ODFL | Weather the Storm or Jump Ship?

SlowIsSmooth

TB Lurker
Credits
I've been with the company 10 months now. Some weeks I get 4 runs in, others I get 3 runs, rarely get a full week worth of work in. I run wild board linehaul in Southern California. Anyone that's been with the company for a while able to speak some words of wisdom to me.

Having an assigned run one day is so appealing to me. I like driving nights, drop and hook work, longer one trip and done. In time this would be my perfect job I could see my self retiring here.

Yet I worry about being laid off or financially ruining my self hoping things get better.

Well welcome Slow , I wish you well and I'm sure there will be some OD hands to maybe advise you friend . City work will beat the hell out of you and it's quite thankless on your body in the end .

Good luck , God Bless
Smokestack

Personally, I’d say batten down the hatches and weather this storm. Chances are there will be a shift in the political landscape in November. Generally, election years are slow, last couple of mid-terms have acted like a presidential election too. Attribute that to the divisive politics that have been here since the mid 2000’s.

We are in a recession right now, and it was fabricated by politicians. Everyone is still out and moving so it isn’t looking like it will be as bad as ‘08 or ‘09 and the “jobless recovery” years yet. Plus inflation is ticking off the middle class pretty good, so people start voting with their wallets again.

I've been with the company 10 months now. Some weeks I get 4 runs in, others I get 3 runs, rarely get a full week worth of work in. I run wild board linehaul in Southern California. Anyone that's been with the company for a while able to speak some words of wisdom to me.

Having an assigned run one day is so appealing to me. I like driving nights, drop and hook work, longer one trip and done. In time this would be my perfect job I could see my self retiring here.

Yet I worry about being laid off or financially ruining my self hoping things get better.
Hello I’m not telling you what to do but
I think ups Ontario is hiring

I’m P&D in the mid-Atlantic region. I’ve worked at 2 locations. Talked to one of our line drivers this morning. He said him and another guy are getting runs cut 2-3 days/week. My experience with OD is that OD will work you for everything you’re worth. You’re experience may be good or bad at your terminal, but OD is not a family. They will lay you off if they feel it’s necessary to protect stock price. (I was laid off during Covid). Then brought back as a new employee, and never told that this would happen.

I believe they have the workforce right where they want it. They can flex it to meet the freight demand on a day to day basis. Meaning, you will work 13 hours 1 day if necessary, the next day you will sit home if not needed. The CEO of the company has made mention of this flexibility in the past in order to best serve the needs of our customers.

For me, I’m done with freight. Already put in my 2 weeks notice. Leaving for a local govt job. Sick and tired of smashed pallets, broken trucks, waking up everyday with a backache.
Good luck to you whatever you choose. LTL is a difficult job and I have much respect for the drivers. My best to all.

Tonnage during the month was down 0.9% y/y following a 1.4% decline in July. Lower shipment counts were only partially offset by higher weight per shipment.

The August tonnage dip was worse than expected as some analysts were calling for a slight gain to as much as a mid-single-digit increase during the month. Part of the positive expectation was due to a perceived easier comp to 2021. Old Dominion’s tonnage was up just 10.9% y/y in August 2021, which was a slowdown from increases of 30% to high-teen percentages recorded from April to July 2021.

They will lay you off if they feel it’s necessary to protect stock price. (I was laid off during Covid). Then brought back as a new employee, and never told that this would happen.
What happened to the time you had already worked before getting laid off? Was all the time that counts towards earning vacation time taken away? As an example, if someone had worked let’s say two full years and was eligible for two weeks vacation that he/she used and was then laid off for a year or so, when they were brought back from layoff, do they lose that earned time before the lay off to count towards the next progression (two weeks eligibility to three weeks eligibility)?
In other words, when coming back from lay off as a new employee, does the vacation progression schedule start over as if you had never worked at the company?
If so, that sucks big time!!!

What happened to the time you had already worked before getting laid off? Was all the time that counts towards earning vacation time taken away? As an example, if someone had worked let’s say two full years and was eligible for two weeks vacation that he/she used and was then laid off for a year or so, when they were brought back from layoff, do they lose that earned time before the lay off to count towards the next progression (two weeks eligibility to three weeks eligibility)?
In other words, when coming back from lay off as a new employee, does the vacation progression schedule start over as if you had never worked at the company?
If so, that sucks big time!!!
They put me back at the same pay rate. That’s the only thing that stayed the same. Everything else was wiped out. Vacation started at 0 hrs. I had to reapply like a new employee, that took 2 months, and 2 drug tests bcuz they dragged their feet so bad. When I was finally re-hired, they put me on probation for 3 months. Then I didn’t get the 401k discretionary match in the spring bcuz since I started over, I hadn’t been there 1 year. This happened to several of us at my terminal.
Do I feel cheated and disrespected?
damn right

They put me back at the same pay rate. That’s the only thing that stayed the same. Everything else was wiped out. Vacation started at 0 hrs. I had to reapply like a new employee, that took 2 months, and 2 drug tests bcuz they dragged their feet so bad. When I was finally re-hired, they put me on probation for 3 months. Then I didn’t get the 401k discretionary match in the spring bcuz since I started over, I hadn’t been there 1 year. This happened to several of us at my terminal.
damn right
I agree. You should feel cheated and disrespected about it. That is just wrong!!!

You’ve been here 10 months, you leave and go elsewhere you’re bottom man. This economic situation is going to affect not only LTL but everyone. My advice is to stay and weather it out. Just keep quiet, try to volunteer for any extra run. Stay under the radar.
Another thought, do away with excess debt. I’ve canceled some of my luxuries, no car payments, still saving money. But I say weather it out. Good luck. I worked in Arizona and now north of you.

damn right
That’s happened here also. People were what do they call it, it’s not a layoff at OD but something else. But people were brought back as new. I don’t believe that happened at my terminal though but in our region.

damn right
Don't worry about a union , nowadays a union layoff usually means it's over , forever !

I agree. You should feel cheated and disrespected about it. That is just wrong!!!
Makes me sad for all those they did that to. Same thing with the guys that had years in local cartage, crossed over to the road and then got furloughed past the point of getting their jobs back, meanwhile guys with less company time on the road board carried on. All these carriers have their skeletons in the closet, they all back bite in their own unique way.

I’d be running my own truck again by the next week. I’m not wanting to quit anytime soon, but I will definitely not be re-hired at a company I already work at. I found out about their “layoff“ policy after I accepted the job. Had they said that is what they do I would’ve definitely given a couple of the other companies a harder look.