ODFL | What do you do when running out of time?

We had a city driver a few years ago during a major snowstorm, ran out of hours, no way to get back to the yard because Portland couldn’t keep up with the plows and multiple wrecks. He drove the truck home and went to bed, wasn’t that far off the interstate. Limped it in the next morning and was asked to clean his truck out. The line trucks were stuck on the interstate for I believe it was for 8 hours, plus the time of their runs. They were within 5 miles of the yard.
I'd bet he was shown the door for taking the truck home, not for shutting it down, other drivers have been terminated for it, One was let go at our place a few years ago even though he was pulling empties would park the truck at a truck stop at the enroute suburb he lived in and go home.

I'd bet he was shown the door for taking the truck home, not for shutting it down, other drivers have been terminated for it, One was let go at our place a few years ago even though he was pulling empties would park the truck at a truck stop at the enroute suburb he lived in and go home.
Wasn’t that Ernest T. Bass? Billo’s cousin.

I had a incident one morning at DM Bowman Frederick. I like to pick on these boys just a little bit for some of the stupid calcified corporate behavior....

Its 2 am, shes fired up. Logs and everything completed, trailer checked, tractor warmed up etc. Not due into Baltimore until 7 am. Hours and hours away. Go to Truckstop by I-70 a old 76 for breakfast. Two miles along the way.

One large meal complete Im safe to go work. Beats cooking at home. Now its 4 am and change when I pull out of that truckstop, 3 plus hours early for a 40 minute run. PLENTY of time.

Later on I am called into the carpet on the office at Corporate in the yard there. One of the dispatchers had been driving to work in the morning there saw my tractor unit number made a note to check on it on arrival at his desk. Learns I am not due into Baltimore until 7. But the truck and trailer was not in the yard. And it was too early. (They dont open until 5 am in Baltimore but thats not the problem)

And people wonder why I dont show up until its assigned time on the dot from then on. Early?" F you. Disclipined. Late? er Effed too., Running joyrides for meals? Punished.

Fine you drive the damn thing yourself. We have enough to worry about keeping your rigs and loads from killing people in that predatory rush hour enough as it is. If you cannot or willfilly fail to allow the doggies a little leash to take care of themselves then you are not a good company.

This driver is not a doggie to be caged in a shelter until adopted. Oh no.

I had a incident one morning at DM Bowman Frederick. I like to pick on these boys just a little bit for some of the stupid calcified corporate behavior....

Its 2 am, shes fired up. Logs and everything completed, trailer checked, tractor warmed up etc. Not due into Baltimore until 7 am. Hours and hours away. Go to Truckstop by I-70 a old 76 for breakfast. Two miles along the way.

One large meal complete Im safe to go work. Beats cooking at home. Now its 4 am and change when I pull out of that truckstop, 3 plus hours early for a 40 minute run. PLENTY of time.

Later on I am called into the carpet on the office at Corporate in the yard there. One of the dispatchers had been driving to work in the morning there saw my tractor unit number made a note to check on it on arrival at his desk. Learns I am not due into Baltimore until 7. But the truck and trailer was not in the yard. And it was too early. (They dont open until 5 am in Baltimore but thats not the problem)

And people wonder why I dont show up until its assigned time on the dot from then on. Early?" F you. Disclipined. Late? er Effed too., Running joyrides for meals? Punished.

Fine you drive the damn thing yourself. We have enough to worry about keeping your rigs and loads from killing people in that predatory rush hour enough as it is. If you cannot or willfilly fail to allow the doggies a little leash to take care of themselves then you are not a good company.

This driver is not a doggie to be caged in a shelter until adopted. Oh no.
Before tracking technology I knew a driver who would straight faced deny stuff like that and tell them to prove it ,he always won ,,,,, until company spy bought a round at the lunch joint and driver fell for it

I've run out of time twice within 20 miles of the terminal since getting the computers, 1st time terminal manager met me and a city driver brought the equipment in ,no issues.
2nd time the outbound supervisor said "that isn't my problem" so I called Central and Rex answered the phone when I told him what the outbound sup said Rex replied "we'll see who's problem that is" the Sup was there to pick me up 15 minutes later.. Your terminal doesn't have the last word in these matters...
Exactly,Both times I ran out of hours I knew several hours before I would not have the time..I called ahead several times to give my terminal a heads up and what exit I would meet them at..Never ran out completely..Always had a couple minutes to spare when I logged out and someone was there waiting on me.Never had to wait..Again,called communication..

We all might be out of time if this happens. As I type this there is a increasing attention to the idea that our entire Modern World including all modern trucking, computers and all that will simply go poof.

We are just waiting on it to see if it ejects a class X flare. It has loaded up the power to do it aimed at Earth now. If it did, it will take a couple of days for the storm to bathe the planet and burn, fry and delete everything with wires inside of them that is not otherwise sheilded in lead plate and under water. Or faraday cages (Microwave ovens)

Fill the bathtub for toilet water. Cars, trucks, and planes etc wont be running. Nor will your town's or district water and sewer.

Link is space weather dot com. Live in real time. NASA and NWS space weather warning center is keeping a eye on this thing too in real time.

The last time this happened was back in the 1800's called the Carrington Event. There was telegraph wires back then and it burned it all out and burned down some telegraph stations too. But because there was hardly any modern anything with wires inside of it Most people did not notice in real life other than a very bright night sky with glorious colors.

I've run out of time twice within 20 miles of the terminal since getting the computers, 1st time terminal manager met me and a city driver brought the equipment in ,no issues.
2nd time the outbound supervisor said "that isn't my problem" so I called Central and Rex answered the phone when I told him what the outbound sup said Rex replied "we'll see who's problem that is" the Sup was there to pick me up 15 minutes later.. Your terminal doesn't have the last word in these matters...
Good old Rex! My skin crawled when it was his week and I had to call in to central. Rex wasn't a very nice person to deal with. It was much better when Gary was working. Night and day difference between the two. I miss hearing Gary say "buh bye" in that southern accent when you got off the phone. When the call ended with Rex you didn't know it was over then all of a sudden you'd hear the dial tone.

Good old Rex! My skin crawled when it was his week and I had to call in to central. Rex wasn't a very nice person to deal with. It was much better when Gary was working. Night and day difference between the two. I miss hearing Gary say "buh bye" in that southern accent when you got off the phone. When the call ended with Rex you didn't know it was over then all of a sudden you'd hear the dial tone.
Rex was a real friendly bastard I take it?

Rex could be a prickly guy to deal with, but he was competent and had your back when you needed him to have it. Gary is still on the Northwest board alternate weeks.

I make more money when Gary is on the dispatch board,although I'm not sure that's such a great thing, on my relay bid I'll go from maybe 20 hooks/drops weekly when Jonathan is dispatching to 50-70 after breaking and reassembling hooked sets when Gary is doing the quarterbacking. Occasionally I'll break hooked sets and discover the other driver that has the same gate time will have the exact trailers that I spent time unhooking from.

Plan and prepare. If you’re running in adverse conditions then let dispatch know ahead of time like a couple of hours. Out of time in the summer due to a wreck on HWY 58, I parked it on the shoulder under a overpass about 3 miles from the yard. No problem, follow what the law say’s, period. OD does not supersede the law.
Absolutely correct! Just remember that if you elect to use a questionable DOT rule to do them a favor, you are assuming all the risk in the event that you are involved in an accident after you should have parked, even if it wasn't your fault. The attorneys will successfully argue you shouldn't have been there for their client to hit you if you had been following the law. And a provably absurd adverse weather excuse will quickly be thrown out of court, and quite possibly prejudice the jury against you. And the dispatcher that said go for it won't know your name... Adverse weather means weather conditions encountered enroute that were unknown to you before departure. PERIOD! FULL STOP! It does not mean traffic delays, enroute terminal delays, breakdowns, etc. You can't leave in a snowstorm and use that extra hour of driving. If you chose to do stupid things you will eventually win stupid prizes, and the financial ruin you face will destroy you AND your family. The law isn't your enemy, it is there to protect you from criminal and civil litigation and the horrific personal costs involved in the event of an accident, and as a professional driver you need to always remember that.

Last edited:
I know a driver(out of GBO) that would ALWAYS use the 'rescue option'. He's not very smart! Last time he 'used' it, he was 50 miles away from HAR and it took 6 hours for them to send someone. He said he was out of time at HAR and they sent him. He didn't use the I'M OUT OF TIME AND DONE term, which is what he SHOULD'VE used! He just said, 'ok'. NOT SMART! He also got robbed in Jersey City, so...there's that! lol