FedEx Freight | Weight question

One more thing worth noting: Some States allow for a higher (axle/tandem) limit on surface roads. South Carolina, for example allows 36k on tandems. Again, NOT on interstate highways.

"The gross weight imposed upon any highway or section of highway other than the interstate by two or more consecutive axles in tandem articulated from a common attachment to the vehicle and spaced not less than forty inches nor more than ninety-six inches apart shall not exceed thirty-six thousand pounds, and no one axle of any such group of two or more consecutive axles shall exceed the load permitted for a single axle."
http://www.scdps.gov/scstp/docs/size-weight-limits.pdf

So, check your State Law, and if you want to be legal, you may need to take the long way home. It's YOUR call, NOT dispatch.

One more thing worth noting: Some States allow for a higher (axle/tandem) limit on surface roads. South Carolina, for example allows 36k on tandems. Again, NOT on interstate highways.

"The gross weight imposed upon any highway or section of highway other than the interstate by two or more consecutive axles in tandem articulated from a common attachment to the vehicle and spaced not less than forty inches nor more than ninety-six inches apart shall not exceed thirty-six thousand pounds, and no one axle of any such group of two or more consecutive axles shall exceed the load permitted for a single axle."

So, check your State Law, and if you want to be legal, you may need to take the long way home. It's YOUR call, NOT dispatch.
I always took “the long way home” if there was ever a doubt, DOT usually didn’t monitor the backroads and the locals didn’t have a clue as to what to look for.

Side note: I was pulled one day by a local and he asked for my license and registration. I handed him my license and the permit book and he just stood there dumbfounded...after a couple of awkward mins he told me to be safe and have a good day.

Maybe they should teach management / dispatch as well as the dock workers this and why it only makes sense to drivers and cops and not them. Don't ever tell them a trailer is properly improperly loaded unless you want a food whse dbl stacked and spun so you CAN take it off with your plt jack.:nut kick:

I think this law may be referring to spread axles, like on flatbeds, and bull racks. Unless maybe FX is hauling lumber, and livestock now....at least big Dave would have the right hat for one of those type trailers....

Not long ago I was loaded to deliver a 24K load. Scaled at 28K on the drive. Whole first half was loaded with totes: Nothing on the back half.

Not long ago another LTL driver was telling me he got a overweight ticket near Baltimore on Rt1. Loaded with coil and was way overweight. Cop stopped him. He asked the cop how he knew he was overweight. Cop said, "Your mudflaps are dragging the ground." :)

Maybe they should teach management / dispatch as well as the dock workers this and why it only makes sense to drivers and cops and not them. Don't ever tell them a trailer is properly improperly loaded unless you want a food whse dbl stacked and spun so you CAN take it off with your plt jack.:nut kick:
I used to love food warehouses, I could milk one out for a good 5-6 hours...and the lunch they served in their cafeterias were excellent...it broke dispatch from sending me back!! :1036316054:

Not long ago I was loaded to deliver a 24K load. Scaled at 28K on the drive. Whole first half was loaded with totes: Nothing on the back half.

Not long ago another LTL driver was telling me he got a overweight ticket near Baltimore on Rt1. Loaded with coil and was way overweight. Cop stopped him. He asked the cop how he knew he was overweight. Cop said, "Your mudflaps are dragging the ground." :)
Out west, it would have been “Your mudflaps AND your tire chains are dragging on the ground.”

The 12,000 on the steer is a myth, it varies by state plus you would have to figure your bridge formula. An overloaded truck is on the driver once it hits the road.