Yellow | Vitran or Conway?

[quote author=Wrench97 link=topic=79497.msg824121#msg824121 date=1272064859]
You may see a lot of Ex YRC management over there at Conway.
[/quote]

We already have at least one...

Stephen B. who used to be CFO at YRC is now Executive VP & CFO at Con-Way.

Rat

[quote author=Italian Style link=topic=79497.msg824058#msg824058 date=1272041532]
[quote author=Rat link=topic=79497.msg823950#msg823950 date=1271995179]
[quote author=Cityman link=topic=79497.msg823936#msg823936 date=1271989357]
No such thing as a city driver and Conway. You will be a combo driver on call for P+D and linehaul, and work the dock everyday no matter what. You will earn every cent. They do not even have paid breaks at Conway. Go work for any carrier other than Conway.
[/quote]

I work for Con-Way...and have for many years.

Here are some things to consider.

All new hires go to the flex board...or as some other companies call them...combo drivers.

You are on the bubble for call-ins at their discretion...whenever they need you.

You will live by the phone...must be available at their beck and call.

Most terminals run a split flex board...meaning they have a number of peeps on the linehaul flex board and a number of peeps on the P&D flex board. And for the most part that is where you stay until the roster changes...and like everything else in this biz it is seniority that makes the difference.

This is not to say you will be cemented into one or the other...they move things around alot as they see fit.

This is moreso the case since they screwed up our vacation benefit.

In the larger Class I terminals you may be a dock worker for many years before ever seeing the street. In some terminal five years of seniority won't get you there.

And the poster is correct...you will work the dock regardless of what you are doing...linehaul or city P&D...we move our own freight...and as a rule we don't have dedicated dock workers...especially in some of the Class II and smaller terminals.

There you will remain until such a time as you get enough sack to get a bid...that can be a short as weeks after being hired or as long as many years. This is dependent on where you are hired.

As far as I am concerned the smaller the terminal the better..just my personal preference.

Con-Way isn't the worst gig out there...but is has surely went downhill...especially over the last 18 months.

They made some seriously assinine decisions...and those decisions are having a detrimental effect on the operation.

They closed up terminals...ceased operations at some FACs...all done in the name of an economic breakdown...and when it was over...no plans were made as to the next step in the recovery.

We are managed by clueless...self absorbed morons...that live in a rose colored bubble...and to make matters worse...they believe their own BS.

Plus we are held accountable to a non-published policy manual that is applied situationally...as the local managment sees fit.

It is a case of smoke and mirrors.

Take the the offer...I don't anything about Vitran...nothing at all.

But I do know this...Con-Way is on a hiring binge...and the sooner you get in the better you will be in the long run.

But keep looking...this will you get you by until something more conducive becomes available.

It will be OK for the interim...but nothing you will want for the long term.

Rat
[/quote]Is the Con-way hypnotizing secession over? Rat, tell me what is the difference between the Tea Party protesting against the US Government for the Constitutional Rights, and the Teamsters protesting against a Corporate American Company for Workers Rights? Everyone seems to forget those rights as Americans--but don't worry I'm sure Con-way knows what's best for their employees--more than the employees know whats better for themselves.

By the way, I couldn't find any "Wall Street" people who were union or Teamster, but they sure found a way to bankrupt the economy, and steal millions of dollars off of people who were trusted to invest people's money. See what can happen to people when there isn't and Regulations in place of Deregulation. The next form of Deregulation is NAFTA. Then tell me how great Con-way is after that. [/quote]

I have no idea what the hell this post is trying to say.

There is something lacking here...and it seems this post really didn't take the time to consider what I wrote.

I did say Con-Way wasn't the worst gig available...and it isn't...there are lots of jobs that are much worse...some are very bad.

This post appears to be a bashing exercise just for the sake of doing so...OK...I'm good with that...to each their own.

However the post needs to take the time to actually consider what I wrote.

Never in my response (which was an attempt to help a fellow driver in a decision making process) did I ever say that Con-Way
was a great organization or a desirable place to work. If the post actually had any clue to what I wrote...it becomes quite clear...I feel the opposite is the case.

The idea of Con-Way knowing what is better for the employees--more than the employees know what is better for themselves is an ignorant and insulting conclusion.

We are staffed with professional people just like every other organization...and like every other we are managed by people who have sheepskins...bean counters that have absolutely no clue (either by ignorance or choice) of what this job entails.

For the post to make an assumption that the employees at Con-Way do not know what is good for themselves shows a level of ignorance that boggles the mind of any thinking individual.

I have read many of these kinds of posts...and they are essentially useless...the whole "I know everything about everything" genre is boring, insulting, and quite ignorant!

Perhaps the post should take the time to actually read posts rather than assume something just by looking at the title...

And if you really want an eye opener...go to the Con-Way forum and actually read things I have written...

You will find no Kool-Aid in my recent posts...none at all.

Educate yourself...then perhaps an intellegent and relevant post my avail itself.

Rat

I'm just wondering is possible that with so many YRC managers and other parts of Conway that now have YRC guys in high places in Conway whats to stop the YRC top managers from coming in one day and laying off the Conway drivers and hiring all the laided off YRC drivers ? I could be wrong but I don't see anything to stop them . If any one knows please inform me as it would be an education to me . :chairshot:

[quote author=bud starkey link=topic=79497.msg824235#msg824235 date=1272092812]
I'm just wondering is possible that with so many YRC managers and other parts of Conway that now have YRC guys in high places in Conway whats to stop the YRC top managers from coming in one day and laying off the Conway drivers and hiring all the laided off YRC drivers ? I could be wrong but I don't see anything to stop them . If any one knows please inform me as it would be an education to me . :chairshot:
[/quote]

Why would they want to?

The managers I've talked to claim the environment is so much easier to deal with it's like night and day.

no offense to the YRC guys but i have heard the same from the new con-way management that have come to our terminal from YRC...they have all said that there may be 1 or 2 drivers that they would like to bring over to con-way from yrc...i personaly have no bad dealings with the yrc drivers but i will say that i am not impressed one bit with their managers that have made the jump over to con-way...

I drive for Con-way and I like it. I am well paid and well treated. I have a ctiy p&d bid and that is what I do 90% of my day. I do work the dock some days before I go out and when I come back off the street but its not like I am on the dock alot. Con-way is a good out fit with a bright future, don't get fooled by the negative hype about the company. We get paid breaks, we get to take lunches, we have good benefits, and we are given oppurtunities to select start times and jobs "city,road,dock,yard,extra board" every single year. The more time you have at your barn, the more choices you have so the sooner you hire on, the sooner your seniority will start. I have 6 years seniority which gives me the oppurtunity to do anything I want with a few exceptions. The bigger the terminal the better because you move up faster. What ever you decide, good luck in the future.

Vitran or Con-way? Answer: None of the above. Here is the real question, Union or NAFTA? American Rights or Slavery? Get paid in American Dollars or Mexican Pesos? Remember according to Corporate America truck drivers make too much maney as it is. Time to start benefitting the companies and take a wage cut on salaries and insurance for the new Global Economy.

Isn't that another form of spreading the wealth? Corporate American Companies taking more money away from their employees. Trust the Wall Street people, they wouldn't steal anyone's money the second time around. Aren't the Wall Street people union? :biglaugh: Yeah, trust the free market. It will open doors and create people some kind of job security, but then again it may be a different story when it comes to financial security.

Have we all fogotten about the company Enron, so quick?

[quote author=Rat link=topic=79497.msg824230#msg824230 date=1272086842]
[quote author=Italian Style link=topic=79497.msg824058#msg824058 date=1272041532]
[quote author=Rat link=topic=79497.msg823950#msg823950 date=1271995179]
[quote author=Cityman link=topic=79497.msg823936#msg823936 date=1271989357]
No such thing as a city driver and Conway. You will be a combo driver on call for P+D and linehaul, and work the dock everyday no matter what. You will earn every cent. They do not even have paid breaks at Conway. Go work for any carrier other than Conway.
[/quote]

I work for Con-Way...and have for many years.

Here are some things to consider.

All new hires go to the flex board...or as some other companies call them...combo drivers.

You are on the bubble for call-ins at their discretion...whenever they need you.

You will live by the phone...must be available at their beck and call.

Most terminals run a split flex board...meaning they have a number of peeps on the linehaul flex board and a number of peeps on the P&D flex board. And for the most part that is where you stay until the roster changes...and like everything else in this biz it is seniority that makes the difference.

This is not to say you will be cemented into one or the other...they move things around alot as they see fit.

This is moreso the case since they screwed up our vacation benefit.

In the larger Class I terminals you may be a dock worker for many years before ever seeing the street. In some terminal five years of seniority won't get you there.

And the poster is correct...you will work the dock regardless of what you are doing...linehaul or city P&D...we move our own freight...and as a rule we don't have dedicated dock workers...especially in some of the Class II and smaller terminals.

There you will remain until such a time as you get enough sack to get a bid...that can be a short as weeks after being hired or as long as many years. This is dependent on where you are hired.

As far as I am concerned the smaller the terminal the better..just my personal preference.

Con-Way isn't the worst gig out there...but is has surely went downhill...especially over the last 18 months.

They made some seriously assinine decisions...and those decisions are having a detrimental effect on the operation.

They closed up terminals...ceased operations at some FACs...all done in the name of an economic breakdown...and when it was over...no plans were made as to the next step in the recovery.

We are managed by clueless...self absorbed morons...that live in a rose colored bubble...and to make matters worse...they believe their own BS.

Plus we are held accountable to a non-published policy manual that is applied situationally...as the local managment sees fit.

It is a case of smoke and mirrors.

Take the the offer...I don't anything about Vitran...nothing at all.

But I do know this...Con-Way is on a hiring binge...and the sooner you get in the better you will be in the long run.

But keep looking...this will you get you by until something more conducive becomes available.

It will be OK for the interim...but nothing you will want for the long term.

Rat
[/quote]Is the Con-way hypnotizing secession over? Rat, tell me what is the difference between the Tea Party protesting against the US Government for the Constitutional Rights, and the Teamsters protesting against a Corporate American Company for Workers Rights? Everyone seems to forget those rights as Americans--but don't worry I'm sure Con-way knows what's best for their employees--more than the employees know whats better for themselves.

By the way, I couldn't find any "Wall Street" people who were union or Teamster, but they sure found a way to bankrupt the economy, and steal millions of dollars off of people who were trusted to invest people's money. See what can happen to people when there isn't and Regulations in place of Deregulation. The next form of Deregulation is NAFTA. Then tell me how great Con-way is after that. [/quote]

I have no idea what the hell this post is trying to say.

There is something lacking here...and it seems this post really didn't take the time to consider what I wrote.

I did say Con-Way wasn't the worst gig available...and it isn't...there are lots of jobs that are much worse...some are very bad.

This post appears to be a bashing exercise just for the sake of doing so...OK...I'm good with that...to each their own.

However the post needs to take the time to actually consider what I wrote.

Never in my response (which was an attempt to help a fellow driver in a decision making process) did I ever say that Con-Way
was a great organization or a desirable place to work. If the post actually had any clue to what I wrote...it becomes quite clear...I feel the opposite is the case.

The idea of Con-Way knowing what is better for the employees--more than the employees know what is better for themselves is an ignorant and insulting conclusion.

We are staffed with professional people just like every other organization...and like every other we are managed by people who have sheepskins...bean counters that have absolutely no clue (either by ignorance or choice) of what this job entails.

For the post to make an assumption that the employees at Con-Way do not know what is good for themselves shows a level of ignorance that boggles the mind of any thinking individual.

I have read many of these kinds of posts...and they are essentially useless...the whole "I know everything about everything" genre is boring, insulting, and quite ignorant!

Perhaps the post should take the time to actually read posts rather than assume something just by looking at the title...

And if you really want an eye opener...go to the Con-Way forum and actually read things I have written...

You will find no Kool-Aid in my recent posts...none at all.

Educate yourself...then perhaps an intellegent and relevant post my avail itself.

Rat

[/quote]Educate myself? Rat, working for a non-union company as a driver is like appearing in divorce court without an attorney. Why would anyone work for a company when everyone is entitled to nothing, but a company's word that is always subjected to change? Rat, you really want me to go to the Con-way forum?

Educate myself? Rat, working for a non-union company as a driver is like appearing in divorce court without an attorney. Why would anyone work for a company when everyone is entitled to nothing, but a company's word that is always subjected to change? Rat, you really want me to go to the Con-way forum?
[/quote]

People work here because it is a living...nothing more.

This "union is the greatest thing since sliced bread" soapbox speech is gettting old.

From where I stand the IBT sold the folks at YRC down the river....

And they are getting ready to do the same thing to the good people at ABF.

A host of wage and benefit reductions...thousands laid off...and still YRC is not profitable.

So where the hell is the job security...why pay money to a supposed benevolent organization that hasn't the stones to stand up to the financial skullduggery the likes of which no one has seen since Dollar Bill?

The union has no more say than the non-union companies....all they have is written set of rules that are violated at will....amended under threat of closure....and at best grieved...which may or may not be resolved.

So yes...go over the the Con-Way forum (as if your question was supposed to be perceived as a threat)...and educate yourself...there is nothing more on that forum than there is here on this esteemed forum....just a different name on the door.

And please...forego the I am a genious genre...its boring.

Rat

Are you speaking form experience, or are you trying to flatter yourself with having full knowledge of useless information?

I've seen that Con-way forum. Con-way is thinking "Green." Their going to have to hypnotize their employees a lot harder if they going to try to get them to work for 50% less of their "Green" in their paychecks to meet the requirements working under NAFTA. Are Con-way employees ready to spread the wealth back to their beloved Corporate American Company? Now wouldn't that be un-American if that happened, or does it matter what political group does it first? Remember, their are no regulations in a free market.

I will agree. The unions are guilty for establishing a (Middle-Class) in America, and were the only ones fighting to keep NAFTA from happening. What would be the damage if NAFTA passed before this Recession? Imagine that? What did Con-way do to assure their employees that would never take place? A company promise? :biglaugh:

My question still has not been answered. I will ask it again.

What is the difference between the (Tea Party) protesting against the US Government for Constitutional Rights, and the (Teamsters) rallying a strike against a US Corporate Company for Workers Rights?

Don't be shy on asking for some (Strike) placards soon. :biglaugh:

To all the loyal :buttkisser:at Con-way that think their company is so great ain't playen with a full deck . If you guys don't think that the top brass at Con-way ain't chompen at the bit thinking about what happen at Yellow/Roadway and ABF ain't going to happen at Con-way your only fool'en your selves . Myself I would feel very uncomfortable worken for any non company . At least with the union carriers they got to vote on 10 or 15% and there were contract stuff with the union boyz but imagine when a company has no one to answer to they can come in one day and tell ya how its gona be like or not and mostly not . You already ready got YRC management there they know what to do . From what I read Estes, R&L and Vitran drivers ain't any too happy these days . No way in hell is Con-way giong to keep up payen more than a union company , thats the reason they never wanted Con-way to be union . Management will always fight labor thats just the nature of the beast :duel:

[quote author=bud starkey link=topic=79497.msg824748#msg824748 date=1272256135]
At least with the union carriers they got to vote on 10 or 15% and there were contract stuff with the union boyz but imagine when a company has no one to answer to they can come in one day and tell ya how its gona be like or not and mostly not . [/quote]

That's right, you get a vote. Chicago voted no, how did that work out for them? Maybe ABF will vote no too, with the same results.
Now tell me the one about the union carrier that made their way back to 100% after "voting" a pay cut.

[quote author=CCXdriver link=topic=79497.msg824756#msg824756 date=1272257716]
[quote author=bud starkey link=topic=79497.msg824748#msg824748 date=1272256135]
At least with the union carriers they got to vote on 10 or 15% and there were contract stuff with the union boyz but imagine when a company has no one to answer to they can come in one day and tell ya how its gona be like or not and mostly not . [/quote]

That's right, you get a vote. Chicago voted no, how did that work out for them? Maybe ABF will vote no too, with the same results.
Now tell me the one about the union carrier that made their way back to 100% after "voting" a pay cut.
[/quote]Don't worry about it. The free market will be a chopping block on all the non-union companies. Companies aren't collaborating with their employees anymore. It is all about the customers now. In all of logistics, truck transportation is the highest in all of the expences, and the rates will drop on a free market or NAFTA. No one gives a ::shit:: about the truck drivers anymore. Get use to hearing: "Don't like it, go drive some where else!" If I was management it would be all about cost. I would want the most motivated, uneducated, and lowest cost employees I could find to get the job done. WOW JACKPOT! Their all at Con-way.

They look at their bottom line and say what can I cut....

Equipment costs, no those go up.

Fuel costs, no those go up.

Management expenses, no We deserve those.

Employee expenses, Hey that is a good idea. I remember passing 2 new Fords, when I rolled past a terminal in my Mercedes. If I cut their wages by 10%, we'll save tens of millions and trigger our bonuses in a few years.

So yes...go over the the Con-Way forum (as if your question was supposed to be perceived as a threat)...and educate yourself...there is nothing more on that forum than there is here on this esteemed forum....just a different name on the door.

Rat

Rat, I have gone to Con-way forum and posted my oppinions in the past. Your moderator doesn't appreciate different views or oppinions from any union employees.

Now was America Communist when there was Regulation before Deregulation? The way I see it, anytime there was inflation truckers wages went up with the inflation in the country. How are those wages now a days?

If that moderator from Con-way is for the Tea Party against the US Government, also means he is for the Teamsters against NAFTA, correct?

I look at it as the same principle. How is it any different fighting for Constitutional Rights against the US Government, or fighting for Worker's Rights against a Corporate American Company?

I have seen some of the Tea Party people with loaded rifles and loaded magazines strapped around their shoulders, but it doesn't mean their going to fire them at anyone, correct?

Same thing at a Union Strike.

Just because some people wearing ski masks have baseball bats, bricks, stones, chains, brass knuckles, carpenter nails, grease bombs, unlit cocktails, chain saws, eye-mase, spray paint, hunting knives, hardware/yard tools, or duel pick-up trucks with the snow plow shovels on the front of trucks on the strike line, and in their grasps, doesn't mean their going to swing, throw, or ram at anyone, right?

It's all part of the Rights of who and what we all are today, Americans.

I went out job hunting today (my day off), and stopped over at Milan. They only want to pay $11.50 an hour! I told that guy he's nuts. And he replied that in today's economy, he could pay whatever he wants, that there's a lot of unemployed drivers out there. I told him that I hope he gets what he pays for.

[quote author=CDLguy link=topic=79497.msg824911#msg824911 date=1272315273]
I went out job hunting today (my day off), and stopped over at Milan. They only want to pay $11.50 an hour! I told that guy he's nuts. And he replied that in today's economy, he could pay whatever he wants, that there's a lot of unemployed drivers out there. I told him that I hope he gets what he pays for.
[/quote]
:thumbsup: Good going. Even though the economy sucks, he will be getting what he pays for. Look for a Milan truck in a ditch near you, coming soon.

[quote author=CDLguy link=topic=79497.msg824911#msg824911 date=1272315273]
[/quote]Gee, don't we all love those right to work states. Get paid whatever a company feels like paying out. We all have to help those non-union US Corporate American Companies on the free market some how. $11.50 an hour? So a day's work is worth a pair of Nike gym shoes. Looks like Jose and Hodgie found themselves jobs after all. I wonder how the Con-way drivers would react on working for $11.50 an hour? They can be happy that the union isn't standing in their way on the free market pay scale. :biglaugh:

[quote author=R-14Driver link=topic=79497.msg824017#msg824017 date=1272034786]
[quote author=TurboJ link=topic=79497.msg824008#msg824008 date=1272032906]
[quote author=R-14Driver link=topic=79497.msg824002#msg824002 date=1272030807]
The next time you get a retirement check from the ( as you say ) POS Union will you accept it ? The next time you have to use your Union Medical will you ? Can you say two face ?
[quote author=TurboJ link=topic=79497.msg824001#msg824001 date=1272030444]
Some of you guys make me laugh! :biglaugh: Always conways a crap company. Their employees are :badword:! They're not :badword:! :badword: are people that cross a picket line! You want to blame someone, blame the biggest pos union on the face of this planet. They allowed CF to start a non union company and pour BILLIONS of dollars into it from CF. If the pos union had enforced the contract(not the best contract ever, we'd have to wait later for that), you know, the no double tittying(breasting), CF would be the monster of the ltl industry. Yeah, I know who to blame for 90% of our problems, the stank-in pos union and 90% of the pos union officials, do you?
[/quote]
[/quote] Lets get something straight here, Thats "my" money, not the pos union's! Thats money that I worked for and got because of the union and union brothers from years ago, not the pos that we've had the last 15 years or so. Lord only knows how much of our pension money is wasted supporting who knows what. And if that money was invested by myself or you or the members they'd be a lot better off today because of the incompetence we have now(the pos union is doing everything it can to scam the taxpayers into taking it over). No, I don't use the pos union's medical because I refuse to be ripped off. Why should I pay for a useless third layer of bureaucracy just so some pos union fatcats can become rich! Yes, I will be cashing "my" check! Hows that for 2 faced? PS: How much money would you have in a retirement account thats yours instead of the pension fund when the government takes it over? At least a lot of pos union officials will still get theirs and they thank you very much while :biglaugh: all the way to their bank!
[/quote]

OK I take it back you are only a ONE FACE :poke: :biglaugh:
[/quote] Ok. As long as you don't try to buy me off with a can of that gawd awful schlitz you keep in your cooler! "When you're out of urine, you're out of schlitz" or something like that! :biglaugh: