Estes | Wait times

A few years back the dot wanted on duty to start when you left the house
I was ready to present a grievance once on an extra-board driver forced to stay available at home waiting for a call back. Per the letter of the law, he was not off duty. As a newer driver he gave in to some pressure, {I believe} and withdrew it.

Von. I do not understand your reply. I am compensated for ALL time I am there. Except 30 min lunch. A Duie Pyle pays all ltl drivers by the hour. Not complaining at all
My bad. I mis read your post. That is why in the summer of 1998 I went looking for a trucking out fit that paid me for ALL related work to the job. A good 17.5 years @ ABF. Being paid by the hour really changed the way I worked compared to by the mile. And the best results of being paid for all my work as a truck driver, was my attitude. Being well compensated for your work for a company can & will have a profound effect on whether the company tanks or survives. von.

I was ready to present a grievance once on an extra-board driver forced to stay available at home waiting for a call back. Per the letter of the law, he was not off duty. As a newer driver he gave in to some pressure, {I believe} and withdrew it.
Does the new driver still allow the company to abuse him like that? I bet there to many tractors sitting in yards with no one to hold the steering wheel to put up with much abuse from any employer. von.

Good luck with that.

If you want to get paid while you wait, clock in and jump on a fork lift and earn it.
If I have reported for work and on the job and the company has nothing for me to do for some period of time, why should I not be paid for that time? Don't understand your thinking here. It's management's duty to assign me a task not my responsibility to go find one.

If I have reported for work and on the job and the company has nothing for me to do for some period of time, why should I not be paid for that time? Don't understand your thinking here. It's management's duty to assign me a task not my responsibility to go find one.
I don't know about today's rules, we were not allowed on the dock or a forklift.
If you were delayed at your departure time and didn't have hrs to complete your trip, you were paid 6 hrs and sent home.

I think he’s talking about running to a hub and waiting on hooks back to his home terminal.

I think he’s talking about running to a hub and waiting on hooks back to his home terminal.
Even so, if they do not have anything for you to do, you are still on duty. The Company has a right to expect some sort of work if you are being paid, sweeping the dock, dock work, hooking or fueling. Only if a driver refuses the offer of work and chooses to remain idle should they not be paid for waiting time. If no work is offered, then waiting time should be compensated.
Do the math and it is considerable.
If you have an average wait time of 2 hours per night at $30/hr.
$300 a week
$1,200 a month
$14,400 a year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the new driver still allow the company to abuse him like that? I bet there to many tractors sitting in yards with no one to hold the steering wheel to put up with much abuse from any employer. von.
Actually, no. The constant sit by the phone, erratic schedule, general bottom of the board blues, he left not too long after the grievance was discussed.
Last I heard was he was with an OTR carrier out of Greensboro.

You can bet your sweet bibby the bosses know how much it costs for a driver to sit & be paid. And, if you sit there allowing the company to NOT pay you for waiting after you have been summoned to work, you know who to complain to. von.

Guarding the phone and the erratic schedule was the life of the extra board in my days.
How many of us were extra-board back in the dark ages? Before answering machines, text, cell phones, that was a real PITA, but we didn't know better. At least now you don't have to sit and stare at the clock or the phone for hours.
If I remember correctly, I had a 10-minute window to call or I fell to the bottom of the board. I think it was like 7:40 pm.

How many of us were extra-board back in the dark ages? Before answering machines, text, cell phones, that was a real PITA, but we didn't know better. At least now you don't have to sit and stare at the clock or the phone for hours.
If I remember correctly, I had a 10-minute window to call or I fell to the bottom of the board. I think it was like 7:40 pm.
Ryder usually called on the hour.
They tried for 1 hr before dropping you to the bottom.

Estes drivers are not represented by the Teamsters.

The last page and half of responses only make sense on yrc TForce or ABF board.

@Crumudgeon am I wrong though? Lol
That is partially true. My comments weren't directed at a Union shop per se.
Just because you are not represented doesn't mean you don't have power in numbers.
The fact that on-duty time is not compensated is an industry wide issue, if only we as whole, Union and non, work for its correction, things would improve drastically and quickly. As a realist I understand that is unlikely to happen, as long as another driver, dock. etc., is willing to skirt the laws and rules for their own benefit nothing will change. Management knows this and if the drivers' police themselves, that is good for them. That is not unique to a non-Union shop, there are drivers that will stop at nothing to gain a bid spot or seniority at all levels.
4 or 5 hours of detention without compensation is a raw deal, likely violates some labor laws in some states. Let their own policies work for you, log it legal and in time maybe it will change. I realize that's like cutting your own throat as far as available work hours and I understand that is hard to deal with. If one of your trucks is delayed at a customer, they pay to keep it there beyond the time allowed by the tariff. We should be afforded the same policy.
The Union is not a magic place where all is wonderful, we have the same issues, we won't pay you for that, we won't pay your off-route miles, and so on. At the least representation allows you to challenge unfair and illegal actions through a flawed, {at times} process.
Somewhere in your Company there has to be a way to do the same.
If all is well and you are happy with the status quo, be safe, be well, and good luck.........

Log it all on duty, mass drivers running out of hours would get their attention.
If you are not free to leave the property and must be available for loads with short notice you are not off duty. Depending on what State you are in that could be a violation of minimum wage law. Just a thought......
Lately there has some talk about Driver compensation when waiting flying around Washinton, making some noise might help.
I know the U word is verboten at your Company, so I won't even mention it...
That's what I do ,waste your time, not mine,

Log it all on duty, mass drivers running out of hours would get their attention.
If you are not free to leave the property and must be available for loads with short notice you are not off duty. Depending on what State you are in that could be a violation of minimum wage law. Just a thought......
Lately there has some talk about Driver compensation when waiting flying around Washinton, making some noise might help.
I know the U word is verboten at your Company, so I won't even mention it...
Absolutely