ABF | What ABF and the Teamsters Don't Want You To Know

Sorry 1984Sideways, but I am going to have to use your part 2 method.
The Utility Employee language was changed in the 2013-18 contract to allow UE employees to perform “Utility related Dock work” at away terminals. Before then, they could only work Utility freight in a designated area on the dock and were not allowed to unload trailers at away terminals to get their Utility freight. Now that they have an additional ten hours a week, what’s to keep the employer from laying off dock workers at their home terminals and allow the Utility employees to unload trailers with multiple UE freight on it. People, we have got to get our heads out of our butts and get back to being Teamsters again. We should be thinking “what’s in it for us as a whole” instead of “what’s in it for me”. If we don’t, there may not be a Union one day to protect our jobs and our rights!!!

Could you please explain this in more detail?
on a seniority board, allowing senior men to use the shorter reset will take work opportunity away from jr men. I suffered under that for 8 mos when I first came here. I think a first in first out board is fairer to all, but it does necessitate a layoff when work slows down. ABF loves seniority boards, because they don't have to monitor work slowdowns. Your point about the 34 hr reset not requiring monitoring the previous weeks hrs is a valid one. That was a real PITA, but it did keep you home if you weren't picking up enough hrs, or worse, requiring a longer layover to gather hrs to come home. Been there done that. I see both sides of this one.... It will definitely simplify dispatch for the company. As they go to more turn runs, the senior men will be home and available to accept work more often. Getting them out of the domicile on roll on rest dispatches gave jr men the opportunity to work.

You are correct that it will not affect the road board as much as it will the city board. Especially at the end of the line terminals. As an example, let’s say you have an end of the line terminal with four city drivers. With the 34-hour restart being used, a city driver can now work seventy (70) hours in a five day period because his/her on duty time is a combination of driving and non-driving hours and can work up to 14-hours a day. The 34-hour restart would be used over the weekend and it is back to work on Monday with a fresh 70 to use. With this additional ten (10) hours available to the four drivers weekly, there is no need to hire additional full time city drivers. And even if one of them decided to use the 60-hour rule, what happens if he hits the 60th hour and calls the manager to send some one out to get him and the truck? My guess is the manager will most likely tell him to drive it on in since they are now eligible to work up to seventy (70) hours. And no one has even talked about the effect on the UE drivers. What’s to keep an away terminal from holding a driver for freight not yet arrived for an additional two (2) hours each day now that they are eligible for 70 hours as opposed to the 60 hour rule? This thing has “nightmare” written all over it.
Portland, Seattle, Tacoma and Spokane played that 13.75 hr layover game all the time. And it was a nightmare....

While everyone has valid points and no one really knows how this wil affect the road board yet, I still can’t see anyone running more trips than they’re already running. 70 hrs is 70 hrs. However, I do believe that the senior men will be able to run bigger trips after the reset, I don’t think they’ll be able to run more….

While everyone has valid points and no one really knows how this wil affect the road board yet, I still can’t see anyone running more trips than they’re already running. 70 hrs is 70 hrs. However, I do believe that the senior men will be able to run bigger trips after the reset, I don’t think they’ll be able to run more….
The main thing is for the drivers to stick together and keep an eye on things, Stewards should be holding meetings & getting the BAs involved explaining how this MOU is supposed to work. Not all Stewards are on top of things like SOR & if needed they should be nudged to get involved or quit being a Steward. Sometimes folks need a walkabout in the yard for things to be explained in a clear & understandable way. Stick together.:1036316054:

You will be able to run more miles on the extra board. I could run my hours out in 5 days. If you took the 34 hour restart you could take a long load and work 14 hours a day every day except the restart day. Without the restart you are stuck using the hours that drop off your log. So yes you can run more miles and hours.

You will be able to run more miles on the extra board. I could run my hours out in 5 days. If you took the 34 hour restart you could take a long load and work 14 hours a day every day except the restart day. Without the restart you are stuck using the hours that drop off your log. So yes you can run more miles and hours.
Yes, more miles and more hours, but not more trips.

Yes, more miles and more hours, but not more trips.
That’s not true. In eight days that’s one extra trip. It’s 70 hours in eight days, not seven you could get eight tours in the same eight day period. Possibly 9. Five days can you cover 70 hours, one day and 10 hours would be 10 hours into the 7th day. That gives you one day and 14 hours more that you couldn’t do before hand. That’s a lot

Last edited:
Ive learned to enjoy trips in which there isnt much to do. Hook, drive. Drop. Hook another. Go.

What I really hated was playing yard jockey with a Freightliner FLD120 full Condo Tractor in a brass foundry up in Buffalo shuffling trailers for Dowdy for three days. I think I was paid like 40 bucks a day. Thats round the clock.

I finally got my own load of brass coil down to Remington in Lonoke Arkansas after a three day trip. Something like 1300 miles maybe at 28 or whatever ****all cents. 6 days of all that comes out to bupkis. What a waste.

My favorite was Blood Plasma between FFE LA Cali to Avenel NJ and return every 6.5 days team something like 6240 miles round trip. Drop. Hook and maybe 30 minutes loading in LA.

Just a couple of hours for senior men to gather hours is enough for jr men to get out...
The extra board will only work weekends when the senior drivers are on 34 hr reset. Kinda sucks if you are a new hire....

I made a lot of money sitting at home filing run around claims on the PT!
You are the exception. If every driver filed on a run around, the time it would take for ABF to reverse their thinking can be counted with a egg timer. But, everybody has to get involved to force ABF to change their way of thinking. Just like all the rank & file of your barn showing up @ the monthly meetings telling their Union leaders what they want. They all show up, right? von.

Just a couple of hours for senior men to gather hours is enough for jr men to get out...
The extra board will only work weekends when the senior drivers are on 34 hr reset. Kinda sucks if you are a new hire....
That's the way it was in my days without the restart.
Senior men were out of hours on the weekends.
When we voted out the hog board this ended.
Ryder was the only union company in Charl that didn't run the hog board.