Watch your speed in Virginia...

Tacomapup

TB Lurker
Credits
A few weeks ago as I was driving through Virginia, I got caught speeding, going 88 mph in a 70 mph zone on I 81 in my car. I signed the ticket and continued on home. About a week later, I started receiving several letters from law firms in VA, offering to represent me in my 'reckless driving' charge. To make a long story short, here are the nuts and bolts about the speeding laws in Virginia:
1. A 'reckless driving' charge is a Class I misdemeanor (felony charge), punishable up to one year in jail and a $2500 fine. (don't know if anyone actually ever got the max sentence)
2. Going 15 mph over the speed limit carries the same consequences as a DUI.
3. Going 20 mph over the speed limit can result in automatic arrest and jail time.
4. Legal representation is a 'must' because of the felony charge and if found guilty of said charge, it results in a criminal record for life.
5. The Judge can take the police officer written statement as evidence 'of proof' and if the cop has a good reason to not show up in court for the hearing (in many cases a jury trial), the hearing or trial can still proceed. This is very important to note because in the American Justice system we have something called 'due process', which gives every defendant the right to cross examine the accuser to aid in his/ her own defense. How Virginia gets away with this, I don't know but plan on researching it.
6. Unlike other States, there are many law firms in VA who thrive financially by ONLY defending people with reckless driving charges. (think about that one for a moment)
There's more but I think I covered the most important points...

Here is a list of what I need to do between now and my court date in May.
a. Already hired a law firm ($1500)
b. Need to get my speedometer calibrated which hopefully turns out to be in my favor. My lawyer only recommends one place for me to get this done, which is close to three hours driving time from my home, one way. (around $75 for test)
c. To appear remorseful in court, I need to attend a 'safe driving' class which I have to attended in person, and takes about 8 hours. ($85)
d. I must appear in court, or my chances of saving my CDL drop drastically.
e. I have to get a copy/ certification of my past driving record and get it to my attorney.
f. There will be court costs of around $100.
g. The average fine for my type of charge is around $200, but could be more.
h. I'm looking at 4 points against my license and a hike in my insurance.

I have heard that there are other States that have enacted similar strict laws for speeding but I don't know which ones.

In ending, I just want to warn all of you amazing drivers to WATCH YOUR SPEED in Virginia.

Wish me luck!!

GREETINGS Tacomapup,

WOW, 88 in a 70.
Yes, I would hope a calibration test would lean your way.

Class 1 misdemeanor is the same as a D. U. I.?? Weird, because they're unrelated.
All states have their driving charge peculiarities.

WHEN I'm in Va, I usually do not get over 70 either in a 4 wheeler or 18.

I hope for you some bits are reduced and you're not to be made a example of.

Thanx 4 the warning.
CHEERS!?!

Last edited:
VA has a long history of not liking out of staters. When I ran the road I had a standard practice of circumventing the scales any time I could, whether I was legal or not. Good luck getting that resolved, what a mess.

GREETINGS Tacomapup,

WOW, 88 in a 70.
Yes, I would hope a calibration test would lean your way.

Class 1 misdemeanor is the same as a D. U. I.?? Weird, because they're unrelated.
All states have their driving charge peculiarities.

WHEN I'm in Va, I usually do not get over 70 either in a 4 wheeler or 18.

I hope for you some bits are reduced and you're not to be made a example of.

Thanx 4 the warning.
CHEERS!?!

My brain knows that I'm not on the Autobahn and as soon as I can convince my damn German lead-foot, I'll be okay. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

VA has a long history of not liking out of staters. When I ran the road I had a standard practice of circumventing the scales any time I could, whether I was legal or not. Good luck getting that resolved, what a mess.

Are you suggesting that you didn't drive legal 100% of the time all throughout your distinguished driving career? Who would've thought... :usa2: lol.
Wish I had known about these crazy laws sooner. For VA police to primarily focus on out of staters... isn't that a type of profiling? I think that many states do that to an extent but VA seems to be over the top. Just a thought... Thanks for your well wishes. I appreciate it!!

Are you suggesting that you didn't drive legal 100% of the time all throughout your distinguished driving career? Who would've thought... :usa2: lol.
Wish I had known about these crazy laws sooner. For VA police to primarily focus on out of staters... isn't that a type of profiling? I think that many states do that to an extent but VA seems to be over the top. Just a thought... Thanks for your well wishes. I appreciate it!!
cops here profile all day long, pulling over black and hispanic drivers.

i see no problem with that.

Kind of hard to say you were profiled at 88

Kind of hard to say you were profiled at 88

Oh no, I'm certainly not suggesting that I was being profiled. I was speaking more in general terms and in that Virginia not only has particularly strict speeding laws, but that there are scores of law firms that stay busy by almost exclusively representing out of state drivers who have been charged with reckless driving. I take full responsibility for my actions and I was speeding. Just hope that my stupidity isn't going to cost me my CDL.

In VA the out of state trucker is guilty of something and we're easy picking. Can't come back and fight anything so we pony up an easy $100 to their cause.

In VA the out of state trucker is guilty of something and we're easy picking. Can't come back and fight anything so we pony up an easy $100 to their cause.

So true!! I'm trying to spread the word to warn other truckers about VA.

North Cacalacky just started a recent problem: Go 1 over, get pulled over as well the wonderful "No Parking On Ramps, Medians and Shoulders".
I've no stats to report.

Tacomapup=I take full responsibility for my actions and I was speeding. Just hope that my stupidity isn't going to cost me my CDL.
Probably not your CDL-A yet it appears it may be expensive to get final judgement or plea bargain or lesser charge/convictions as well the wonderful sightseeing travelling back and forth to the kangaroo court.

I hear you... Looks like that by the time everything is said and done, my bank account will be around $2000 lighter. As long as I get to keep my CDL, I'm okay. My time in court ought to be interesting...

$2000 really stings, good luck on getting it lightened and keeping your CDL.

Yeah, really is a lot of money but this may be what it took for me to smarten up and slow down more. This got my attention, that's for sure. Thanks for the well wishes and I hope that you are having a pleasant evening.

I hear you... Looks like that by the time everything is said and done, my bank account will be around $2000 lighter. As long as I get to keep my CDL, I'm okay. My time in court ought to be interesting...
Diana,
Since it has not been put in print here as yet, I hate to say that your License, as far as NC is concerned, could be as well suspended considering the severity that Virginia considers such charge.

Regarding NCDMV:
Reference 1
Reference 2

The large companies as well some or most smaller carriers, per their Qualifications/Requirements, may not talk to you because of any license suspension within a specified or any time frame.

Hopefully you'll not have a suspended license or any loss of driving privilege.

Please keep us apprised.
G'Day!

Last edited:
Just had my speedometer checked and calibrated. It showed that my speed was 9 miles greater than what my speedometer indicated. I understand that it was my responsibility to make sure that everything in my car was in good working order, but I honestly never even thought about having my speedometer checked. We'll see if that makes a difference and I will definitely post any progress in this matter. Thanks for the references on the possible loss of license in NC. Have a great day and be safe!!

GREETINGS Tacomapup,

There may be a alternative plea such as *Improper Equipment*.
I was given such in '08 for the "charge" of speeding in High Point.

*I was NOT told to have the speedometer calibrated*.

CHEERS Dear!!

Never thought of that and will definitely pass this on to my attorney. If nothing else, the calibration test/ certification shows that my speedometer indicated a speed of 79 in a 70 zone, which should bring it down to a speeding ticket. But great idea Cerberus and thank you for sharing that with me.

A few decades ago in Caliscrewy, cops would sometimes write tickets for the speeds THEY USED to catch up to folks they claimed were speeding.
That might be something Virginia cops are not beyond doing, but I'm just speculating.