What do I need for this transition?

Solar Flare

TB Lurker
Credits
hey drivers, I have passed all interviews, road tests, medical, etc etc..... just waiting for the call for my start date, was told it would probably be late may but could be early june if they can't finish all the paperwork processing on all the drivers that will be in this class in time. Anyway, I will be out of the Brooksville, FL DC. I have been an OTR driver for nearly 20 years. I have a lot of tools and supplies with me in the truck because of travelling lower 48 and Canada 300+ days a year. I know when I start with Wal-Mart I will be slip seating quite a bit to start, and then even when you get your own truck I think you would probably need to clean it out after every tour due to other drivers slip seating in it. So here is my question for other road drivers that transitioned to Wal-Mart. What supplies did you have as an OTR that you still needed at Wal-Mart, and what supplies did you have that you no longer needed when you started at Wal-Mart? I want to travel as light as possible, but I also want to make sure I have what I need. Thanks all for any advice, I am on cloud nine, really looking forward to this move to Wal-Mart!

I don't drive for Wally, just wanted to say congrats. Driving for Wally is a great gig. Be safe and Good luck!

Congrats SF, I don't work for them either but I would imagine they won't want you working on the equipment. A couple of basic tools for minor repairs is all you should need. Other than that just your personal need type stuff. Maybe a Wally driver will chime in if I'm wrong.

Thanks for those replies, and just an update, got the final call today... start date june 3rd! yay! SuperCourse, that's one of the things I had in mind was tools and working on equipment. I have all kinds of hand tools because being OTR it was either fix it myself or wait 3-4 hrs for road repair to show up. But I was thinking that slip seating alot will make it hard to carry lots of tools, and probably it won't really be necessary since I'll be in FL 90% of the time, so I won't have to worry about frozen brakes or stuff like that anymore. Anyway, thanks again for the replies, hoping a Wal-Mart driver can give me some info here before june 3.

Thanks for those replies, and just an update, got the final call today... start date june 3rd! yay! SuperCourse, that's one of the things I had in mind was tools and working on equipment. I have all kinds of hand tools because being OTR it was either fix it myself or wait 3-4 hrs for road repair to show up. But I was thinking that slip seating alot will make it hard to carry lots of tools, and probably it won't really be necessary since I'll be in FL 90% of the time, so I won't have to worry about frozen brakes or stuff like that anymore. Anyway, thanks again for the replies, hoping a Wal-Mart driver can give me some info here before june 3.

I slipseat with ABF. I carry a three or four wrenches, a flathead screwdriver and some gorilla tape. Enough to tightened some mirrors, change out grommets and gorrilla tape for everything else. If I can't fix it with those, then send a mechanic or tow truck.

I very rarely see a Wal-Mart on the side of the highway. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Besides, I do believe Wally pays breakdown time.

Now I guess you can carry as much as you want. But with slip seating, you wanna be able to switch out tractors in less than 30 min, so you can get rolling again to make the big $$$$!

I slipseat with ABF. I carry a three or four wrenches, a flathead screwdriver and some gorilla tape. Enough to tightened some mirrors, change out grommets and gorrilla tape for everything else. If I can't fix it with those, then send a mechanic or tow truck.

I very rarely see a Wal-Mart on the side of the highway. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Besides, I do believe Wally pays breakdown time.

Now I guess you can carry as much as you want. But with slip seating, you wanna be able to switch out tractors in less than 30 min, so you can get rolling again to make the big $$$$!

Thanks Stoney, and this is exactly what I am talking about, I want to be able to change trucks quickly so I can keep moving, but I don't want to be out on the road saying to myself "I should have brought that with me". Thanks again

I drive for Wally, the only thing I have found that I need to carry is a pair of vice grips..You get that occasional trailer that when you slide the tandems, you need to lock the handle out to keep the pins pulled out. Congrats on the job, it is an excellent place to work.

I drive for Wally, the only thing I have found that I need to carry is a pair of vice grips..You get that occasional trailer that when you slide the tandems, you need to lock the handle out to keep the pins pulled out. Congrats on the job, it is an excellent place to work.

Thanks Richard, I like the sound of that!

I too had an interview, I passed the first interview ,I then met with a safety guy, did a pre trip and a road test which I passed. A week later I was called in to do a dot physical & a drug test and paper work for a background check. It has been a week since I have heard from Walmart, I am starting to worry a bit... Does the backgroung check take more than a week?

I too had an interview, I passed the first interview ,I then met with a safety guy, did a pre trip and a road test which I passed. A week later I was called in to do a dot physical & a drug test and paper work for a background check. It has been a week since I have heard from Walmart, I am starting to worry a bit... Does the backgroung check take more than a week?

They WILL call you either way. Trust me. They called me when I was tuned down.

They will also send you a denial email.

Just be patient.

don't worry, they have to send all that paperwork to bentonville HQ to be processed, you'll get the call, don't worry. what DC did you apply at?

6 months on the job now.

The key is to travel light. You will be back at your DC often, and will be able to grab items out of your vehicle, so just take what you need as far as food and clothes go. Take your cleaning supplies, as you want to leave the truck in as good or better condition than you received it in. Carry a few basic tools, as others have stated. Don't be afraid to get things fixed as soon as you notice them, as the shops do a great job.

This is a fantastic organization. There is a pretty good learning curve, but take your time and find your pattern of doing things. Stick to it and be safe.

Congrats, you will love the job. The people are great also.

For those waiting for their next call, just be patient. It can be a slow process, but it is all worth it in the end. :)

Extreme 4x4, thanks, been on the job 3 weeks now, you are right on the money with that advice. and yes, this is a fantastic organization, wish i had done this years ago, but so glad i finally did. i got a plastic bin to put all my stuff in, a small tool bag that looks more like a money pouch from a bank to keep just a few small tools in, and my bedding and clothes. takes me less than 5 minutes to switch trucks when i have to slip seat, then clean the truck which takes just a few minutes. 1st week was class, 2nd with mentor, 3rd was on my own. in that 3rd week i only had to change trucks once, i know that will not always be the case, but that's ok, it's well worth it!

As my mentor said, take your time, be safe, and the money will come. That is as close of an answer as you will get, other than to say it was better than I expected.