Yellow | Warning letters for no lunches

contract states lunch must be between 4th and 5th hour. They could fire you for stealing time if you take it later

[quote author=thejoe link=topic=80104.msg829531#msg829531 date=1273780115]
contract states lunch must be between 4th and 5th hour. They could fire you for stealing time if you take it later
[/quote] As much as it pangs me to say this, joe is almost right!!! The best contract ever says "lunch" after 4, before 6. Any stankin driver that plays the I didn't take "lunch" scam should be fired on the spot. "Lunch" is the most important pick up of the day. The pos company could have the most time critical(roadway's copy cat of yellow's exact express which is a copy cat of CF's prime time) shipment in their history and I'd still miss it to have "lunch"! Breaks come in right on the heels of "lunch". The pos company doesn't have to pay you if you don't take it but a lot of :buttkisser: don't care. I'd completely understand if someone turned them in to the proper authorities. Skipping "lunch", totally moronic. Damn company :buttkisser:!!!

[quote author=TurboJ link=topic=80104.msg829544#msg829544 date=1273786878]
[/quote] As much as it pangs me to say this, joe is almost right!!! The best contract ever says "lunch" after 4, before 6. Any stankin driver that plays the I didn't take "lunch" scam should be fired on the spot. "Lunch" is the most important pick up of the day. The pos company could have the most time critical(roadway's copy cat of yellow's exact express which is a copy cat of CF's prime time) shipment in their history and I'd still miss it to have "lunch"! Breaks come in right on the heels of "lunch". The pos company doesn't have to pay you if you don't take it but a lot of :buttkisser: don't care. I'd completely understand if someone turned them in to the proper authorities. Skipping "lunch", totally moronic. Damn company :buttkisser:!!!
[/quote]Thats the problem with YRC. The (Y)es (R)unning (C)rew, they don't know how to take breaks. Time to start putting GPS trackers around all the drivers' ankles now.

This whole "not takin a lunch break" is for you hard chargin L/H drivers also. David @ 309 told me last nite the words that I hate to hear most, "I have drivers running that in 5.5. hrs." My reply to him was, "if you want it done legally and safe than it will take me six hours to do and I plan to take a break somewhere along the way". Furthermore if you want it to be ran like that you shoulda called one of your go-to-guys not me.

P.S. Italian Style since this is your old stompin grounds I know you will reply to this and when you do can you do all of your fans a favor and reply as "Sphagetti JG." I really miss him.

[quote author=skinnytrucker link=topic=80104.msg829567#msg829567 date=1273793268]
This whole "not takin a lunch break" is for you hard chargin L/H drivers also. David @ 309 told me last nite the words that I hate to hear most, "I have drivers running that in 5.5. hrs." My reply to him was, "if you want it done legally and safe than it will take me six hours to do and I plan to take a break somewhere along the way". Furthermore if you want it to be ran like that you shoulda called one of your go-to-guys not me.

P.S. Italian Style since this is your old stompin grounds I know you will reply to this and when you do can you do all of your fans a favor and reply as "Sphagetti JG." I really miss him.
[/quote]There is a problem with that, because I am not spaghettijg. Spaghettijg started threads and controversy amongst a lot of drivers. I don't start threads on the website. I can try, but I probably wouldn't draw the numbers as good as he did. I just form opinions and point out the facts, to the best of my knowledge. Everyone here on this website has that equal opportunity.

Just tell Mr. 90210 at 309 that Chicago doesn't and never had run times. You get there when you get there, and try to avoid the night foreman's office as much you can. Very letter happy for insubordination.

[/quote] You can't be fired for stealing time if you call and tell them. My point was if they send you some where and you can't take your lunch because you can't leave, then you are most certainly entitled to take your lunch later on in the day. Ran into this at CF. They would send you in knowing you would be held there every time and then when you got out it was hurry up and get back to the yard. They proved their point ( can send me in) Then I proved mine ( still entitled to lunch) try it some time!

If you can't leave they could still tell you to take your lunch. If duty calls you get paid thru lunch and got a twenty min break coming when you leave if they tell you to. Otherwise sit in your truck for lunch. There is language in the contract..'lunch will be taken between the 4th and 6th hour only'. If the place you're at tells you to pull out check with your dispatcher

I had a Driver Supervisor give a pre-shift regarding no lunches some time ago. He asked, but did not require, drivers not request "no lunch" at the end of the day. His theroy, was if you walked out the door, after requesting no lunch, you might still be considered, "on the clock", and could, if injured, say in a car accident on your way home, the accident could be considered an OJI, which the company would be on the hook for your injuries. That was just his personal viewpoint.

[quote author=mike9895 link=topic=80104.msg829908#msg829908 date=1273894655]
Rest assured the non-unions are not contending with a lunch issue
[/quote]You would think YRC would bring that up in a safety meeting. Come to think of it, I believe there wasn't a safety meeting ever taken place since the merger. Hmmm, imagine that?

In California for all full time employees, a lunch is mandatory after the forth hour, and before the start of the fifth hour. A second lunch is available between the tenth and twelfth hour, but not mandatory. It can be waved off. A second lunch is mandatory after the twelfth hour, and a warning letter will be issued of these procedures are not followed. TP

[quote author=Twice Pipes link=topic=80104.msg829975#msg829975 date=1273925926]
In California for all full time employees, a lunch is mandatory after the forth hour, and before the start of the fifth hour. A second lunch is available between the tenth and twelfth hour, but not mandatory. It can be waved off. A second lunch is mandatory after the twelfth hour, and a warning letter will be issued of these procedures are not followed. TP
[/quote]YRC linehaul drivers better start showing that entry on their logbook, because IL-DOT are going to start fining drivers that don't show the 1/2 hr break on their logbook after 5hrs. It is the 1/2 hr entered on the "Off Duty" line. I am sure other states will be doing the same thing. Just trying to give everyone at 309 and anyone else that drives through Illinois, a heads-up.

Lunch may not start before the 4th hour nor end after the 6th hour.

Back in the times before this rule when a P&D driver walked in the door at 8:00am a dispatcher could tell him that he was on lunch between 8 & 9. (perhaps they were waiting for his load)

If, at his regular lunch hour, a driver is ordered to work through his lunch, then he is paid time and 1/2 for the hour but still gets 20 minutes to eat.

If he is at a stop and told to go to lunch:
If he is backed in, then he should lock his unit including the back door. A dispatcher may not order a dropped box to avoid paying a lunch hour.
If he is on line, then he should secure his unit and go to lunch. People behind him in line, as a matter of courtesy, should be informed. If circumstances are such that it's impossible for others to go around him, then he should pull out of line.

Dispatchers should be told what the probable consequences are before you take any action. If you are ordered to do the thing that is not contractual--then do it. Afterward file a claim.

You should have your shoppie's number. Keep him informed so he doesn't get blindsided by management.

Before retirement I was in Local 707 and worked out of the Roadway barn in Brooklyn

[quote author=mike9895 link=topic=80104.msg829908#msg829908 date=1273894655]
Rest assured the non-unions are not contending with a lunch issue
[/quote]

Yes, they are. With 22 years in at Yellow twice, CF and ABF. Now at Fedex Freight.
We take a lunch between the 4th and 6th hour, mandatory. It's become very common.

[quote author=R-14Driver link=topic=80104.msg829330#msg829330 date=1273718185]
[quote author=Kennesaw Kid link=topic=80104.msg829323#msg829323 date=1273717458]
Don't take this the wrong way Brother.....but do you know how many Teamsters have fought and walked the sidewalks in order for you and others to have the right to a lunch? Work by the rules....THEY agreed to them....YOUR Union fought for them!.....KK
[/quote]

AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
It's called breaking down working conditions.

502ps7.jpg

have lunch..you'll feel better​

[quote author=Italian Style link=topic=80104.msg829990#msg829990 date=1273931356]
[quote author=Twice Pipes link=topic=80104.msg829975#msg829975 date=1273925926]
[/quote]YRC linehaul drivers better start showing that entry on their logbook, because IL-DOT are going to start fining drivers that don't show the 1/2 hr break on their logbook after 5hrs. It is the 1/2 hr entered on the "Off Duty" line. I am sure other states will be doing the same thing. Just trying to give everyone at 309 and anyone else that drives through Illinois, a heads-up.
[/quote]

When the hours of service changed to 11 hrs of driving so did the need to show breaks. It is not required by DOT.......

How hard is it for some of you guys. If they tell you to take lunch , take it. If you want to take it and your not told you have to. They can't keep you from taking a break. From what I see you Yellow guys must love being at work you all screw off at work and bitch about having to work. Everything is an illegal run to some of you. You want the money but you just want to sit around and get paid.

Me I hate work and I want to get it over with as fast as I can and go home. Well cry babies its your turn.

Well in your case then, just carry that pee-bottle and don't worry about. Wait til the dispatcher is done drinking it first, to use it later on the road. :biglaugh: