Estes | Wait times

They dont allow you unless you are a hub driver. If you are line haul you sit and wait period.
Wrong. Tell Em you're gonna go shoot some billiards and give them your cell phone number and the number for the pool hall. And if they tell you there's no billiard hall's open at 3 AM tell me there is one in your basement. Or do and/or tell them any other thing that might work. Your bosses and company is telling you your time is not valuable, Prove them wrong. With company's throwing out $10000 bonuses to bring somebody on board there's too many jobs in the marketplace for you to sit there and not get paid. Remember you agreed to employment based on what you think your services are worth. Apparently they're worth less than you agreed to when you allow them to call you to work make you sit for 2 or 3 hours and not pay. But it's easy for me to play armchair quarterback because I'm retired. I can promise you I quit at least 2 trucking companies because they wouldn't compensate me for my time either sitting or proper compensation for working the freight. Good luck and remember remember you're in charge of your destiny not dispatch.von

Wrong. Tell Em you're gonna go shoot some billiards and give them your cell phone number and the number for the pool hall. And if they tell you there's no billiard hall's open at 3 AM tell me there is one in your basement. Or do and/or tell them any other thing that might work. Your bosses and company is telling you your time is not valuable, Prove them wrong. With company's throwing out $10000 bonuses to bring somebody on board there's too many jobs in the marketplace for you to sit there and not get paid. Remember you agreed to employment based on what you think your services are worth. Apparently they're worth less than you agreed to when you allow them to call you to work make you sit for 2 or 3 hours and not pay. But it's easy for me to play armchair quarterback because I'm retired. I can promise you I quit at least 2 trucking companies because they wouldn't compensate me for my time either sitting or proper compensation for working the freight. Good luck and remember remember you're in charge of your destiny not dispatch.von
When I worked at Con-Way I got a linehaul bid, told to come in at 7pm.... I did and the loads would never be ready and I would sit there for a couple of hours...I didn't do that for long, so when I would come in I would punch my time sheet and fill out my log.... a couple of the round mouthers would see me and say "you aren't going to get paid for it"....and "now you won't be able to do a via on Friday night".... I would tell them I didn't care, I don't lie on my log...they would get upset.....I'm sure they told the TM like the girls that they are, because the TM talked to me about it and I said the same thing to him.....he told me they would start calling me every afternoon with a time to come in.....not ideal, but better than sitting with some suckwads for a couple hours....before anyone gets the wrong idea, some of my former co-workers were good guys and some sucked...its like that everywhere....

I was ready to present a grievance once on an extra-board driver forced to stay available at home waiting for a call back. Per the letter of the law, he was not off duty. As a newer driver he gave in to some pressure, {I believe} and withdrew it.
We had the same issue and HOS regulations are clear that it is on duty time. The problem became that the junior people were burning hours not getting paid or earning benefits. The company literally outlasted us.

We had the same issue and HOS regulations are clear that it is on duty time. The problem became that the junior people were burning hours not getting paid or earning benefits. The company literally outlasted us.
Understood. The laws are written by the same people that are beholden to big money. The ATA, UPS, all the Companies pool together to get favorable legislation. Feeding your families is not a priority. Shareholders over workers every time.

Understood. The laws are written by the same people that are beholden to big money. The ATA, UPS, all the Companies pool together to get favorable legislation. Feeding your families is not a priority. Shareholders over workers every time.
Ya like the two overnights of 1am to 5 am required for a reset , that was cancelled in a day , attempting to reverse time and a half law takes 10 presidents

I've made a little over 100 last year. I work just a little over 8 hours. Then there's that extra 30. Sometimes it turns into a little extra. Take a 40 min nap, go in the store get your coffee etc. The drive home after work. Dr appointment, have a beer at the Mexican restaurant, flirt with seniorita. Go to bed and back at it again. In reality, a regular desk job is 8 hours. Normally have an hour for lunch. Normally unpaid, making your day 9 hours. The drive to work and back is figured in those 8 hours. Getting ready for work. Most normal jobs are daytime where you'll need to burn days to take care of buisness. There's really not much of a life for anyone in America. Wish we had 4 day schedules. I'd have my name all over it

I've made a little over 100 last year. I work just a little over 8 hours. Then there's that extra 30. Sometimes it turns into a little extra. Take a 40 min nap, go in the store get your coffee etc. The drive home after work. Dr appointment, have a beer at the Mexican restaurant, flirt with seniorita. Go to bed and back at it again. In reality, a regular desk job is 8 hours. Normally have an hour for lunch. Normally unpaid, making your day 9 hours. The drive to work and back is figured in those 8 hours. Getting ready for work. Most normal jobs are daytime where you'll need to burn days to take care of buisness. There's really not much of a life for anyone in America. Wish we had 4 day schedules. I'd have my name all over it
The 4 is out there , too bad most are like beverage delivery

Why didn't you take the seniorita home. von

It's one of those things where, if you're serious, you've gotta to be quiet and not let everyone know.
If you want to take her home you've gotta be prepared to be stuck with her and it may take years to get rid of her. At my age, it ain't worth the trouble or $$$$
When your older you think about the consequences , when young don't know what that is

I’ve hit over 100 for a couple years now and didn’t really mean to. I don’t think I’ve worked more than 50 hours except during the mandatory extra day periods. Usually around 40-45.
When running out of a big city terminal the first and last 20 miles is an hour ride , Indiana Borman expressway and Illinois 294 not lucrative for mileage driver

Last edited: