ODFL | Wage And Benefit Meeting

Managing hours doesn’t necessarily mean cutting the daily hours. The just cut you a day and fill it with a junior or combo driver. The hostler’s at a certain barn are pulled out of the goat one day a week and put on the dock to avoid the overtime payment. Let’s see in my daily travels I see Unified Grocers, ABF, UPSF, YRC all being pulled by cut throats. What happens to the drivers that should have those runs. Sitting at home. I get my information from a former employee of one of those companies. Now do we want to be sitting at home while a duct tape special is pulling our trailers?

If managing hours means going from 55 to 50 hours I would take it. Current rate is 27.90, right? So that would be 1534.50/week. 50 with overtime is 1597.50. $60 extra to work 5 fewer hours! Tell me how this is a big loss?
Our current rate is $29.73 and after the raise will be $30.63

90 cents is big dissappointment. OR less than 78% and our raise not even 3%.

I am sad to see so many people here happy with such a small raise.
The actual hourly is 3% and with the 20% increase in the 401k contribution it bumps it up to 4%. Last year we came out with a 4.5% raise but they raised our insurance $5 more week. The .019 cpm comes out to 2.9%. I know for me on my current run and with my 401k weekly contribution it comes out to an $83 a week raise. The rate of inflation was around 1.6% last year. I'm linehaul and I'm grossing $2159.00 for a 10 hour gate to gate run. I'm personally ok and happy with what they gave me.

If y’all want to make excuses for them fine by me. Me, I’d rather work less and make the same or a little less rather than be expected to work 55+ hours a week. I work to live, not the other way around. There is not an LTL operation around that’s not designed for city drivers to work less than 50 hours a week.

If y’all want to make excuses for them fine by me. Me, I’d rather work less and make the same or a little less rather than be expected to work 55+ hours a week. I work to live, not the other way around. There is not an LTL operation around that’s not designed for city drivers to work less than 50 hours a week.

Getting funny listening to these boys saying they’d rather be working more hours with no ot,, big od force to pay me ot in Wa state and I made 78k last year and only run line two time,, hows that for hour cutting

Not getting rich like fly but all my house been paid for and vehicles paid living the good life,,

Managing hours down to 40 from current averages would be awfully difficult. Can you imagine how many more drivers they would have to hire to get everyone down to 40? Common sense says the benefits alone, let alone more equipment would be cost prohibitive. They could manage it a little, but most city guys I know are working 56-58 hours a week. That’s 16-18 hours per week per employee they would have to reduce. In a barn of 25 city drivers that’s 450 man hours of reduction. Equals out another 10 drivers and that still only reduces it to 45 hours. Say they added 6 trucks (rough guess as to what it would take to have adequate equipment) would be $720,000 in equipment alone. For one barn. I can’t even tell you what the added benefit cost would be. I tried to look up my total compensation and the OD website is down. What I’m saying is that paying overtime is more effective. I know they don’t HAVE to, but based on their profit margins they SHOULD.
Agree, song. You factored in new equipment for additional drivers. Not sure, by your numbers, if you also factored in fuel, insurance and maintenance costs on those trucks. BIG number there. OD should just do the right thing. Pay their drivers OT after 8, or at least 40 hours.

Last edited:
Well said, song. Are you thinking, as I am, that OD exploits the fact that LTL city operations are based on drivers working at or near 50 hours a week?

Stick it out. I’ve been here going on my 15th year. I started at one terminal and transferred here

I would stay with OD if possible. I want to move back towards my home area. There is a barn in my home town (13 drivers) and one in plan B, a city a little north of my home town (30 some drivers?). Really depends on if I can transfer without waiting for ever. OD retains drivers like a mofo lol

Getting funny listening to these boys saying they’d rather be working more hours with no ot,, big od force to pay me ot in Wa state and I made 78k last year and only run line two time,, hows that for hour cutting

Not getting rich like fly but all my house been paid for and vehicles paid living the good life,,

Plus a fleet of new zero turns, you don't have to worry about feeding a herd of stinking goats, you can't beat your deal with a stick.
Not referring to Ump's goats, not sure if he has a herd or flock.

If managing hours means going from 55 to 50 hours I would take it. Current rate is 27.90, right? So that would be 1534.50/week. 50 with overtime is 1597.50. $60 extra to work 5 fewer hours! Tell me how this is a big loss?
Compare your tax hit at working 45hrs Vs 55
You're only considering gross.
After about 48hrs,taxes hit you HARD. OT really softens that blow .

If you work say, 55+hrs without OT, you're probably giving up about 65% of your pay in taxes.

Agree, song. You factored in new equipment for additional drivers. Not sure, by your numbers, if you also factored in fuel, insurance and maintenance costs on those trucks. BIG number there. OD should just do the right thing. Pay their drivers OT after 8, or at least 40 hours.

I didn’t go that far into detail, just stating one obvious fact. And I figured one truck to two drivers was a conservative estimate, especially since both would be city. Kinda hard to run two drivers in one truck during the daytime.

Yeah I think it’s kinda funny too, let me work myself to death! I want to spend 12 hours a day at work!