What are your top influential components when choosing a company to drive for? Is pay number one?

roadscholar88

TB Lurker
Credits
It’s obvious that with the current driver shortage that the industry is facing, carriers are competing to recruit drivers. How would you rank the top priorities when determining who you drive for? Is pay number one? Condition of Equipment? Home time? Benefits? Respect?...etc. What would your top priorities be?

What can a carrier do to have a competitive advance over another company when recruiting drivers?

It’s obvious that with the current driver shortage that the industry is facing, carriers are competing to recruit drivers. How would you rank the top priorities when determining who you drive for? Is pay number one? Condition of Equipment? Home time? Benefits? Respect?...etc. What would your top priorities be?

What can a carrier do to have a competitive advance over another company when recruiting drivers?

it's obvious this alleged driver shortage has been going on for decades.

there is no competition for drivers, only bodies to fill the seats and fire on a moment's notice.

what can a company do?

stop being jerks, making false promises, stop pushing lease/purchase deals, and have higher expectations of drivers, rather than to hire from the local CDL Mills that only produce half assed drivers.

How would you rank the top priorities when determining who you drive for? Is pay number one? Condition of Equipment? Home time? Benefits? Respect?...etc.

Everyone has their own specific needs or wants...... Each of the criteria you mentioned is going to hold different levels of importance for diffrent drivers....there is no one singularly "top priority" for all drivers.....they each have their own priorities.....

Since most carriers within any specific segment of trucking are going to be similar and competitive with each other, the most important part of the recruiting process would logically be the talents and ability of the recruter to "connect" with potential employees.... I think the difference and main advantage, with all other things being closely competitive, is the quality and experience of the recruiters....
What would your top priorities be?

Personally, and thankfully, I'm past that stage in life.......
Even though, as I've already mentioned, each of your listed criteria holds varying degrees of importance to individual drivers, I would venture to say, for most drivers, its a balance between the things you mentioned..... It was for me when I was having to make the choice.....

Recooked Thread.
Anyone have any offerings??

It’s obvious that with the current driver shortage that the industry is facing, carriers are competing to recruit drivers.
Problem is they're all taking from the bottom of the barrel or (seems like the) Gene Pool.
How would you rank the top priorities when determining who you drive for?

Is pay number one?
Number 2.
Condition of Equipment?
#1. Yes as well TYPE=Make/Model. If the equipment is Crap, it's a Deal dumper.
Home time?
#3. Last long term gig (almost 6 years) I was home after 4-5 days: usually out Friday, In Tuesday. - -6 years at a company ain't nothing to some Drivers and impossible for some Drivers- -
Benefits?
#4. Some companies charge A LOT and don't deliver the goods. Some Companies deliver without crazy pricing. Need to research before jumping in that Large Car/Rooster Cruiser.
Respect?...etc.
Respect Is EARNED, Not Given! What exactly IS Respect? ->Not badgering Drivers? ->Not having Driver Facing Cameras? ->Not demanding Drivers drive when Drivers are not behind as in "You still Have 3 Hours Drive Time!"? ->Not Calling Drivers to "wake them up" for some "favor"? ->Not LYING to Drivers? A "Thank You" and/or "Good Job" once a week or so is appreciated yet I never expected such accolade.
What would your top priorities be?
See above.
See above.
CHEERS!!

Last edited:
Money obviously is near the top or to some degree be right up there, quality of equipment is very important, as is the company's safety scores which can shed some light on to how it's run and it's reputation within the industry, as mentioned before respect is key, if I'm doing a good job and doing it safely....leave me alone, but for me is quality of life while working for a company was most important not only for me but for family life (pretty sure we're not put on this earth to hate life). Another thing I would do when scouting out a company is check out the employee parking lot, granted some guys drive beaters back and forth to work but not everybody, i liked seeing a good mixture of nice cars and motorcycles.

It will take over a decade for companies to figure out how to dispatch trucks with Elogs not too mention recognize the cost of living has gone up and .45 per mile doesn't pay the bills anymore.

A driver shortage ? Nah it's more like inept company ownership (s) who are afraid of speaking up for drivers