Central Transport | Week #2 with Vitran.

boomerang

TB Lurker
Credits
The second week with Vitran has come to pass. So far, so good. We will feel more assured once we receive our first paycheck. I truly hope that Vitran's venture into the South will turn out to be lucrative for all involved. I promise each of you that I am dilligently working in that endeavor. I know that with the increased cost of fuel, accomplishing that mission will be even more difficult. Hopefully soon the crisis in the Middle East and North Africa will subside, and the cost of fuel will return to "normal". I hope that Vitran management has plans in place so that we can recoup this enormous increase in the cost of fuel. What do ya'll think about it?:confused

Fuel surcharge is about 12 1/2 % to most customers right now. That would recoup the loss, but most of the time I see the customers getting 64% discount on the freight, Haz-mat fee waived, liftgate fee waved, residential delivery waived, etc. So that kind of eats that fuel surcharge right up!

wal marts fuel surcharge maybe 15%, but the rest of the freight is now 30% fuel surcharge. its on the collect bols. plus vitran buys fuel a year in advance and locks in the price ,so it wont affect them until next year. the consignees are paying for the fuel in reality.

Want to conserve fuel??? Then why are we picking up freight out of Richmond, Va to put onto a trailer going to Western Maryland then back down to Virgina before it's shuttled to it's destination in Georgia? To me that's a huge waste of fuel and manpower. Do the math. From RIC to WMD 160 miles. WMD to ROA 220 miles. ROA to Augusta, GA. 360 miles.
Now, lets say we pick it up in RIC and ship it to say, something south of us rather than further north, like maybe Raleigh, NC, then shuttle it to Augusta, That would be RIC to Raleigh 168 miles. Raleigh to Augusta 295 miles.

plus vitran buys fuel a year in advance and locks in the price ,so it wont affect them until next year.

Dont think thats true, tanks ran out of fuel once and supplier wouldnt deliver unless the was a check waiting. Plus you cant tell me they are going to prepay for fuel from every fuel vendor for a year since every terminal probably uses a different vendor.

pjax pay checks were held back for two weeks while vitran was held back only one week. now when vitran bought pjax, former pjax employees are still held two weeks and original vitran employees are still one week. but were now quote unquote one company, yeah right. between cramming the linehaul trailers and jacking up fuel surcharges, there's no reason for them to mess around with our wages. but then again, they're crooks and get ready for the insertion.

wait until the honeymoon is over. now you are probably experiencing hostile vitran employees because your getting more hours due to getting entry level vitran pay. when vitran and pjax merged, the vitran drivers were irrate because everything leaned towards pjax side and they got the shaft. then over time they quit or somehow got fired until there's only a fraction left at our terminal. basically it's a place for a paycheck until something equivalent comes along. best of luck.

Dont think thats true, tanks ran out of fuel once and supplier wouldnt deliver unless the was a check waiting. Plus you cant tell me they are going to prepay for fuel from every fuel vendor for a year since every terminal probably uses a different vendor.
Vijax really means that Vitran locked in the fuel price for a year.

its true, just like locking in the price for heating oil in the summer for winter. jeff hommel told us this when he visited our barn a few years back. look at the fuel surcharges on the bols, the consignees are paying for the fuel. if they ran out of fuel, it happened at my barn once, t.m. said they had to get from another vendor they dont have an account with. vendor wanted money before delivery of fuel.