Video cameras in all trucks??

Well, the California Supreme Court just issued an opinion that Drive Cam and similar systems are legal to use to monitor drivers of commercial vehicles. I don't agree with it and was hoping the courts would shoot it down, but no such luck.You can check the Office of Attorney Generals "Monthly legal opinion page". Should be decision #10-511. So glad I only have 10 more months to go. I never even want to see a commercial vehicle after that, nor all the micro-managers.

Come on, this is a great idea. Now you can promote you personal youtude video, or p*on movie with your favorite lot lizard, and not have to buy the equipment. Maybe those office types just want to see if yours is bigger then theirs. What potential for promoting yourself to the movie industry. Isnt it great, big brother is helping promote us.

What's so difficult about simply applying a wee bit of BLACK TAPE on the lens viewing the driver????
That IS what I would do.

The thing is, if it is a company owned truck, and a company owned camera. Doing anything to the camera may violate company policies regarding tampering with or defacing company property.

Giving them grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination.

"Say Dan, What do you do for a living"?

"Well Bob, I sit and watch truckdrivers go down the road picking their nose".

"Say Dan, You are looser. I don't want you dating my sister anymore."

I guess we are making phantom industries that don't make anything or provide a service.

"Say Dan, What do you do for a living"?

"Well Bob, I sit and watch truckdrivers go down the road picking their nose".

"Say Dan, You are looser. I don't want you dating my sister anymore."

I guess we are making phantom industries that don't make anything or provide a service.

or it could be "Chuck" from India watching that video just as well.....:LMAO:

The thing is, if it is a company owned truck, and a company owned camera. Doing anything to the camera may violate company policies regarding tampering with or defacing company property.

Giving them grounds for disciplinary action up to and including termination.

Very true, we are not allowed to block the camera with tape or anything else. Why would I want to? DriveCam has already saved my friends job, ours works like this...it records all the time, when an event triggers the camera such as a big dip in the road, panic breaking, or a collision the camera goes to work, it saves the previous 8 seconds and the next 4 seconds, ours download overnight, providing its a downloadable event, sometimes you will hit a hard bump and it will go off, but it isn't a downloadable event and the light will go back to green, if it stays red it will download later and be sent to DriveCam and then on to the company.

The idea of looking at the driver...lets say you rear end somebody, and you were texting, that takes liability off the company, it also is a tool used to improve driving, as some drivers do things they aren't even aware of, like making a panic stop due to stopped trafic, hitting the other lane without looking, mgmt can use that to coach a driver on that behavior, 9 times out of 10 the driver in question is going to pay better attention.

I like the cameras, like everyone else I complained, then I realized it may save my butt, like it did my friend, the only folks that should have a problem are those that are dumb drivers or overly aggressive, or text while driving, stupid crap like that.

A driver can't be viewed at any time, something has to trigger the camera, an event, then its only for the past 8 seconds and the 4 after the event. If your a professional and do your job correctly, there is nothing to fear from DriveCam. Its a tool that I now enjoy having my back.

DriveCam has already saved my friends job, ours works like this...it records all the time, when an event triggers the camera such as a big dip in the road, panic breaking, or a collision the camera goes to work, it saves the previous 8 seconds and the next 4 seconds, ours download overnight, providing its a downloadable event, sometimes you will hit a hard bump and it will go off, but it isn't a downloadable event and the light will go back to green, if it stays red it will download later and be sent to DriveCam and then on to the company.

if i am not mistaken, this is how the "black boxes" in our personal vehicles work as well....they only record when the computer senses a problem, like sudden brake application, or when the air bags are deployed. they do not record our entire time behind the wheel. as a possible witness to an accident, that may help defend us in court.....or one that can hang us as well....and we all know, the lawyers are ever so willing to see the recordings of the black boxes.

I like the cameras, like everyone else I complained, then I realized it may save my butt, like it did my friend, the only folks that should have a problem are those that are dumb drivers or overly aggressive, or text while driving, stupid crap like that.

A driver can't be viewed at any time, something has to trigger the camera, an event, then its only for the past 8 seconds and the 4 after the event. If your a professional and do your job correctly, there is nothing to fear from DriveCam. Its a tool that I now enjoy having my back.

up to my current (or is it my last job), i have not had any camera's in my trucks. would i welcome them however..?? difficult to say actually. it doesn't take much for something to go wrong from any situation, and that puts the driver in the proverbial hot seat.

so many variables....and as a result, one could be in the hot seat day after day.

going through a construction zone perhaps, and have a car cut across you, as the camera goes "snap", you could be blamed for anything the safety dept feels like accusing you of....just sayin'......

Very true, we are not allowed to block the camera with tape or anything else. Why would I want to? DriveCam has already saved my friends job, ours works like this...it records all the time, when an event triggers the camera such as a big dip in the road, panic breaking, or a collision the camera goes to work, it saves the previous 8 seconds and the next 4 seconds, ours download overnight, providing its a downloadable event, sometimes you will hit a hard bump and it will go off, but it isn't a downloadable event and the light will go back to green, if it stays red it will download later and be sent to DriveCam and then on to the company.

The idea of looking at the driver...lets say you rear end somebody, and you were texting, that takes liability off the company, it also is a tool used to improve driving, as some drivers do things they aren't even aware of, like making a panic stop due to stopped trafic, hitting the other lane without looking, mgmt can use that to coach a driver on that behavior, 9 times out of 10 the driver in question is going to pay better attention.

This video (or a different version of it) was posted here a while back.

The driver had placed his wallet and Stupit Phon in a part of the dash that Volvo trucks have for sunglasses, etc. in a way that partially blocked the camera's view of him while he was driving. He had been viewing a p*on video on the Stupit Phon while rolling down the road, did not see the cops and emergency vehicles that were blocking the road for an earlier accident, and drilled the cop cars, emergency vehicles and other cars.

He killed a police officer.

So even though the camera recorded the event, and provided the evidence needed to ensure the driver would be arrested and charged and the company (hopefully) was released from liability, the fact is the camera did not deter this moron from doing stuff he should not have been doing.

It is unfortunate that because of people like the driver in this video our industry has come under severe scrutiny, and the trend is to increase surveillance of the drivers.

And in some cases it is not deterring the bad behavior it is there to prevent.

Last edited by a moderator: