ABF | Warning: This is a RUMOR I heard about ABF Systems

After 28 years of trucking. There is only one thing that concerns me. My pension. I want out as soon as possable. Im ready!!! And can I help you, Welcome to Walmart!!!!

After greeting as many people as I have in trucking, in the past 14 years, I would rather shovel $hit then work @ walmart....:biglaugh:

What you didn't say is what your doing for it?

Are you in the city working 40 or less?
Are you on the road and if so how long of a run, are you home daily, how many hrs a week are you logging?

Make no mistake, unless your an idiot everyone at all of these co's knows what the other makes and who pays more. But as far as pay goes we are not that far apart, now start talking benefits and yes I'm jealous, I would love to have a pension that will pay 2-3k a month out, it would be great to have co paid health.
But, and there is a but, I don't want to go to the bottom again, I don't want to get laid off every year. I prefer to be 14 miles from the yard instead of 40 and wonder if my vehicle is going to be there when I return and if so if it will be broke into or have to drive a beater so I don't worry about it, kinda defeats the purpose of making more.

I am where I am by choice, we all choose wether to stay or go. Or wether to organize or not. These are decisions made based on many things.

I know I make what I do because the Union keeps the pressure on, I don't want the Union to go down as Puff or others here have said, they will say that the pay scale is driven by driver shortages but if that were true why is it that the Union carriers are always the highest pay?

I have seen the reference by some that if you work at a Non and admit that the Union is what drives the pay then you are a free rider, in reality that is false, I end up paying much more than dues in added costs of healthcare so it is no free ride. Yes I know that they were referring to the fact they stand the line each contract time and take the risk to secure a contract that the rest just try and imitate closely, not exactly just close enough.
But, there is no support of a Union at FXF, if you start pushing for it you might just as well go to Yellow or USF ABF besause you will be out the door soon enough, you know it, I know it, we all know it. Even with a Union if you step on the wrong toes and they want you gone bad enough they will get you, eventually.

Sorry for the long rant but it kinda chaps my butt when we get into the pissing contest and someone talks down to someone else. We are all doing the same job and probably for the same reason, taking care of our families while weighing what works best for us.

Take care
FM

You tell them purple man...:smilie_132:

I've been a truck driver almost 37 yrs.20 of them with ABF.I don't believe in rumors in this business.Don't believe it till it happens.I've found that people who start them and spread them are very unhappy people.Both at their job and with their homelife.If you're bored while driving turn on the radio,and stop thinking of things that "could happen".

ABFshuttleNut,
Welcome to Truckingboards and great post. I can't believe how many guys are so wrapped up in what if's that they can't seem to focus on much else.

ABFshuttleNut,
Welcome to Truckingboards and great post. I can't believe how many guys are so wrapped up in what if's that they can't seem to focus on much else.
After re-reading this post I should add that I wasn't referring to ABF men in particular.....just some worrying types in general. Trust me, Yellow has many who worry about what Yellow might do 4 years from now and so on. No offense intended.

Worse comes to worse, we should all be OK until they either put two steering wheels in the cab, or remove the driver entirely!

10-4?

I have a few friends that work for UPS Freight and they have heard that they show some interest in ABF . Now it remains to be seen . It would not surprise me .

What you didn't say is what your doing for it?

Are you in the city working 40 or less?
Are you on the road and if so how long of a run, are you home daily, how many hrs a week are you logging?

Make no mistake, unless your an idiot everyone at all of these co's knows what the other makes and who pays more. But as far as pay goes we are not that far apart, now start talking benefits and yes I'm jealous, I would love to have a pension that will pay 2-3k a month out, it would be great to have co paid health.
But, and there is a but, I don't want to go to the bottom again, I don't want to get laid off every year. I prefer to be 14 miles from the yard instead of 40 and wonder if my vehicle is going to be there when I return and if so if it will be broke into or have to drive a beater so I don't worry about it, kinda defeats the purpose of making more.

I am where I am by choice, we all choose wether to stay or go. Or wether to organize or not. These are decisions made based on many things.

I know I make what I do because the Union keeps the pressure on, I don't want the Union to go down as Puff or others here have said, they will say that the pay scale is driven by driver shortages but if that were true why is it that the Union carriers are always the highest pay?

I have seen the reference by some that if you work at a Non and admit that the Union is what drives the pay then you are a free rider, in reality that is false, I end up paying much more than dues in added costs of healthcare so it is no free ride. Yes I know that they were referring to the fact they stand the line each contract time and take the risk to secure a contract that the rest just try and imitate closely, not exactly just close enough.
But, there is no support of a Union at FXF, if you start pushing for it you might just as well go to Yellow or USF ABF besause you will be out the door soon enough, you know it, I know it, we all know it. Even with a Union if you step on the wrong toes and they want you gone bad enough they will get you, eventually.

Sorry for the long rant but it kinda chaps my butt when we get into the pissing contest and someone talks down to someone else. We are all doing the same job and probably for the same reason, taking care of our families while weighing what works best for us.

Take care
FM

Oh come on we haven't had a break in since here in St Louis since i have been here. I am not saying it isn't possible but it can happen anywhere my truck got broke in to at Yellow. My friend at Roadway had his car broke into and that is a good area i thought. We have a gated lot and a guard some of the time.

I wouldn't leave the road at FEDX to go to the bottom of the board over here. But if I were looking for a job this would be the first place that i would apply. Nothing against FEDEX but you have to put in your time to get to the road.
As far as layoffs that isn't really a problem over here we have 4 laid off on the road and i hear they are working in the city till they come back next month. Line haul boss said he would start hiring again in march. I was hired over here 2-16-06 i have 9 guys under me and they work the S#@T out of us. More work than you want really!

Well as far as firing one of us over here it is very hard unless you are on drugs or drunk or stealing and then only maybe. I know several guys over here the boss HATES and he cant do a thing because he does nothing wrong to be fired.

I talk to you guys on the radio I have NO problem with you guys ,like you say we are all just trying to feed our family's. Would i like to see you guys organized yea but you all have to want it no one can do it for you and if you don't see a reason to be union OK. I never thought the way to organize you guys was to be mean to you or be hateful to you why would you want to join someone who hates you? I say build bridges and be friends what will happen will happen. You get more flies with sugar than with vinegar.

Just my opinion sorry if i was windy.

:soapbox:

85657.88 last year, not too shabby for a lowly FXF driver :funky: :hide:
That was on a 488 mile turn, I know you make more but I don't get why it would shut em up??

FM:smilie_132:

Way to go good money!!
I am a road driver.
I made 88,000 over at dugan my first year.
I worked like a dog!
I am at 80% over here on the road at ABF. I hit 51,000 in 10 months (hire 2-16-06) at 75% it sucks takeing a huge pay cut like that when yellow shut Dugan down but i will get back up there this year God willing and the creek dont rise. I am not braging just giving info.

Hello 12pack,

Sorry for the late response, to many posts to keep up with on the boards.

The only reason I posted my pay was in reply to cashcow's post about pulling out his pay stub, wouldn't impress me.

If you haven't had any vehicles broken into or flat out stolen you must be living a charmed life, when we were on Hall St we had 1 or 2 stolen a month.

In reference to firings I speak from firsthand knowledge, I was a dues paying member of local 600 for 10 years, I personally saw drivers fired that should have never been let go and others kept that never should have been hired in the 1st place.

They may have to dot more i's and cross a few more t's but everyone does something wrong and eventually if they want you you will be gone.As the old saying goes no ones perfect.

I too have no problem with teamster drivers in general, just the ones that want to degrade others. I had a BA at 610 that was really good and a good guy to boot, he would agree with you about how to talk to non drivers, as you say why would anyone want to sign up with someone that just called them names.

For the record, I'm not against unions, it just would not go at FXF, at least not anywhere I've traveled in the system.

Sorry for this union-non posting in the ABF forum, just wanted to clear that up.

FM

Maybe Dirtball has got that old folk sickness.
I know now that I'm over 60 I get simptoms of it every so offten.
I'm sure you've all heard of it.
Now let me see what was I talking about?

Oh yeah now I remember,this is a memory thing called (Sometimers)
Some times we older folks remember,some times we don't!

I was told (by a UPS Rep.) that UPS is looking at buying 2 (TWO) transportation companies. Now. That being said does anyone know of a TM goint to Saia. His name is Bennie T. Don't know where he is from but is supposedly going to Greenville NC

So far nothing happening yet . UPS Freight has some growing problems . Too much freight and not enough tractors to get it down the road . Also a 78 percent on time service will never cut it in the market . So Brown has some work to do .

Ups would have to buy ABF,ESTES, and OLD DOMINION in order to be larger then fedex freight now is. The DHL rumor is nothing more then that if dhl is going to buy any freight company it will not be a teamster company. Dhl hopes to make a profit off their american package market within the next 3 years until then I dont see them making too many more bold moves.

GIVE ME A BREAK!!!!:biglaugh:

ABF is here to stay!! Although not as huge as some of it's competitors, ABF remains a major player and provides specialized services in areas that no other LTL carriers provide. With that said, ABF will remain a competitor for many years to come. UPSF buying some of the smaller LTL carriers to expand their service areas, most definitely!! Estes, Old D etc..
UPSF will be a major player in years to come as I am sure they already have their blueprint for their future.
ABF EXPECT MORE!!!

I would like to see UPS buy ABF and use ABF as a blue print on how to run a company and treat it's employees.:1036316054:

So far nothing happening yet . UPS Freight has some growing problems . Too much freight and not enough tractors to get it down the road . Also a 78 percent on time service will never cut it in the market . So Brown has some work to do .

78% on time I got a bridge to sell anyone that believes that.:biglaugh: