ODFL | What Are Your Thoughts On The New Eld Tablets

Just take them out of the cradle
That would the easiest answer, but we are not allowed to remove them YET They are paired to a specific truck and they(those that train) do not wish them to get mixed up. Second , if they go inside linehaul will not be able to get to them on the weekend with the office locked. Leave them in the drivers room and they may disappear.

Brand? What do they look like? Still enjoy using peoplenet here.
They are samsung 8 inch tablet possible a Tab A of Tab E once turned on and plugged into the cradle, never turned off. Much like your cell phone will go to sleep after logging off.

My truck has the new tablet but we haven’t switched over to the new ELD system. I’ve also wondered about them withstanding the heat... I’ve heard the new system is supposed to be easy to operate, although my first meet driver is still being manually dispatched and my second driver has no problems. Both from the same terminal.

The new system is very easy. the first time you log in you change the password and over the next day or two you get caught up on the backlog of log violations that are stored in its memory. that is also easy. after that is done, except changing trailer numbers and manifest numbers you do nothing with it. no more inspections pre,inter,post.

I’m not with OD but we have a handful of those at Estes and I have one, Samsung tablet. Much faster and more reliable than the old Peoplenet unit. I have caught it several times on a hot afternoon saying it was too hot to function but after a few minutes of AC blowing it’s back to business. Big improvement over those old units in my opinion.

What do you do for inspections then?? Just physically change duty status to inspection?

I've never had a single issue with peoplenet outside of the early version with all the buttons on the sides and that circle. If these tablets cant handle the heat, I'd imagine they wont handle the cold that great over night. Peoplenet and Qualcomm are kind of the norm so not sure what to make of the new systems. Then again, I dont care for the 2019 trucks either.

What do you do for inspections then?? Just physically change duty status to inspection?

I've never had a single issue with peoplenet outside of the early version with all the buttons on the sides and that circle. If these tablets cant handle the heat, I'd imagine they wont handle the cold that great over night. Peoplenet and Qualcomm are kind of the norm so not sure what to make of the new systems. Then again, I dont care for the 2019 trucks either.
Yard Move counts has inspection. Eld doesn't require a inspection to show.So the time you are on yard move is good enough

An inspection notated on your log is not a DOT requirement, you’re just required to do an inspection.

An inspection notated on your log is not a DOT requirement, you’re just required to do an inspection.
Believe more of a OD thing.Do think after they get the bug's worked out they will add the inspection back.But,for now OD is just trying to get it all together for compliance in Dec of this year.There federal eld extension runs out.

I’m not with OD but we have a handful of those at Estes and I have one, Samsung tablet. Much faster and more reliable than the old Peoplenet unit. I have caught it several times on a hot afternoon saying it was too hot to function but after a few minutes of AC blowing it’s back to business. Big improvement over those old units in my opinion.

Is it like the old ppl net? Once you drive it takes 5 miles or so to change over? Or is it immediately? Can you run around yard off duty dropping and hooking to get a 30. Or at a red light down road go on duty to not waste your drive time.

Is it like the old ppl net? Once you drive it takes 5 miles or so to change over? Or is it immediately? Can you run around yard off duty dropping and hooking to get a 30. Or at a red light down road go on duty to not waste your drive time.

You’re not supposed to be doing that anyway. Get caught and you’ll be out on your ass. But to answer your question, no, as soon as you leave the geo footprint of the terminal it puts you on driving. The good thing is as soon as you enter the gate it asks if you want to go on yard moves. It will keep you on line 4 for as long as you want while on the yard under 15 mph. No more worrying about driving 2 miles around a big yard and getting kicked to driving. Had that happen once after an ice storm, it took 20 minutes off my drive time.

Yes it’s got those same parameters as the old ones.

Oh, I was always taught to show a pre and post trip inspection on logs and an inspection anytime switching equipment or if running flat bed within the time frame or miles required.

You definitely don't want to get caught drop and hooking on a 30 or even off duty starting your shift. I'm sure if you forget to switch duty status or it doesn't register the switch it might be different but they've put on memos before about doing stuff off duty.

Guess we'll see what happens with the new eld roll out. Right now I'm still loving my peoplenet and really love the one in my truck being flush mounted with the dash. Now if they could just get rid of the CMS...

Been a crew here in SAC for the last few nights. They're moving the BLU to a side mount on the side of the dash and putting a new cradle for the new units in the spot where the BLU was.No actual units yet.

Been a crew here in SAC for the last few nights. They're moving the BLU to a side mount on the side of the dash and putting a new cradle for the new units in the spot where the BLU was.No actual units yet.
Good to hear they are getting out your way.Hopefully they will have all installed in a couple month's.There ELD Extension runs out in December.