Pitt-Ohio | Volvo's ??

ltltrkr

TB Veteran
PREMIUM
Credits
I saw a Pitt Ohio Volvo the other day, I thought you guys stuck strictly with Mack. Was this just a test tractor like the freightliners a few years back.

I saw a Pitt Ohio Volvo the other day, I thought you guys stuck strictly with Mack. Was this just a test tractor like the freightliners a few years back.
They bought 20 or so used ones a couple years ago because they were in a bind. Mack was slow getting the new ones to them. Theres also a bunch of new Freightliners with the CNG engines

They bought 20 or so used ones a couple years ago because they were in a bind. Mack was slow getting the new ones to them. Theres also a bunch of new Freightliners with the CNG engines
CNG engines, that's interesting. Have not seen any of those yet.

I was assigned a Volvo to replace a Sterling that was being retired. it was the quietest, roomiest, smoothest riding, best maneuvering, ugliest, and worst pulling truck I'd ever driven. The rumor I heard was that the previous owners, Talon Logistics/Giant Eagle, had some sort of removable part, like a computer chip, that was replaced with the factory original when the trucks were traded in. Whatever was done caused these trucks to fall flat on their face at the very sight of a hill. This info came from a Talon driver who I was having trouble keeping up with despite the fact that I was empty and he had 14k lbs of groceries on a reefer. He was in tractor #627 and according to the key chain that came with my tractor, I was in ex-#632. It's a shame because I would've liked to stay in that tractor long term. There are now a few white Volvo single axles with Pitt Ohio logos at the Pittsburgh terminal. My guess is that these were part of a used equipment purchase for Dohrn and they decided to keep a few for city work.

I believe there are only 6 CNG Freightliners, definitely less than 10, and they are based at the Pittsburgh and West Middlesex terminals because they have easier access to filling stations than other terminals.

We have Volvo's at GFS and some 2006-2007 Internationals thrown in there for fun. Yeah the Volvo's that we have pull the loads, but our transit drivers have trouble in the big hilly areas.