R&L | watch out drivers

tagalong37

TB Lurker
Credits
saftey department is call drivers on their cell phone and watching drive on the computer and if you pick up the call while moving in the truck they got you . they got 3 driver in youngtown ohio

What number are they using?The 800 or an ohio number?Gotta love it,dispatch can bug you on the cell but dont use it.Boy are they unreal.

[quote author=bullwagon link=topic=80326.msg831406#msg831406 date=1274365682]
we can use a hands free, so just say it is hands free
[/quote]Not true,company policy is no cell phone use period.Of course they don't say anything about dispatch calling you.

well i guess i will have to get some clarification, i was told by our safety person that we could use a hands free as she does, i will have to ask again so i can cover myself, or get that in writing which will never happen

I understand,I too cant be sure as none of us can.I was told it was no use period.You know as well as I do that these people change their minds more than their underwear.

well way i see it anytime u answer ur phone ur taking a chance remember the fax mach shows trucks moving when ur setting still or truck in yard and show truck 60 miles away doing 60 mph when ur looking at it. what a joke these games are getting so old :rant:

[quote author=TruckDiver link=topic=80326.msg831395#msg831395 date=1274359460]
How are they getting your cell number?
[/quote] If you have called breakdown or WIL for anything they have it! Caller ID gotta love it.

[quote author=rubber duck link=topic=80326.msg831826#msg831826 date=1274493024]
[/quote] If you have called breakdown or WIL for anything they have it! Caller ID gotta love it.
[/quote]Just don't answer when and if they call...When collections has called me back with an authorization number, the number that shows up is I believe 934-000-0000....Just don't answer...

If they are going to this length to get rid of drivers, then there are real problems there...

If it is actually the case that they are getting rid of drivers for answering there phone, then I'm gonna get a new number, and dispatch ain't gonna get it, because they call me all the time, and Wilmington ain't gonna get it...

[quote author=rubber duck link=topic=80326.msg831826#msg831826 date=1274493024]
[/quote]

Nope, I gots that disabled, when I call, I show up as "private caller".

It's pretty easy to do, just got to the settings on your phone, it's there somewhere.
On mine ( Samsung Rugby) its "settings" then "calls", then "general" and then disable "show my number".

Learned that lesson years ago when dispatch was giving me so much assistance in using up all my minutes

Any call from WIL comes up (937) 000-0000.....This sounds more like another rumor than reality. What would corporate say? "I called the driver's personal cell phone (that we don't reimburse him for) and he answered it, so we terminated him" That makes about as much sense as dancing in a minefield. If anyone tries to discipline you for answering your phone, all you have to do is produce your call log with the 700 entries where they were hunting you down to make a "hot" pickup. Do yourselves a favor and buy a bluetooth headset. Unless the policy has been recently changed, drivers were instructed to terminate the call, pull to the side of the road when safe to do so, and then return the call.
Now, if you are cruising down the highway holding your phone to your ear and are observed doing so, that is a whole other matter.

I checked the policy in the online hand book and it is under #707 Personal Communication Devices. You can't copy and paste from that site, but essentially it says, "no cell phone use while driving a vehicle". Go to www.gorlc.com, click on the employee tab, sign in, and then go to online employee handbook on the left side column. Scroll to the very bottom policy and you can see it for yourself.

Yup,as I said up higher in the thread.Thats where I read it too.It is funny that they dont take dispatch calling you into the equation.I asked my dispatcher about it and he said just pull over like thats so easy.I told him I had a better idea,I just wont ever answer it for company business.

Came right out and asked my TM and he said as long as your using a headset I wouldn't have to worry about that from him anyway,but he doesn't know anything about the rumor.

Notice posted in WIL drivers room from the TM. They caught two drivers using cell phones in the last week. Does not say what they did to them. States that no personal communication or entertainment device may be used while driving. He says if the call is from R&L, let it go to voice mail. Let's see how that goes over when pick-ups start getting missed. It says that C.B.'s and company radios are O.K.. I guess a hands free headset is a distraction but playing with a C.B. is not. You have been warned.

[quote author=wideglide link=topic=80326.msg831811#msg831811 date=1274488068]
well way i see it anytime u answer ur phone ur taking a chance remember the fax mach shows trucks moving when ur setting still or truck in yard and show truck 60 miles away doing 60 mph when ur looking at it. what a joke these games are getting so old :rant:
[/quote]It is funny that your truck is sitting in the midwest and the computor shows it being in up state New York.

The "phoney" cell call to see if a driver picks up is real. ATL pulled that trick on several drivers last week resulting in some drivers getting a write up. They are not using any number we may be familiar with. The driver that posted that the 937-000-0000 number would appear on your phone is also correct so that is why they are using a valid number that we aren't used to seeing. Also, the resident safety buttheads are visiting the various terminals in their area of responsibility and messing with the units to assure their own very weak self images by doing some of the following: putting in a phoney oil dipstick which is merely a cut off dipstick leaving only the top part (did you check your oil level?), removing something from the unit's packet such as the cab card, IFTA card, insurance card, etc. If one doesn't check the packet before leaving--write up! Also, beware of red tags applied to various difficult to see areas on your power unit. If you don't bring that to management's or maintenance's attention before departing the yard--write up!
On another subject, the company had an advertisement in the Wilmington Journal over the weekend looking for team and line haul drivers. One of the benefits they boasted about was participation in the company 401k program!! New hires get into the 401 but the rest of us are shut out? What's up with that?

All full time employees can participate in the 401K program after completing one year of service. Company matching has been suspended, but the employee may still have pre-tax dollars directed to their accounts.

[quote author=oneeightyfive link=topic=80326.msg836353#msg836353 date=1276175680]
All full time employees can participate in the 401K program after completing one year of service. Company matching has been suspended, but the employee may still have pre-tax dollars directed to their accounts.
[/quote]True but thats as good as opening a window and throwing the cash out these days.