R&L | watching you guys too now

The fact of the matter is that regardless who videotaped our driver, he was clearly following too close for the speed he was travelling. The prescribed "safe" following distance (allowing sufficient time to stop for any eventuality that may occur in front of you) is one second for each ten feet of the vehicle length you are driving up to 40 mph, and then adding one additional second for speeds over 40. Assuming that the set was 65 feet in overall length, the driver should actually have been following by 7.5 seconds.......not less than one!
If math isn't your strong point, do this instead........Imagine that the passengers of the vehicle you are following are the people you love most....your parents, spouse, children, siblings etc. With that in mind, could you stop in time and keep the ones you love most out of harm's way no matter what happened in front of you?
I am not naive in thinking that a 7.5 second following distance is realistic in congested traffic conditions, but I do know that I would not want that driver following me or mine.

The fact of the matter is that regardless who videotaped our driver, he was clearly following too close for the speed he was travelling. The prescribed "safe" following distance (allowing sufficient time to stop for any eventuality that may occur in front of you) is one second for each ten feet of the vehicle length you are driving up to 40 mph, and then adding one additional second for speeds over 40. Assuming that the set was 65 feet in overall length, the driver should actually have been following by 7.5 seconds.......not less than one!
If math isn't your strong point, do this instead........Imagine that the passengers of the vehicle you are following are the people you love most....your parents, spouse, children, siblings etc. With that in mind, could you stop in time and keep the ones you love most out of harm's way no matter what happened in front of you?
I am not naive in thinking that a 7.5 second following distance is realistic in congested traffic conditions, but I do know that I would not want that driver following me or mine.

i respect your opinion on what you said, but the place this guy is coming from is biased and not totally accurate. everything you said is correct 100% by the way the book says it should be. but much like what some medical books say your weight should be in comparison to your height, it isnt always accurate in most situations. again, im not ripping anything you said, or saying you are wrong in any way. i just think this guy was filming these guys from a perspective that didnt accurately show what the situation really was.
based on what i saw, i wouldnt have ANY problem with either of these two guys riding behind me and my family, given what the traffic conditions were. that is just the way that kind of traffic flows. if they were following anywhere near the 6-7 second rule, they would have to be up and down with speeds to the point of where they would be starting to cause more probs with the flow of traffic.

(Points to Jules in the thread above)
This should be how the forum works, and Kudos to Jules for stating his opinion, disagreeing with mine, and not letting it become a personal grudge or bashing of any sort. If everyone read our banter, observed our behavior, and learned from it, then this board would become a valuable tool to express our opinions to those whom we want to hear it most!
As for the textbook however, (snickers) I threw that out about 20 years ago when I had over 12 years experience under my belt.

(Points to Jules in the thread above)
This should be how the forum works, and Kudos to Jules for stating his opinion, disagreeing with mine, and not letting it become a personal grudge or bashing of any sort. If everyone read our banter, observed our behavior, and learned from it, then this board would become a valuable tool to express our opinions to those whom we want to hear it most!
As for the textbook however, (snickers) I threw that out about 20 years ago when I had over 12 years experience under my belt.

good points sir

two triples sets were filmed near Cleveland OH on tuesday by a in truck camera. the tape and email was sent to wilmington safety dept. watch your speed and distance from the vehicle in front of you. not sure who had the dash cam

two triples sets were filmed near Cleveland OH on tuesday by a in truck camera. the tape and email was sent to wilmington safety dept. watch your speed and distance from the vehicle in front of you. not sure who had the dash cam
Could have been R+L? They are watching so be extra careful out there!

I thought some States had a law against Video equip. etc.where the driver has access to it.Even in a four wheeler.