XPO | Wednesday snow storm

Goslo

TB Regular
Credits
Here comes a great opportunity to see how Conway planners handle a potentially bad situation.
Travel volumes are projected to be the highest since 2007. So any significant snowfall will turn the interstates into a parking lot.
I see the potential of 10-20-30> mile back-ups.
So is Conway gonna send their drivers out into that situation?
If they can't make it back will there be hotel rooms available for them to get the required 10 hour rest?
I think it is entirely within the realm of possibility that many DSRs will be hold-up..., somewhere on Thanksgiving day unable to return home until sometime Friday.
I don't wanna be telling anyone how to do their job but I hope this is something already being discussing in upper management.

In recent past, they have been pretty good about not sending us out into a bad weather situation. We'll see if it continues.

I THINK they'll be cautious because it's the RIGHT THING TO DO... "current labor climate" has nothing to do with it...

I THINK they'll be cautious because it's the RIGHT THING TO DO... "current labor climate" has nothing to do with it...

Didn't seem to matter to them down south a couple years ago, sent our drivers into the teeth of a snowstorm only to turn them around in Chattanooga. Not by central's decision, our drivers pushed the issue.

You don't think they're going out of their way to appease the drivers these days? The corporation has failed a multitude of times in doing the right thing.
The incentive to have happier drivers is obvious – there is imminent threat of a union. But doing the right thing just for the sake of doing the right thing doesn't seem plausible to me. What's the incentive?
I've been wrong before. I have four ex-wives.

Must have a lot of drivers living above there means...

No the drivers were forced into the storm with threats of discipline and then the drivers forced the issue with central to go back home when they ran into the weather up around Chattanooga. It want snowing in Atlanta so central forced them out into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
No the drivers were forced into the storm with threats of discipline and then the drivers forced the issue with central to go back home when they ran into the weather up around Chattanooga. It want snowing in Atlanta so central forced them out into it.

Sorry I had it backwards...

They did the right thing shutting down for the storm tonight. Then they follow it up by running Friday during the day. Ask from the top and force from the bottom. Last time I checked Friday has been a scheduled holiday since January. I was honestly on the fence about the union. Way to go Con-way for making the decision much much easier.

They did the right thing shutting down for the storm tonight. Then they follow it up by running Friday during the day. Ask from the top and force from the bottom. Last time I checked Friday has been a scheduled holiday since January. I was honestly on the fence about the union. Way to go Con-way for making the decision much much easier.

Celebrate Thanksgiving on Wenesday and Thursday. The Pilgrims probably did it that way when the weather was bad.

I know, I know; probably the stupidest comment of the year..haha

Celebrate Thanksgiving on Wenesday and Thursday. The Pilgrims probably did it that way when the weather was bad.

I know, I know; probably the stupidest comment of the year..haha

So what about the guys who were going away for the long weekend? Had plans with family from out of town? Spent money on plane or train tickets for themselves and their families? Guess we just don't see the big picture... Or maybe it's just that the big picture doesn't include the little guy anywhere in it....

We're not running tonight, and since we don't have anything going on this weekend I'm running daytime lh Friday for regular $ plus holiday pay.

So what about the guys who were going away for the long weekend? Had plans with family from out of town? Spent money on plane or train tickets for themselves and their families? Guess we just don't see the big picture... Or maybe it's just that the big picture doesn't include the little guy anywhere in it....

Well, first off, I was making a joke. Second, just take off and do what you got to do. What are they gonna do? nothing. Just call Greg L. if there is a problem.. They are not in a position to do anything to you. They'll find plenty of people to run the freight this weekend for the extra $$. For now, we're in control.