What are your thoughts on raising the fuel tax to help fund infrastructure improvements

roadscholar88

TB Lurker
Credits
Yesterday President Trump announced that he would consider raising the fuel tax for the first time in nearly 25 years to fund infrastructure improvements. What are your thoughts on this?

I guess it's ok to sign executive orders for off shore drilling for oil at the same time raise the price of fuel.
Will we see our roads fixed?
I once thought toll roads had the same concept but I was proven wrong

I guess it's ok to sign executive orders for off shore drilling for oil at the same time raise the price of fuel.
Will we see our roads fixed?
I once thought toll roads had the same concept but I was proven wrong
i was listening to a NJ radio talk show, many, many years ago.

it was said that the ongoing road work, on the NJTP) guarantees tolls to stay forever.

same like the GWB bridge. those tolls are strictly for the bridge, not the roads leading up to it, or leaving it.

somehow, after expenses, and a net profit of over 100 million dollars, each year, that darn bridge ought to glisten in the dark, let alone the sunshine.

the inane fuel tax hikes, will not go for infrastructure repairs. instead, it'll get to bus transportation, bike paths and maybe hookers for the members of the board.

When they actually stop raiding Social Security or money supposedly set aside now for infrastructure, they may find there's already enough there to go around and no need for an increase in taxes.

truck ONLY tolls in my state, may be up and running by the end of this year....we have no money for road/bridge repairs.

yet, the fembot goobner, some how found 40 million dollars, she wants to spend on free college for everyone....???

seems to me, there always IS MONEY for everything.....

truck ONLY tolls in my state, may be up and running by the end of this year....we have no money for road/bridge repairs.

yet, the fembot goobner, some how found 40 million dollars, she wants to spend on free college for everyone....???

seems to me, there always IS MONEY for everything.....
There is always money for everything, but what the truckers need((

According to some people in South Africa, Russia, South America, Mexico, China, India and other countries, we have the best roads in the world.
Okay Hand, Quit yer bellyaching, get away from Cherry Master and get that freight delivered, chop, chop.

Search for a program called Dangerous Roads. You'll not find any listed in America.

In Scotland, a New York City sidewalk (the size: like in Times Square) would be a improvement over some of their Lorry used roads.
- - - -
Soon enough, with 45 at the helm, we'll not be concerned about infrastructure as much as with the inability to secure treatment from a healthcare provider because "You Do Not Have Healthcare Insurance, so go to the welfare hospital!"(which will have a 2-4 week(or month) waiting period depending upon location), but if you're a qua-dra-ped, same day treatment.

This country could WELL AFFORD FREE HEALTH CARE but the pharmaceutical companies dictate what happens like trucking company insurance companies about who drives for whom.
Canada isn't a small country and they have FREE HEALTH CARE.
- - - -
Our Roads were built TO LAST in the 40's (with, as we've witnessed, minor and irregular upgrades), so what if they're crumbling in places, they're still superior to any other country.
CHEERS......end of line

If the fuel taxes actually were actually used for roads/ bridges I would not object. The problem is that historically such funds will be raided by politicians for social programs to buy votes. Many years ago Slick got the largest fuel tax increase in the history of the state to put interstate quality highways all across the state. Anybody that has traveled much of this state knows that after all those years that promise has not been fulfilled.

Arkansas right?
The most heavily travelled parts are I-40 from west trashy to Little Rock and I-30 from L.R. to Texarkana.
There's too the lumpy short bit of I-55 from I-40 to I-240.
530 is just a washboard and 440 seems to randomly receive damaging "upgrades".

Toll roads are for another post.
CHEERIOS & Orange Juice!!

Arkansas right?
The most heavily travelled parts are I-40 from west trashy to Little Rock and I-30 from L.R. to Texarkana.
There's too the lumpy short bit of I-55 from I-40 to I-240.
530 is just a washboard and 440 seems to randomly receive damaging "upgrades".

Toll roads are for another post.
CHEERIOS & Orange Juice!!

A major highway Slick promised to improve to interstate standards was US Hwy 67 north from Little Rock to the Missouri state line. That highway is still not finished. Slick's 10 year program is only 20 years behind.
Some of the largest trucking companies are headquartered in Arkansas but the power units & trailers are licensed elsewhere. The state has peed in it's own canteen by raising the fees for tags by ridiculous amounts. That forced the companies to purchase their base tags elsewhere in order to be competitive. The state would reap a windfall if it would bring the fees down to other states. The owners of the trucking companies are loyal Arkansans but they have to compete with other companies. I don't know how many tractors & trailers J B Hunt, Tyson, Walmart, ABF, etc. combined own but the total revenue for tags for only those fleets would fund a lot of highway construction.

Some of the largest trucking companies are headquartered in Arkansas but the power units & trailers are licensed elsewhere. The state has peed in it's own canteen by raising the fees for tags by ridiculous amounts. That forced the companies to purchase their base tags elsewhere in order to be competitive.
AR is not alone there. I believe that today the power units cost the same to register everywhere and they apportion the taxes to the various states based on mileage reports, when they are all required to submit. It would be different for a normal commercial license on a truck that does not leave its respective state. But here in PA we used to see a whole lot of ME tags on trailers for the reasons you have stated. I'm sure it helped ME out with their budget at least a little.

If the fuel taxes actually were actually used for roads/ bridges I would not object. The problem is that historically such funds will be raided by politicians for social programs to buy votes. Many years ago Slick got the largest fuel tax increase in the history of the state to put interstate quality highways all across the state. Anybody that has traveled much of this state knows that after all those years that promise has not been fulfilled.

Yep! Just another way to legally get our money!

Lot's of excellent posts. I agree with many of you, find the money that you already have. Use it, rather than on some pet project. There's got to be accountability here. The government has their hand out for everything. I say no more taxes, use what you have

Lot's of excellent posts. I agree with many of you, find the money that you already have. Use it, rather than on some pet project. There's got to be accountability here. The government has their hand out for everything. I say no more taxes, use what you have
Words will never change anything. You say no more taxes, I say the same, but the administration does what it wants.