ABF | What ABF and the Teamsters Don't Want You To Know

ABF381

TB Veteran
Super Moderator
Credits
I talk to many people here and in person and ABF and the Teamsters have not posted news of the 70/8 or 34 hour reset in many terminals. Nobody in my terminal knew until i started telling people. I got a phone call from a guy i know from a barn that is near me asking me about it because he didn't know, and I have gotten PMs on here from people who didn't know. All of this leads me to believe that it is intentionally being done because they want to run the clock out. It can be withdrawn by either party in 30 days so that is my theory why it is so quiet. I would love to hear feedback on this, and whether you are for it or against it, tell your brothers and sisters about this MOU...thank you

I AM AGAINST IT!!!
Over turning an MOU is usually next to impossible to do. Like you said, they over turned this one with very little fan fare. All of these younger Teamsters will regret this move when the freight slows down and the lay offs start. While you sit at home, your senior brothers will be running 70 hours a week along side the PT scum.

As a long time Shop Steward I always said you had to keep your eye on the company & the union also because either one or both can screw you behind your back. Sad to say but very true, I have fought with both. You folks need to get to the bottom of this MOU. If Abf stewards were not involved it's No Bueno.:1036316054:

I AM AGAINST IT!!!
Over turning an MOU is usually next to impossible to do. Like you said, they over turned this one with very little fan fare. All of these younger Teamsters will regret this move when the freight slows down and the lay offs start. While you sit at home, your senior brothers will be running 70 hours a week along side the PT scum.
that's why they have loved a hog board at ABF. The work slowdowns are self correcting, and the bottom of the board just starves sitting by the phone. No layoffs are necessary.

I talk to many people here and in person and ABF and the Teamsters have not posted news of the 70/8 or 34 hour reset in many terminals. Nobody in my terminal knew until i started telling people. I got a phone call from a guy i know from a barn that is near me asking me about it because he didn't know, and I have gotten PMs on here from people who didn't know. All of this leads me to believe that it is intentionally being done because they want to run the clock out. It can be withdrawn by either party in 30 days so that is my theory why it is so quiet. I would love to hear feedback on this, and whether you are for it or against it, tell your brothers and sisters about this MOU...thank you
At my terminal if you don’t want to run the 34 hour restart you have to fill out a recap you have to turn in. Makes it punishment if you don’t want to use the restart.

Recap is nothing.

Easy peasy. 8 sets of numbers in a document that is settled midnight every night.

Want me to have more hours Bossyman? Stop sending me to crappy customers who hang me out for hours or days waiting. You will get hours.

How? Easy. Hand me drop hook loads. None of that docking bullshit.

Or I might decide to run the clock out on the 60 or 70 hours in a few days. Whoops. It will be 2 days or so before we have hours next midnight to work again. Document everything in a larged lined book.

If Boss fires you for not having hours to work? Show everything to the state. Oh duty at this dock 14 hours today, 10 hours off rest then another.... etc. There is never any hours to meet the demands anymore. presto. State Unemployment for cause.

Show the next prospective employer everything when they ask why you were fired? They will know right away that you are on the ball. If they hire you great. If not? You dont want to work for them either.

I spent years with a dumptruck and airbrake trailer A job without a log anything. Show up before sunrise filling everything with fuel and go to work until you cannot see anymore. One of the best jobs in my lifetime. All the trucking without the bull.

Recap is nothing.

Easy peasy. 8 sets of numbers in a document that is settled midnight every night.

Want me to have more hours Bossyman? Stop sending me to crappy customers who hang me out for hours or days waiting. You will get hours.

How? Easy. Hand me drop hook loads. None of that docking ********.

Or I might decide to run the clock out on the 60 or 70 hours in a few days. Whoops. It will be 2 days or so before we have hours next midnight to work again. Document everything in a larged lined book.

If Boss fires you for not having hours to work? Show everything to the state. Oh duty at this dock 14 hours today, 10 hours off rest then another.... etc. There is never any hours to meet the demands anymore. presto. State Unemployment for cause.

Show the next prospective employer everything when they ask why you were fired? They will know right away that you are on the ball. If they hire you great. If not? You dont want to work for them either.

I spent years with a dumptruck and airbrake trailer A job without a log anything. Show up before sunrise filling everything with fuel and go to work until you cannot see anymore. One of the best jobs in my lifetime. All the trucking without the bull.
The recap is not nothing. You have to log out and waist more time doing their bull crap that could easily be done by putting the option on the ELD. They just keep adding crap for the drivers to do. Road drivers now have to arrive and depart themselves type all the crap into the computer and waste time. Drivers time. I’m getting pretty sick of this crap of only being one-sided. Ever noticed that it only goes to the companies benefit and not any of us?

The recap is not nothing. You have to log out and waist more time doing their bull crap that could easily be done by putting the option on the ELD. They just keep adding crap for the drivers to do. Road drivers now have to arrive and depart themselves type all the crap into the computer and waste time. Drivers time. I’m getting pretty sick of this crap of only being one-sided. Ever noticed that it only goes to the companies benefit and not any of us?
I'm not logging out that is on duty time per DOT rules do not log out and to those that say I'm violating rules falsifying by going on duty on minute to prevent a 34 hr reset is false I'm reviewing my logs in preparation for work the next day.

I'm not logging out that is on duty time per DOT rules do not log out and to those that say I'm violating rules falsifying by going on duty on minute to prevent a 34 hr reset is false I'm reviewing my logs in preparation for work the next day.
You’re not getting paid for it. That’s my whole point. We keep doing stuff that we’re not getting paid for. And you’re not being accurate with your time if you were still logged in

My whole point is they are making life miserable for drivers who do not do the 34 hour recap. They can easily put a toggle on the ELD to log your hours like we have been logging them. It’s bull crap and it’s a tactic that they do on purpose. There is no reason why the ELD cannot choose one or the other

I'm on the fence. I'm willing to try it but I'm not committing to anything. I agree with hangbelly, the employees most likely to be harmed are the least senior employees. And so I feel employees with 5 yrs or less seniority should be the ones to decide. And Sacks makes a great point, we are doing more work for free with these computers and the 34hr restart.

I spent a lifetime breaking my body for free. No pay. And what little I got went into burgers for tomorrows abuse.

Tell me again about the precious log hours when I was accustomed to working around 120 hours every 6th day. Sleep next week.

I'm on the fence. I'm willing to try it but I'm not committing to anything. I agree with hangbelly, the employees most likely to be harmed are the least senior employees. And so I feel employees with 5 yrs or less seniority should be the ones to decide. And Sacks makes a great point, we are doing more work for free with these computers and the 34hr restart.
I may be missing something here and please tell me if I am, but the ones I really see being affected by this are the city guys. They went from a 60hr week to a 70hr week. Linehaul was already on a 70 hr week. When I was extra board I could run 6 possibly 7 trips in a week then I may only be off 18-24 or 26 hours before I picked up more time the following midnight from the week before and be back at it again. With the re-start, depending on the trips, you will still only be able to run 6-7 before forcing a 34 hr re-start. Not to mention you could run 5 good trips at 12.5 hrs a day, force a 34, come back and run one more and take a 58. Remember, with the 34 there are no hrs to be picked up from the week before, they will only be subtracted.

Yes a net loss to the driver based on hours.

Long haul could not give a tinkers damn for a 34 because its faster than the 48 midnight to second midnight to get 70 back on track back in the paper days.

Once with Dowdy I was on a 7 day time off at home supposedly. That truck ran anyway. Put away 3100 miles that week. Logs? Hell straight across all off duty. How they reconciled the fuel bills and anything else the truck generated that week against a future DOT exam is unknown to me. But I ran. Since it was damn near 25 years ago and the company no longer exists in any form there is nothing to prosecute. Essentially ancient history.

DOT eventually questioned two oil change reciepts in the paper work tied to logs one inspection time 25000 miles in 32 days for a solo. I managed to wriggle out of that one. THAT oil change? Dunno. Dont remember. Im not a elephant Officer. He did not pursue it. (Whew...)

Any time I see a Rotella T container by the gallon, memories come back with striking clarity.

That was a lesson to dispose of anything older than 8 days in the briefcase back then. After 8th day I could not be bothered to have anything about it. Not for the DOT man out there. I would put everything into a priority box at TTT or in Fort Wayne 76 and mail the ::shit:: home. When I got home there would be a small pile of boxes full of damning papers.

Was I part of the problem? Yes and no. Yes as in there was no way to legally run against a ever more restrictive HOS situation vs the actual real world cold storage realities and excessive awake time. Office from home commute was two steps from sleeper to drivers seat and sometimes a 5 foot drop into a dock steps.

And no as in you did what you did or be fired and be replaced by any number of orientation wanna bes hungry to go now after three days of hurrahing in the trailer.

I may be missing something here and please tell me if I am, but the ones I really see being affected by this are the city guys. They went from a 60hr week to a 70hr week. Linehaul was already on a 70 hr week. When I was extra board I could run 6 possibly 7 trips in a week then I may only be off 18-24 or 26 hours before I picked up more time the following midnight from the week before and be back at it again. With the re-start, depending on the trips, you will still only be able to run 6-7 before forcing a 34 hr re-start. Not to mention you could run 5 good trips at 12.5 hrs a day, force a 34, come back and run one more and take a 58. Remember, with the 34 there are no hrs to be picked up from the week before, they will only be subtracted.
I'm unsure exactly how it will affect the city drivers. I have not held a city driver position in over 25 years, and then only for a few months at Wilson Freight line. And I'm not even sure how it will affect the bottom of the board road drivers. I believe when Freight slows down the least seniority drivers may miss a few call blocks, in both the city and road.

You are correct that it will not affect the road board as much as it will the city board. Especially at the end of the line terminals. As an example, let’s say you have an end of the line terminal with four city drivers. With the 34-hour restart being used, a city driver can now work seventy (70) hours in a five day period because his/her on duty time is a combination of driving and non-driving hours and can work up to 14-hours a day. The 34-hour restart would be used over the weekend and it is back to work on Monday with a fresh 70 to use. With this additional ten (10) hours available to the four drivers weekly, there is no need to hire additional full time city drivers. And even if one of them decided to use the 60-hour rule, what happens if he hits the 60th hour and calls the manager to send some one out to get him and the truck? My guess is the manager will most likely tell him to drive it on in since they are now eligible to work up to seventy (70) hours. And no one has even talked about the effect on the UE drivers. What’s to keep an away terminal from holding a driver for freight not yet arrived for an additional two (2) hours each day now that they are eligible for 70 hours as opposed to the 60 hour rule? This thing has “nightmare” written all over it.