Yellow | Voluntary Layoffs ?? why not ??

wongway

-15% Yellow step-child supporter !!
Credits
Ok with talks of layoffs coming , WHY can't we have VOLUNTARY LAYOFFS ??? union says its the company and the company says its the union ?? so who is a LIAR ?? if the company is so BROKE then let a senior guy take VOLUNTARY LAYOFF at higher pay and work a new hire at a lower pay !!! DUH , just small money saving things like this would help $$$$$$ it's like OMG we got 5th graders running this company !!!! they do nothing to try to cut O.T. costs or empty linehaul trips ??? or simple as VOLUNTARY LAYOFFS to save money !!!!!:regretful:

waste is prevalent that a little bit of savings amounts to pissing in the ocean. they spend thousands to save 1, tens of thousands to screw somebody, and millions because they can't manage anything.
yrc is a kingdom, not a business.

Contract does not allow for that and neither side will want to open that one up unless they do it in the shiny new MOU. You'd have a better chance of getting a leave of absence (LOA), they're legal if all agree to them but no unemployment is paid.

Ok with talks of layoffs coming , WHY can't we have VOLUNTARY LAYOFFS ??? union says its the company and the company says its the union ?? so who is a LIAR ?? if the company is so BROKE then let a senior guy take VOLUNTARY LAYOFF at higher pay and work a new hire at a lower pay !!! DUH , just small money saving things like this would help $$$$$$ it's like OMG we got 5th graders running this company !!!! they do nothing to try to cut O.T. costs or empty linehaul trips ??? or simple as VOLUNTARY LAYOFFS to save money !!!!!:regretful:

I have the same problem. They'll hang a layoff but to have them let me go home instead takes an act of congress. Then sometimes when I get my check they banged me for a vacation day ! I just don't understand the problem. You'd think you'd be a real hero for doing this and letting a junior guy work but everybody (supervisor included) thinks your getting a big favor. Then when they do have a layoff, the junior guys wont use there sick days so they will come back from being layed off and want Friday off sick !!!!! So I guess its better to have LESS seniority ???? I will never figure this outfit out ? If you want OT and are real money hungry they constantly try to get you off the clock but if you just want out, they try to keep you there like a hostage. Again.....**** poor and corrupt management.

You're being kind when you 5th graders. More like 2nd graders or special ed.

very true , the supervisors think its FUNNY to be forcing O.T. , and they don't even try to cut OT costs !!! instead IF you want to go home & let a junior guy work at lower pay , they say NOPE ??? and also as far as the MOU , them rules have been changed alot since 2009 , so yes this could happen too , other companies do it all the time , this company really just does NOT have a clue on how to save labor costs , but to keep asking the SHEEP for more givebacks !!!

I would bemore then happy to collect unemployment for the winter let junior guy run lol

They are just manipulating the numbers like they always do. As far as voluntary layoffs go, we've had drivers on voluntary layoff for close to two years now. If the company is laying off and you want to take one read articles 42 and 43.

I tried, my TM tried and "No Way" was the answer I got. Other Teamster Companies I worked for found language they could allow it under so I never understood why "NO". One reason I came up with is YRC still wants you on call, Senior man is not gonna answer the phone. Another is most likely you'll not get another job and come back with most of your vacation. Also no chance of replacing you with a new hire eventually. Didn't like it but nobody cared.

I tried, my TM tried and "No Way" was the answer I got. Other Teamster Companies I worked for found language they could allow it under so I never understood why "NO". One reason I came up with is YRC still wants you on call, Senior man is not gonna answer the phone. Another is most likely you'll not get another job and come back with most of your vacation. Also no chance of replacing you with a new hire eventually. Didn't like it but nobody cared.

If there had been Voluntary layoffs, I'd probably still be on the seniority board. I was laid off by a letter from Yellow in Oct 2008; called back via a letter from roadway in March, 2009. I went in and talked to the Ops mgr. Said if they don't recall me until there is real work, I'd stay. He couldn't do that, per the contract. So i resigned, rather than report. Sure enough, guys worked 60 hrs per week for 3 weeks, then were laid back off again. Many laid off quit not horrible jobs to come back, only to be laid back off and not be able to go back to the 'replacement' job. Voluntary layoffs makes sense, but won't happen until enough want it in the contract....

If there had been Voluntary layoffs, I'd probably still be on the seniority board. I was laid off by a letter from Yellow in Oct 2008; called back via a letter from roadway in March, 2009. I went in and talked to the Ops mgr. Said if they don't recall me until there is real work, I'd stay. He couldn't do that, per the contract. So i resigned, rather than report. Sure enough, guys worked 60 hrs per week for 3 weeks, then were laid back off again. Many laid off quit not horrible jobs to come back, only to be laid back off and not be able to go back to the 'replacement' job. Voluntary layoffs makes sense, but won't happen until enough want it in the contract....
Ya in my case I was gonna look for work Locally without the commute. No intentions of ever coming back but wanted the option. They put it in the Crossover Change (think it was that one) where a guy could stay on layoff using Inverse Seniority "call back" and the world did not come to an end because of it.

very true , the supervisors think its FUNNY to be forcing O.T. , and they don't even try to cut OT costs !!! instead IF you want to go home & let a junior guy work at lower pay , they say NOPE ??? and also as far as the MOU , them rules have been changed alot since 2009 , so yes this could happen too , other companies do it all the time , this company really just does NOT have a clue on how to save labor costs , but to keep asking the SHEEP for more givebacks !!!
In reality it's cheaper to work a guy on OT isn't it. They only pay H&W, and pension on first 8 hours worked?

Ok , found out that the Central Region does NOT offer the same voluntary layoffs, as the Western States does ? but WHY NOT ?? this should be company wide no matter what region you work in , so Please everybody tell your local BA's that this should be offered to everybody , as IF they are so " BROKE " then offer this as a way to save money ??? plus this is taking our SENIORITY RIGHTS away by giving layoff to a jr. guy before asking us if we want VOLUNTARY LAYOFF !!! it would be kinda nice to take VOLUNTARY LAYOFF , FOR A MONTH OR TWO THIS WINTER WHEN THE DOCK IS -10 BELOW & A FOOT OF SNOW !!!!

Ok , found out that the Central Region does NOT offer the same voluntary layoffs, as the Western States does ? but WHY NOT ?? this should be company wide no matter what region you work in , so Please everybody tell your local BA's that this should be offered to everybody , as IF they are so " BROKE " then offer this as a way to save money ??? plus this is taking our SENIORITY RIGHTS away by giving layoff to a jr. guy before asking us if we want VOLUNTARY LAYOFF !!! it would be kinda nice to take VOLUNTARY LAYOFF , FOR A MONTH OR TWO THIS WINTER WHEN THE DOCK IS -10 BELOW & A FOOT OF SNOW !!!!

Once one takes voluntary layoff, one cannot return to work voluntarily. One can only return when recalls commence.

You have no control of your destiny once you take voluntary layoff.

You cannot return to work when you decide and bump another into layoff status.

that could be , but the way I understand it works at other companies is say you would sign up for 30 day voluntary layoff and then come back to work after the 30 days , but their has to be a way to offer this to save the company some money & help out the guys that want voluntary layoff for a month or 2 or even 6 months ??? they can change the work rules for everything else , then they can change some rules for this too ????

that could be , but the way I understand it works at other companies is say you would sign up for 30 day voluntary layoff and then come back to work after the 30 days , but their has to be a way to offer this to save the company some money & help out the guys that want voluntary layoff for a month or 2 or even 6 months ??? they can change the work rules for everything else , then they can change some rules for this too ????
Contract, or MOU. Propose it, see how far you can get it to fly.... :biglaugh: