FedEx Freight | what are other ltl carriers rate of pay?

Wow Swampy you went back a ways on this one. Ok I ran some numbers and. think my point is still valid, there is no "apples to apples" comparison and I AM IN NO WAY saying who works harder I'm just comparing money and hours. I am having a little trouble finding the mileage pay for line haul so I used $0.59 per mile and $23.68 per hour, feel free to correct me on those numbers. My earlier post referenced a 648 mile road run, I'm not sure who originally posted that but I'll use it as that would (or should) be considered a "good" run pretty much anywhere in the system. Here we go, on that run 648 miles times $0.59 is $382.32, then as I remember how meets work (again feel free to correct me) you get a half hour to build your set in the morning, 15 minutes TO at the meet point (assuming this is a meet), a half hour to drop out at the end of the day and 15 minutes to fuel. That's an hour and a half at $23.68 an hour, which is $35.52 plus $383.32 for a grand total of $418.84. For a city driver to make that he would have to work 14.46 hours at $23.68 an hour with time and a half after 8. Now how many hours did the road driver work to complete that run? I would guess close to 13 as an average, maybe a little less some days and more others. So he works an hour and a half less than you would. But in my opinion there's more to it, number 1, I don't want to work 13 hours EVERY day, 2 your job is more flexible, you can say hey I have a doctors appointment next Tuesday and I need to go home early, the road driver has to try to switch runs or take the day off you don't. If something goes wrong on his run and he's 200 miles from home he's in a hotel, have you ever had to get a room in the city because you couldn't make it back? You have short and long days, his are all long. Again I'm not judging who works harder I'm just saying I don't think the compensation is that unbalanced when you factor in all the other stuff that goes with it, there's more to compensation than just money.
Dang JD! You are absolutely right... I would have bet that the city guy could not have made close to the same. The numbers show that he could get very close. I stand corrected. It would still take a couple more hours, but fair enough, for all the reasons you gave. :1036316054:

I'll also agree that I don't want those hours confined in the truck all day OR those hours humping freight...

Word has it that we'll be back on top in October. Right below ups. But talk is cheap show me the money !!
While I agree that the rumored increase will, in fact, bring most locations up to an admirable level, those of us currently at a serious deficit to the competition will continue operate at an noncompetitive level.

I need to verify the latest announcement, but Old Dominion (in my area) is said to be going up to $25.75 vs FedEx Freight's 23.68. If true (and my source is pretty reliable),there is no possible way for the annual increase to get us even close to that. Now, if our local pay scale (GPD) was based on accurate info, as far as market conditions in my area, then (and only then) could an annual increase put us in a competitive position.

Lets recap/update the market for those less fortunate, keeping in mind that Cnway, S/E, etc, are all due for further increases in the coming months:

Conway: $25.48
Old Dominion: $24.95 $25.75
CENTRAL TRANSPORT: $24.50
Southeastern: $24.48
Estes: $24.xx
FedEx Freight: $23.68

Note: We don't even need to mention Brown, anymore.

In this market fed ex is at 25.08 per hour and Sefl isn't even at 24. OD and Conway are both over 24 here and like you, I don't want to discuss upsf

While I agree that the rumored increase will, in fact, bring most locations up to an admirable level, those of us currently at a serious deficit to the competition will continue operate at an noncompetitive level.

I need to verify the latest announcement, but Old Dominion (in my area) is said to be going up to $25.75 vs FedEx Freight's 23.68. If true (and my source is pretty reliable),there is no possible way for the annual increase to get us even close to that. Now, if our local pay scale (GPD) was based on accurate info, as far as market conditions in my area, then (and only then) could an annual increase put us in a competitive position.

Lets recap/update the market for those less fortunate, keeping in mind that Cnway, S/E, etc, are all due for further increases in the coming months:

Conway: $25.48
Old Dominion: $24.95 $25.75
CENTRAL TRANSPORT: $24.50
Southeastern: $24.48
Estes: $24.xx
FedEx Freight: $23.68

Note: We don't even need to mention Brown, anymore.
In my area pay is the same as yours. Word has it that we'll be at $25.88 but like I said it's just talk. Won't believe it till I see it

In my area pay is the same as yours. Word has it that we'll be at $25.88 but like I said it's just talk. Won't believe it till I see it
Don't for get to subtract the higher cost on insurance premiums. It will more than wipe out the raise, between higher premiums and poorer coverage. We will get the short end of the stick like the last 6 years.

You fedexers pay only half as much as we do for health insurance, get a small pension, loads of discounts, and get OT. You are also well over $1 per hour more than Sefl here. Keep asking; maybe they will give you more to keep out ibt.

We got an email yesterday that insurance would not change this year...so there goes that argument...
Email from who? I got an email yesterday that said if I send 8000.00 dollars to this prince in Zimbabwe that he could get his fortune of of the country and would give me 2 million dollars for my trouble.

In this market fed ex is at 25.08 per hour and Sefl isn't even at 24. OD and Conway are both over 24 here and like you, I don't want to discuss upsf

The bottom pay scale would need a 3 dollar an hour raise to be second to UPSF there is no way we are getting a 3 dollar raise.

You fedexers pay only half as much as we do for health insurance, get a small pension, loads of discounts, and get OT. You are also well over $1 per hour more than Sefl here. Keep asking; maybe they will give you more to keep out ibt.

The big issue for some is the inconsistencies. Many Most seem to be competitive, there are at least 5 locations that are "off the charts" NOT competitive. If those 5/6 that were short changed had received the correct GPD adjustment, the upcoming annual raise could quite easily put FedEx in a very competitive position.

We can certainly hope :1036316054:

Even that optimistic prediction would place FXFE in the #2 spot for only a short time. CNWY will certainly bump their rate up in a couple of months. Also, it has been publicly stated that FXFE wants to be competitive in EVERY market. If true, they'll need to address the 5 known to be way behind. Four in SC and at least one in WV.

If we were comparable, even within 50 cents of most of the competition, I would not harp on this issue. But since we are not (locally), nor will we be after the raise, I will continue to point it out.

We got an email yesterday that insurance would not change this year...so there goes that argument...
So to be clear on this email rumor from corporate the amount taken out of our check won't increase or the high deductible won't go up?