Wal-Mart maybe the Best professional driving jobs in this era !

Thanks Stoney! What type of questions should i ask them? Is it a real pressure cooker during the interview?lol Who gives the road test is it another driver or a Safety Manager?

Thanks Stoney! What type of questions should i ask them? Is it a real pressure cooker during the interview?lol Who gives the road test is it another driver or a Safety Manager?

Well, just think about any question you already have about them, I'm sure you got some.
It's about not coming across as a robot, you want a good back and forth.

Also, don't dis your current employer. Don't tell em your current job sucks, Even if it does. Be very complementary to your current employer.
When they ask why your leavin, just say that Wal-Mart offers a better schedule, pay, home time. All that good crap.

They are basically looking for an honest, positive professional. Not a grouchy, negative gear jammer.

How many drivers are you looking for?

How did the jobs become available? retires, growth etc.

What is a tipical day/schedule like for a driver?

How long can the hiring process take from this point?

It's not a pressure cooker, just stay calm and think before you answer and don't over think it. You will ride with the safety manager. You will be asked to do a pre-trip as you would normally do, be thourough, 2/3 of applicants fail the pre-trip. Good Luck

I have a close relative who works for Wal-Mart as a driver and to agree with wally6092 u do make on average for the first year or so 65K or more and as for the company the do things right for treating their driver's in a professional capacity, but this is a two way street, they expect their driver's to be professional while on the road and they reward them for that. I have recently started my applacation process with them in hopes that they will accept me for a position as a driver. I only wish that all large trucking companies would follow their lead, it certainly would lessen the turn over rate.

I got the call day before yesterday for a "2nd interview". went in yesterday morning and got the job offer, I accepted it and then got sent for a drug test and a dot physical.

Application was in Aug 21st. Got the call yesterday for an interview. My interview is on Oct 18th.

A quick question, do they expect you to use the clutch at all times?? I don't want to blow this, and am very easy on a truck, without using it all the time.

I have been through 2 road tests. The first one, I was told to use the clutch. The second road test, the subject did not come up...

One thing I can tell you is, ASK QUESTIONS IF YOU ARE UNSURE, on the pre-trip and road test.

Take the pre-trip very seriously!!

Good luck!
Application was in Aug 21st. Got the call yesterday for an interview. My interview is on Oct 18th.

A quick question, do they expect you to use the clutch at all times?? I don't want to blow this, and am very easy on a truck, without using it all the time.

Thanks for the info. I am not shy about asking questions. I will be getting the CDL handbook to brush up on my pre-trip inspection list. I'm pretty picky about my pre-trips, but there are probably a few nits that I have forgotten to pick. LOL

I was told they will do the driving test "if" there is time, and to bring everything I need, just in case. They said "like your CDL, medical card, etc." I'm thinking, how the heck am I driving there for the interview without my license. LOL However, in this day and age, I guess they can't "assume" common sense.

A great place that will help you on your pre-trip, is to go to youtube, and put in class 8 pre-trip inspection. There are some truck driving schools who have posted videos of proper pre-trips. I watched them, and they helped me a great deal.
Thanks for the info. I am not shy about asking questions. I will be getting the CDL handbook to brush up on my pre-trip inspection list. I'm pretty picky about my pre-trips, but there are probably a few nits that I have forgotten to pick. LOL

I was told they will do the driving test "if" there is time, and to bring everything I need, just in case. They said "like your CDL, medical card, etc." I'm thinking, how the heck am I driving there for the interview without my license. LOL However, in this day and age, I guess they can't "assume" common sense.

you interviewing in smyrna De by chance ? I have a interview there the 19th.. best of luck to you

Ok, a few questions on the test drive.

I've driven a propane tanker, which is NOT 53' long, for the last 7 years. My job prior to this, was hauling Walmart trailers for NFI. However, to say I am rusty with a 53' trailer, would be an understatement. If I am totally honest with the gentleman who is with me on the test, about being rusty with a 53' van, will they cut me some slack?? I will be slow and careful in situations where the length of the trailer is an issue, but I will be real slow backing one up, and get out and check alot. The swing on a 53' trailer is completely different than my short tank.

As for the pre-trip. How long are they willing to let you take, for you to be thorough??

I've driven a propane tanker, which is NOT 53' long, for the last 7 years. My job prior to this, was hauling Walmart trailers for NFI. However, to say I am rusty with a 53' trailer, would be an understatement. If I am totally honest with the gentleman who is with me on the test, about being rusty with a 53' van, will they cut me some slack?? I will be slow and careful in situations where the length of the trailer is an issue, but I will be real slow backing one up, and get out and check alot. The swing on a 53' trailer is completely different than my short tank.

As for the pre-trip. How long are they willing to let you take, for you to be thorough??

Wal-Mart hires from all walks of trucking, I've known 15 yr FXF drivers that had to take that road test and they had been pulling sets for 15 yrs, I think its more about your driving skills and ability to adapt, thats my take from knowing guys that drive there.

No company wants you to spend an hour on a pre-trip, 15 min is a long time to do one, in fact its an eternity, like one guy on here said, look at the vid that the schools have put up, do stuff that you wouldn't normally do like run your hands over the air and electrical lines to make sure there is no fraying, I'm a pre-trip kid, I can wear you out doing one. Mine consist of about 2 minutes..lol, thats not what WM wants to see I'm sure. Like a guy on here said, take it seriously, take your time, stop second guessing yourself. Your a pro or you wouldn't have got this far.

Grocerydude is right. Wally hires from all sorts of trucking.

When I did my road test with Wally, I did very well except for my backing. On the pr-trip, I just kept going, and pointing out stuff till the safety man said to stop. Inside and out!

I too have driven nothing but doubles that last 10 years. But driving around the city, pulling the 53 came back to me. Like you said, just take your time and don't be scared to take wider turns if you feel more comfortable that way.

Like I said my backing wasn't too great. 53's back totally different than 28's. I didn't hit anything. But I did take my time and had to do 3 or 4 pull ups.

After the road test, the safety man asked why he should hire me over a driver who is a better backer in 53's.
A fair question by him.
My answer was simple and honest.
I said I know my backing wasn't pretty, but I did take my time and wasn't afraid to pull forward. And that I use to back 57's 6 to 7 times a night back on Tx. And I'm just rusty and confident it will come to back to me.
He liked the answer and passed me.

Now, I didn't get the job because of silly mistake on the App.

I'm sure you will do fine my friend. Just be safe and professional, don't try to be a super trucker.

The road test will last about 30 miles. Backing, city driving, hyw/mountain and backing again.
While driving, be relaxed, make small talk, and don't be afraid to ask questions about driving for Wally.

Oh! Before the road test. Don't be afraid to ask the safety man what he's looking for. I asked if he wanted double clutching or floating, and if button hooks were ok. My safety man said floating and button hooks were fine. Yours may be different.
And don't throw in neutral and coast to stop signs or lights. Down shift!!!!!!!!!
I almost blew it there too.

Again good luck driver!!

Grocerydude is right. Wally hires from all sorts of trucking.

When I did my road test with Wally, I did very well except for my backing. On the pr-trip, I just kept going, and pointing out stuff till the safety man said to stop. Inside and out!

I too have driven nothing but doubles that last 10 years. But driving around the city, pulling the 53 came back to me. Like you said, just take your time and don't be scared to take wider turns if you feel more comfortable that way.

Like I said my backing wasn't too great. 53's back totally different than 28's. I didn't hit anything. But I did take my time and had to do 3 or 4 pull ups.

After the road test, the safety man asked why he should hire me over a driver who is a better backer in 53's.
A fair question by him.
My answer was simple and honest.
I said I know my backing wasn't pretty, but I did take my time and wasn't afraid to pull forward. And that I use to back 57's 6 to 7 times a night back on Tx. And I'm just rusty and confident it will come to back to me.
He liked the answer and passed me.

Now, I didn't get the job because of silly mistake on the App.

I'm sure you will do fine my friend. Just be safe and professional, don't try to be a super trucker.

The road test will last about 30 miles. Backing, city driving, hyw/mountain and backing again.
While driving, be relaxed, make small talk, and don't be afraid to ask questions about driving for Wally.

Oh! Before the road test. Don't be afraid to ask the safety man what he's looking for. I asked if he wanted double clutching or floating, and if button hooks were ok. My safety man said floating and button hooks were fine. Yours may be different.
And don't throw in neutral and coast to stop signs or lights. Down shift!!!!!!!!!
I almost blew it there too.

Again good luck driver!!

What is a button hook? I never heard that term.

What is a button hook? I never heard that term.

Really? Come on driver!! It's diagram B.
nuqetava.jpg

Really? Come on driver!! It's diagram B.
nuqetava.jpg

Thanks Bro, really, never heard of it, A is correct, B will get you in an accident, thats because some douche will run up on the right side of you, we have these all the time at Sysco, narrow streets, in small towns and long boxes, A is what the book says, if you do B and get hit, its on you.

Thanks Bro, really, never heard of it, A is correct, B will get you in an accident, thats because some douche will run up on the right side of you, we have these all the time at Sysco, narrow streets, in small towns and long boxes, A is what the book says, if you do B and get hit, its on you.

No prob. Ya it's a risk. The trick is keeping your trailer tandems as close to the curb as possible to keep that moron behind you from shooting the gap.

Every now and then I have pull a 53 around LA, and I use the B,H..

No prob. Ya it's a risk. The trick is keeping your trailer tandems as close to the curb as possible to keep that moron behind you from shooting the gap.

Every now and then I have pull a 53 around LA, and I use the B,H..

I do the same, I just make sure to do the same as you, I prefer the right way, and the look on the motorist face that thinks they are fixin to get creamed :)