SEFL | Wages

If I had a say, a healthy untouchable pension guaranteed to be there when I retire. Based on the restructuring of central states and being underfunded I wouldn't bet all my eggs. I have 10 yrs vested with 705 up in Chicago and the last letter I received stated that fund was under 50% funded as well.
My situation is that I need driving experience and at YRC I rarely get a chance to go to the yard let alone drive. I'm not complaining, they tell all new hires right from the start that driving will be minimal for a few years. To be honest, my road test at SEFL 2 days ago was dreadful. I have only driven the volvos at yrc and the international at SEFL had me to be shifting much different than what I learned on at yrc. The safety trainer relayed this to the TM at SEFL. With 3 dock to driver trainees in front of me at SEFL I would work the yard and some dock to practice more backing and shifting until early June when the other trainees are finished up.
I'd be ok with the workload if having weekends off, anything from 6 days a week at Sysco 11-14 hr days is a step in the right direction. Sysco North TX. is a non-union hub, can't say I liked how they did certain things there all of the time but I tolerated it until I made a decision to leave to upgrade to class A for better opportunities.
I actually took a pt fedex express courier job close to home last summer because it allowed me to go to YRC in mornings to train for tractor trailer. Not sure how Fedex freight operates entirely but I have read posts and and would imagine it's as tight of a ship as fedex express is, idk. After 4 short months I was more than ok leaving fedex express. I actually would have kept the pt courier job but the hours conflicted with yrc once they put me on my 30 days to train routes with various drivers.
It's a tough decision, I know there will be a lot more pressure at SEFL, likely similar to my days at Sysco. I think I need to take SEFL up on their offer and willingness to give me a chance to improve my driving skills. Weekends off sounds like a luxury, my gf would surely like that as well. I haven't burned any bridges at yrc and last I checked I was on the bottom of the totem pole in seniority. Guess I could always go back if it didn't work out at SEFL.

If I had a say, a healthy untouchable pension guaranteed to be there when I retire. Based on the restructuring of central states and being underfunded I wouldn't bet all my eggs. I have 10 yrs vested with 705 up in Chicago and the last letter I received stated that fund was under 50% funded as well.
My situation is that I need driving experience and at YRC I rarely get a chance to go to the yard let alone drive. I'm not complaining, they tell all new hires right from the start that driving will be minimal for a few years. To be honest, my road test at SEFL 2 days ago was dreadful. I have only driven the volvos at yrc and the international at SEFL had me to be shifting much different than what I learned on at yrc. The safety trainer relayed this to the TM at SEFL. With 3 dock to driver trainees in front of me at SEFL I would work the yard and some dock to practice more backing and shifting until early June when the other trainees are finished up.
I'd be ok with the workload if having weekends off, anything from 6 days a week at Sysco 11-14 hr days is a step in the right direction. Sysco North TX. is a non-union hub, can't say I liked how they did certain things there all of the time but I tolerated it until I made a decision to leave to upgrade to class A for better opportunities.
I actually took a pt fedex express courier job close to home last summer because it allowed me to go to YRC in mornings to train for tractor trailer. Not sure how Fedex freight operates entirely but I have read posts and and would imagine it's as tight of a ship as fedex express is, idk. After 4 short months I was more than ok leaving fedex express. I actually would have kept the pt courier job but the hours conflicted with yrc once they put me on my 30 days to train routes with various drivers.
It's a tough decision, I know there will be a lot more pressure at SEFL, likely similar to my days at Sysco. I think I need to take SEFL up on their offer and willingness to give me a chance to improve my driving skills. Weekends off sounds like a luxury, my gf would surely like that as well. I haven't burned any bridges at yrc and last I checked I was on the bottom of the totem pole in seniority. Guess I could always go back if it didn't work out at SEFL.
Yes, right now it's a drivers market. That will change before long I think. It will go back to company market and jobs will be scarce so figure it out fast lol