FedEx Freight | What are your thoughts on what Fedex will do next in March?

More furloughs. I heard a rumor that FedEx was working on retirement packages for some older drivers. But you know how rumors at FedEx go. Honestly im not really sure what that would entail. Would be nice though, we have 6-7 drivers in their late 60's early 70's that are kicking themselves for not retiring a couple of years ago.

More furloughs. I heard a rumor that FedEx was working on retirement packages for some older drivers. But you know how rumors at FedEx go. Honestly im not really sure what that would entail. Would be nice though, we have 6-7 drivers in their late 60's early 70's that are kicking themselves for not retiring a couple of years ago.

I haven't heard the rumors, but I get all of my gossip from truckingboards. From talking to senior guys in my building, they're taking using this to sample the retired life.

I think more furloughs are coming too. More people would be willing to take off March to whenever because the weather is nice and tax returns.

We have drivers in their 70’s and mid 70’s here if a retirement package doesn’t interest them now then they will most likely die in the truck because they don’t want to retire

When the retirement buy out rumor was going around a couple of months ago our TM asked the regional director about it and he said he has heard nothing about it. So I would guess it is just wishful thinking.

When the retirement buy out rumor was going around a couple of months ago our TM asked the regional director about it and he said he has heard nothing about it. So I would guess it is just wishful thinking.
Our regional guy said the same thing 2 days before they announced the first furlough last year lol they know

I sure wish people knew what really went on. It is so sad to peoples lives played with like a string. We drivers hold the key to so much power... but as a group we don't know how much power we control. Keep taking it on the chin... some day we will stand up together. It really is so sad to watch. Especially knowing the what happens in the background. My hope is someday you realize we are just numbers and the song and dance.. its just that. If majority ever grew a backbone you would probably see different results. Do you know what was done when the U was feared it was coming.... I don't think anyone knows the hoops that were jumped threw. I am telling you it is sad to see how people are treated by this company.

They won't retire we have drivers in their 70s at Yellow making over $10,000 a month with pay, pension and social security.

My hope is that they cancel their PT contracts, and work as many of their employees they hired and trained till economy rebounds.

Then if it doesn't at least you made a effort to keep your employees, and layoffs are unfortunate.

We all know that won't happen so good luck all.

The buyout is an interesting theory, and I could see it happening.
Tenured drivers near retirement get a taste of not having go work when they take the furlough. Get settled into the lifestyle.

Big (somewhat) lump of cash dangled in front of them as they're dreading the return in March.

Sounds good in theory, but i really don't see a buyout at all. they making great money even in a :shit:ty economy(bonus proves results). Why would they pay when they can just have drivers on furlough and not really cost them anything. I'm sure though there are quite a few drivers who would jump at the chance at any buy out money cause there already thinking of leaving. to me , its just a rumor that will not amount to anything. if it happens then god bless all the drivers that take it and then enjoy there retirement.

Sounds good in theory, but i really don't see a buyout at all. they making great money even in a ****ty economy(bonus proves results). Why would they pay when they can just have drivers on furlough and not really cost them anything. I'm sure though there are quite a few drivers who would jump at the chance at any buy out money cause there already thinking of leaving. to me , its just a rumor that will not amount to anything. if it happens then god bless all the drivers that take it and then enjoy there retirement.
Old drivers are expensive to maintain in any economy.
Statistically, they have 4x the medical issues, they're topped out in pay, and get more paid off time.

If they can replace a 25yr man who's 60 with high BP, diabetes and on the verge of triple bypass with a healthy, 23yr old, they'll make that trade.

Old drivers are expensive to maintain in any economy.
Statistically, they have 4x the medical issues, they're topped out in pay, and get more paid off time.

If they can replace a 25yr man who's 60 with high BP, diabetes and on the verge of triple bypass with a healthy, 23yr old, they'll make that trade.