Yellow | Vitran or Conway?

cdlguy

Credits
I got responses today from both for jobs (city drivers). Any YRC people ever work at either one? Or know first hand what it's like for union guys to get jobs there? I hate to quit one job that I can tolerate temporarily, for an even crappier job.

No such thing as a city driver and Conway. You will be a combo driver on call for P+D and linehaul, and work the dock everyday no matter what. You will earn every cent. They do not even have paid breaks at Conway. Go work for any carrier other than Conway.

[quote author=Cityman link=topic=79497.msg823936#msg823936 date=1271989357]
No such thing as a city driver and Conway. You will be a combo driver on call for P+D and linehaul, and work the dock everyday no matter what. You will earn every cent. They do not even have paid breaks at Conway. Go work for any carrier other than Conway.
[/quote]

I work for Con-Way...and have for many years.

Here are some things to consider.

All new hires go to the flex board...or as some other companies call them...combo drivers.

You are on the bubble for call-ins at their discretion...whenever they need you.

You will live by the phone...must be available at their beck and call.

Most terminals run a split flex board...meaning they have a number of peeps on the linehaul flex board and a number of peeps on the P&D flex board. And for the most part that is where you stay until the roster changes...and like everything else in this biz it is seniority that makes the difference.

This is not to say you will be cemented into one or the other...they move things around alot as they see fit.

This is moreso the case since they screwed up our vacation benefit.

In the larger Class I terminals you may be a dock worker for many years before ever seeing the street. In some terminal five years of seniority won't get you there.

And the poster is correct...you will work the dock regardless of what you are doing...linehaul or city P&D...we move our own freight...and as a rule we don't have dedicated dock workers...especially in some of the Class II and smaller terminals.

There you will remain until such a time as you get enough sack to get a bid...that can be a short as weeks after being hired or as long as many years. This is dependent on where you are hired.

As far as I am concerned the smaller the terminal the better..just my personal preference.

Con-Way isn't the worst gig out there...but is has surely went downhill...especially over the last 18 months.

They made some seriously assinine decisions...and those decisions are having a detrimental effect on the operation.

They closed up terminals...ceased operations at some FACs...all done in the name of an economic breakdown...and when it was over...no plans were made as to the next step in the recovery.

We are managed by clueless...self absorbed morons...that live in a rose colored bubble...and to make matters worse...they believe their own BS.

Plus we are held accountable to a non-published policy manual that is applied situationally...as the local managment sees fit.

It is a case of smoke and mirrors.

Take the the offer...I don't anything about Vitran...nothing at all.

But I do know this...Con-Way is on a hiring binge...and the sooner you get in the better you will be in the long run.

But keep looking...this will you get you by until something more conducive becomes available.

It will be OK for the interim...but nothing you will want for the long term.

Rat

I worked at conway.you'll work your hiney off.no break times.and cya at all cost if you wanna keep your job.the insurance cost out the wazzoo.

You had to watch out for yourself.too many snitches.you also had watch your rank or seniority.because if you are driver.dispatchers could run others ahead of you that were junior to you.you couldn't file for a run around.they would keep doing it.if you didn't catch them.

Well so much for the truth about Conway, now let's hear from the -------- [employees] at Conway to tell you it is the best thing since spoiled milk

edited content. Vwaggs

I have been talking to Conway drivers around Indy latley and they all say they hire 20 and hope to keep 5, most quit, some fired. Even a 15 year guy said he doesn't like it much anymore. Always afraid for his job. Same story from one of our guys who worked there while laid off. He said he would go almost anywhere else if given a choice again.
Our guys who came back from Vitran didn't like it much there either but I don't know if they were just spoiled at Holland (I know I have been)
I know they all say that PJax treated their drivers better before the buyout.
Just my opinion based on what I hear. I have NO first hand experience.

The next time you get a retirement check from the ( as you say ) POS Union will you accept it ? The next time you have to use your Union Medical will you ? Can you say two face ?
[quote author=TurboJ link=topic=79497.msg824001#msg824001 date=1272030444]
Some of you guys make me laugh! :biglaugh: Always conways a crap company. Their employees are sccabs! They're not sccabs! Sccabs are people that cross a picket line! You want to blame someone, blame the biggest pos union on the face of this planet. They allowed CF to start a non union company and pour BILLIONS of dollars into it from CF. If the pos union had enforced the contract(not the best contract ever, we'd have to wait later for that), you know, the no double tittying(breasting), CF would be the monster of the ltl industry. Yeah, I know who to blame for 90% of our problems, the stank-in pos union and 90% of the pos union officials, do you?
[/quote]

[quote author=R-14Driver link=topic=79497.msg824002#msg824002 date=1272030807]
The next time you get a retirement check from the ( as you say ) POS Union will you accept it ? The next time you have to use your Union Medical will you ? Can you say two face ?
Some of you guys make me laugh! :biglaugh: Always conways a crap company. Their employees are sccabs! They're not sccabs! Sccabs are people that cross a picket line! You want to blame someone, blame the biggest pos union on the face of this planet. They allowed CF to start a non union company and pour BILLIONS of dollars into it from CF. If the pos union had enforced the contract(not the best contract ever, we'd have to wait later for that), you know, the no double tittying(breasting), CF would be the monster of the ltl industry. Yeah, I know who to blame for 90% of our problems, the stank-in pos union and 90% of the pos union officials, do you?
[/quote]
[/quote] Lets get something straight here, Thats "my" money, not the pos union's! Thats money that I worked for and got because of the union and union brothers from years ago, not the pos that we've had the last 15 years or so. Lord only knows how much of our pension money is wasted supporting who knows what. And if that money was invested by myself or you or the members they'd be a lot better off today because of the incompetence we have now(the pos union is doing everything it can to scam the taxpayers into taking it over). No, I don't use the pos union's medical because I refuse to be ripped off. Why should I pay for a useless third layer of bureaucracy just so some pos union fatcats can become rich! Yes, I will be cashing "my" check! Hows that for 2 faced? PS: How much money would you have in a retirement account thats yours instead of the pension fund when the government takes it over? At least a lot of pos union officials will still get theirs and they thank you very much while :biglaugh: all the way to their bank!

[quote author=TurboJ link=topic=79497.msg824008#msg824008 date=1272032906]
[quote author=R-14Driver link=topic=79497.msg824002#msg824002 date=1272030807]
[/quote]
[/quote] Lets get something straight here, Thats "my" money, not the pos union's! Thats money that I worked for and got because of the union and union brothers from years ago, not the pos that we've had the last 15 years or so. Lord only knows how much of our pension money is wasted supporting who knows what. And if that money was invested by myself or you or the members they'd be a lot better off today because of the incompetence we have now(the pos union is doing everything it can to scam the taxpayers into taking it over). No, I don't use the pos union's medical because I refuse to be ripped off. Why should I pay for a useless third layer of bureaucracy just so some pos union fatcats can become rich! Yes, I will be cashing "my" check! Hows that for 2 faced? PS: How much money would you have in a retirement account thats yours instead of the pension fund when the government takes it over? At least a lot of pos union officials will still get theirs and they thank you very much while :biglaugh: all the way to their bank!
[/quote]

OK I take it back you are only a ONE FACE :poke: :biglaugh:

when your unemployment runs out you won't be fussy at all. Steady work at a decent rate-dock,-city-road..paid medical...ya gotta do what ya gotta do to keep the
191912793_4a3a56c65d.jpg

:hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :hissy: :hissy:​

[quote author=Rat link=topic=79497.msg823950#msg823950 date=1271995179]
[quote author=Cityman link=topic=79497.msg823936#msg823936 date=1271989357]
[/quote]

I work for Con-Way...and have for many years.

Here are some things to consider.

All new hires go to the flex board...or as some other companies call them...combo drivers.

You are on the bubble for call-ins at their discretion...whenever they need you.

You will live by the phone...must be available at their beck and call.

Most terminals run a split flex board...meaning they have a number of peeps on the linehaul flex board and a number of peeps on the P&D flex board. And for the most part that is where you stay until the roster changes...and like everything else in this biz it is seniority that makes the difference.

This is not to say you will be cemented into one or the other...they move things around alot as they see fit.

This is moreso the case since they screwed up our vacation benefit.

In the larger Class I terminals you may be a dock worker for many years before ever seeing the street. In some terminal five years of seniority won't get you there.

And the poster is correct...you will work the dock regardless of what you are doing...linehaul or city P&D...we move our own freight...and as a rule we don't have dedicated dock workers...especially in some of the Class II and smaller terminals.

There you will remain until such a time as you get enough sack to get a bid...that can be a short as weeks after being hired or as long as many years. This is dependent on where you are hired.

As far as I am concerned the smaller the terminal the better..just my personal preference.

Con-Way isn't the worst gig out there...but is has surely went downhill...especially over the last 18 months.

They made some seriously assinine decisions...and those decisions are having a detrimental effect on the operation.

They closed up terminals...ceased operations at some FACs...all done in the name of an economic breakdown...and when it was over...no plans were made as to the next step in the recovery.

We are managed by clueless...self absorbed morons...that live in a rose colored bubble...and to make matters worse...they believe their own BS.

Plus we are held accountable to a non-published policy manual that is applied situationally...as the local managment sees fit.

It is a case of smoke and mirrors.

Take the the offer...I don't anything about Vitran...nothing at all.

But I do know this...Con-Way is on a hiring binge...and the sooner you get in the better you will be in the long run.

But keep looking...this will you get you by until something more conducive becomes available.

It will be OK for the interim...but nothing you will want for the long term.

Rat
[/quote]Is the Con-way hypnotizing secession over? Rat, tell me what is the difference between the Tea Party protesting against the US Government for the Constitutional Rights, and the Teamsters protesting against a Corporate American Company for Workers Rights? Everyone seems to forget those rights as Americans--but don't worry I'm sure Con-way knows what's best for their employees--more than the employees know whats better for themselves.

By the way, I couldn't find any "Wall Street" people who were union or Teamster, but they sure found a way to bankrupt the economy, and steal millions of dollars off of people who were trusted to invest people's money. See what can happen to people when there isn't and Regulations in place of Deregulation. The next form of Deregulation is NAFTA. Then tell me how great Con-way is after that.

A simple solution is to go wherever is the least anti union and get a union drive going? :banana: But everyone wants to just :hissy: and :buttkisser: the POS company.

I was wondering when some of these trucking companies were going to enforce their employees to speak Spanish, and get paid in pesos. "Whatever is best for the company." Isn't that the famous non-union company motto, these days?

Or, he could just go get a job at a union company. Simple solution.

[quote author=truckinusa link=topic=79497.msg824060#msg824060 date=1272041722]
A simple solution is to go wherever is the least anti union and get a union drive going? :banana: But everyone wants to just :hissy: and :buttkisser: the POS company.
[/quote]

[quote author=Boilerpeddle link=topic=79497.msg823992#msg823992 date=1272027401]
I have been talking to Conway drivers around Indy latley and they all say they hire 20 and hope to keep 5, most quit, some fired. Even a 15 year guy said he doesn't like it much anymore. Always afraid for his job. Same story from one of our guys who worked there while laid off. He said he would go almost anywhere else if given a choice again.
Our guys who came back from Vitran didn't like it much there either but I don't know if they were just spoiled at Holland (I know I have been)
I know they all say that PJax treated their drivers better before the buyout.
Just my opinion based on what I hear. I have NO first hand experience.
[/quote]

That's the kind of info I was looking for, not all the nonunion vs union stuff. I can't contact the guys at YRC that went to Conway; I know one guy quit YRC to stay at Conway, but not sure about the others. I don't know anyone at Vitrans. The guys over on Vitrans' board aren't very happy with their jobs. The guys that went to ABF from YRC in Indy all got laid off from ABF 2 weeks ago. I'm hauling gas, which doesn't pay much & has EXPENSIVE crappy insurance, but yet there's steady work & I don't have to put up with too much company crap. I want to be careful not to go to something worse than I have now. I think it's going to be a long layoff. Over at Indy YRC, they let another bunch of supervisors go this week.