Yellow | Vast Pay Gap

$12hr for dockworkers in 1989 look 30yrs later only $16hr and full time tops out at $19hr what a joke. Now the Union made a deal with the devil in Chicago to boost pension payments by a few hundred a month to get people with 5/6 weeks vacation to retire and replace them with cheaper dock workers who will destroy the freight.

Fork freight load repeat, Fork freight load repeat, fork freight load repeat.

ib3ZL9R.jpg

They can always glue the boxes where the forks went in.

Ⅎoɹʞ ɟɹǝıƃɥʇ ʃoɐp ɹǝdǝɐʇ' Ⅎoɹʞ ɟɹǝıƃɥʇ ʃoɐp ɹǝdǝɐʇ' ɟoɹʞ ɟɹǝıƃɥʇ
09gys7q.jpg

$12hr for dockworkers in 1989 look 30yrs later only $16hr and full time tops out at $19hr what a joke. Now the Union made a deal with the devil in Chicago to boost pension payments by a few hundred a month to get people with 5/6 weeks vacation to retire and replace them with cheaper dock workers who will destroy the freight.
Wow 89 a driver was 13.80

I have seen dockworkers with 30 years experience, destroying freight for 30 years. Too lazy to get off forklift, use dunnage, blocking,deck bars properly, or air bags. Many of them started with no pride in their work, and still don’t have any after 30 years.

Wow 89 a driver was 13.80
The minimum wage was somewhere around $3.35 in "89. I was makin' $600 plus a week. Thought I was in "high cotton"....... Just bought a new car for around $4000, mortgage was $225... Gas was less than a buck a gallon.... At Overnite we were $12.40 an hour... Still not bad at the time.....

The minimum wage was somewhere around $3.35 in "89. I was makin' $600 plus a week. Thought I was in "high cotton"....... Just bought a new car for around $4000, mortgage was $225... Gas was less than a buck a gallon.... At Overnite we were $12.40 an hour... Still not bad at the time.....

‘89 I was working for a moving company in SD. Tractor trailer drivers made $13.12, straight truck made $12.85, helpers made $11.85. Cash help made $10 helping OtR load and lump. (Mostly college kids making summer $$) Full healthcare and $1/hr into retirement.

By ‘97, we were only making another $.65/hr. I left and came to Roadway after 20 years in household, encompassing every facet of the industry. I was amazed at the number of ‘brothers’ who bitched, pissed and moaned.

I am proud to work with many of my brothers and admire their ability to succeed under our work rules and technological challenges.

Most of them would not have shown up for a second day in the household industry.

‘89 I was working for a moving company in SD. Tractor trailer drivers made $13.12, straight truck made $12.85, helpers made $11.85. Cash help made $10 helping OtR load and lump. (Mostly college kids making summer $$) Full healthcare and $1/hr into retirement.

By ‘97, we were only making another $.65/hr. I left and came to Roadway after 20 years in household, encompassing every facet of the industry. I was amazed at the number of ‘brothers’ who bitched, pissed and moaned.

I am proud to work with many of my brothers and admire their ability to succeed under our work rules and technological challenges.

Most of them would not have shown up for a second day in the household industry.
Spent 1 year with a Mayflower guy named Chief Logan out of Detroit & Indy. A simple chauffeur license is all you needed. Hard work. But. I learned to tier a 'bed buggy' aka Kentucky low boy trailer. Learned how to drive. Ran all 48 in the household division. Now days, I would run the electronics show circuit. Bed buggy being to hard on the back. Learning how to tier a trailer helped me years later when I worked the dock @ ABF. Met a lot of interesting people & did Military moves that placed you on bases you had no idea existed. Once moved a retired guy to Idaho. Could not get the Steinway Grand thru any door. Man paid to have a whole cut in his roof & they lowered the piano in to the living room. Made the Aerogram magazine with pictures showing the hole in the roof & the piano hanging from a crane. von.

What new car did you buy for $4,000 in 1989?

1.8l Isuzu engine 52 Hp, 55 MPG and what about 70 mph tops?
Yes, the C-201 Isuzu, the same engine was in a Thermo-King reefer unit. Only thing ever went wrong was a glow plug. It was a unique car to merge into traffic with. 70 was about the top, but everything was 55 mph then, it had a 5 speed, with a little time it would hit 75....

Yes, the C-201 Isuzu, the same engine was in a Thermo-King reefer unit. Only thing ever went wrong was a glow plug. It was a unique car to merge into traffic with. 70 was about the top, but everything was 55 mph then, it had a 5 speed, with a little time it would hit 75....
I had one of those. But like my new tandem, it would only do 46mph...