ABF | VOTING YES??? TAKE A LOOK AT THIS

sayno2abf

TB Lurker
Credits
i had a response to my last post to the effect that some people are voting yes because they are single parents and dont want to lose this job. 1st of all EVERYONE has a right to vote how they want and they are certainly entitled to thier opinions but for those who are voting yes thinking that this will save thier jobs keep a couple of things in mind-- 1st of all NEVER has a company with concessions survived but the top ceo's did alright, and in the case of abf they (abf) have preached to us for a couple of years now the need to be competetive with yrc because they have concessions and we dont and its costing abf about $11 a hour more in labor, and we are losing customers to pricing.

babb,kemp, and davidson all said ( at 034 anyway) that abf will NOT lower thier rates if this concession goes through
so how does abf expect to compete if they are not going to make changes?? are the shippers going to say oh ok abf you got what you wanted we will just ship with you instead of going with cheaper yrc?
remember abf is not stupid when it comes to seeing the future and making $$ and everyone knows that yrc is on borrowed time, when they go abf will pickup a ton of business and probably hire yrc workers --- who would only be making about $11.80 in starting pay because we voted in a concession -- abf is looking to move ALOT of freight at a cheap cost.

something is in the works for them to be pushing this so hard so fast and lets remember people when they start having good years again we need to go back to our union and say hey how about opening up the contract for us for a change and show us a piece of the pie.

if you truly need to vote yes so be it but please dont be scared into it remember these top dogs are very well trained at being able to speak properly and eloquently. BEWARE!!!!

thanks for reading everyone

Yeah but truck drivers are more intelligent now a days than they were years ago. They always find a way to please a company.

Trucking companies are always finding people to :shift: more for a lesser wage, and it doesn't matter if the drivers/dock workers are union or non-union.

It isn't about job security, it is about financial security, and Corporate America has everyone of their employees up against the ropes ready to throw the knock out punch. :chairshot: No offense, but welcome to modern day slavery. :iamnotworthy:

All trucking companies are counting on the :buttkisser: to stay and :shift: to make the difference for everyone else. It isn't about other trucking companies that are :duel: against one another anymore, it is the workers who have to :duel: against one another just to stay working.

Good luck everyone, I hope I am wrong in the long run, but I don't see another way around this one. Teamsters are not what they used to be years ago. Just look at YRC. The (Y)es (R)unning (C)rew.

The only thing making me lean toward voting yes is if we vote it down, then a year from now, if we are still in business, they will be coming after our pension and health. At least if we vote for it, it would be alot harder for them to try to get anything from us next year if the economy starts to turn around.

[quote author=woodennose link=topic=79929.msg827922#msg827922 date=1273276138]
The only thing making me lean toward voting yes is if we vote it down, then a year from now, if we are still in business, they will be coming after our pension and health. At least if we vote for it, it would be alot harder for them to try to get anything from us next year if the economy starts to turn around.
[/quote]

Once you give in,just keep on planning to give more and more.It will never end! By your one phrase"if we are still in business",says it all in the way you are thinking. You actually think that ABF is in very dire need of help.If this is what you believe and you have every right to believe that and vote yes! I just hope that you weren't influenced by the company or the union and came to that conclusion by your own research and observations at and around the workplace.

It's the subliminal message that keeps coming out of corporate america. We need wage concessions,we need a new pension plan and after enough repetition you start believing what is said. Tell yourself I work for my wages and like to make a fair wage for being a professional driver. ABF hires the best drivers and worker's in the industry pay us as the best in the class.

[quote author=Double barrel link=topic=79929.msg827970#msg827970 date=1273290025]
It's the subliminal message that keeps coming out of corporate america. We need wage concessions,we need a new pension plan and after enough repetition you start believing what is said. Tell yourself I work for my wages and like to make a fair wage for being a professional driver. ABF hires the best drivers and worker's in the industry pay us as the best in the class.
[/quote]KIND OF LIKE LOOKING AT $500,000 HOUSES AND AFTER SEEING ABOUT 20 OF THEM IT DOESN'T SEEM SO BAD.... TILL YOU HAVE TO START PAYING FOR IT IF YOU BOUGHT ONE.....

[quote author=Double barrel link=topic=79929.msg827970#msg827970 date=1273290025]
[/quote]The best drivers in the world are the people that will do the job next to nothing. What is sad is that there are more :buttkisser: and :iamnotworthy:, than there are Teamsters :chairshot: these days.

Truck driving isn't a career anymore, it is just be a low paying job with little to no benefits, now.

[quote author=woodennose link=topic=79929.msg827922#msg827922 date=1273276138]
[/quote]

Transportation annalist have already have predicted that even with a 15% concession, expect at the end of the contract for them to ask for additional concessions being wage or benifits. So, a Yes just means you are willing to eventually give up more.
Please try to understand how "healthy" this company really is.
"if we are still in business"???
you just bought into their sales plan to us.
I think you probably would by snow in Alaska if they pitched that at you too.
THINK!!!!!!!!