ODFL | What do you do when running out of time?

Weather & 2 hour return to terminal exemption are not allowed at OD and never have.Never ? why OD does what they do..We work for them and drive there equipment.If you don’t like it you are free to leave anytime.lol
Like I have said, I always had my go bag and if there’s more than one of us, there’s a couple of places within walking distance to ease the pain. If anyone knows Hwy 58 over Williamette Pass, I’ve shutdown and stayed at Williamette Pass Inn. To many Swifty’s, Knight’s and Abi Dabi’s wrecked all over 97 between Sand Creek and Chemult.

Like I have said, I always had my go bag and if there’s more than one of us, there’s a couple of places within walking distance to ease the pain. If anyone knows Hwy 58 over Williamette Pass, I’ve shutdown and stayed at Williamette Pass Inn. To many Swifty’s, Knight’s and Abi Dabi’s wrecked all over 97 between Sand Creek and Chemult.
Billy's favorite is the Do Drop Inn, he said the waitress always helped him chain up.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of the adverse weather increase in the HOS on 9/29/2020. BTW: there is no limit within the 70 hr rule as to how many times you can use this, either, as long as it was unknown to you at departure each time. I thought it was still 1 hr extra driving and 14 hr total. that I remember. 13 hrs driving and 16 hrs total on duty is just insane. Good for ODFL. 12 and 14 wore me out many times. Driving 13 and chaining/unchaining/ waiting for 16 is brutal. This will necessitate 2- 30 min breaks to be included within that 16 hr window as well. The last one could be required literally on the off ramp to the terminal, by the way, beginning at the 15.5 hr mark regardless of if the terminal is in sight or not.. This can't stand. It is ridiculous. I hope the dot/ fmcsa gets sued for this. There is no way this is safe. So does ODFL adhere to the old 12 hrs driving and 14 hr total weather exemption, or ignore it altogether?
I still interpret the 2 hour adverse as unlimited, 16 hour short haul once per cycle. One thirty minute, non driving, after 8 hours driving. I used to do 68-69 hours in 5 days, all legal; knew the ins & outs. BTW if you take your 30 @ 7:59, you only need one for 16; even under the old 30 after eight on duty.

who's Abi Dabi's?

True story, California Abi Dabi looking confused trying to figure out how to put chains on. Yes he had his flip flops on in the snow. Did I help him, no.
Did he at least "chain up" his flip-flops before he got out of the cab?

PS - Those come in handy when trying to walk around the Montreal terminal yard/skating rink in winter! :smile new:

Weather & 2 hour return to terminal exemption are not allowed at OD and never have.Never ? why OD does what they do..We work for them and drive there equipment.If you don’t like it you are free to leave anytime.lol
I never worked for them grumpy. Take down your flag, I surrender...Just trying to understand their reasoning. They never allowed the old 1 hr extra of driving and 14 hr total on duty exemption for road drivers either that were in effect until the increased HOS on 9/29 2020? There were 2 weather exemptions allowed under the old HOS rules, I believe if IRC. 1 was a 2hr exemption for shorthaul turnaround runs to let them get back to their terminal and another was a 1 hr driving exemption for road drivers to allow reaching a safe haven only. Just trying to clarify....If they never did, then good for them. They considered the safety of their drivers and the motoring public more important, apparently.

Last edited:
I never worked for them grumpy. Take down your flag, I surrender...Just trying to understand their reasoning. They never allowed the old 1 hr extra of driving and 14 hr total on duty exemption for road drivers either that were in effect until the increased HOS on 9/29 2020? There were 2 weather exemptions allowed under the old HOS rules, I believe if IRC. 1 was a 2hr exemption for shorthaul turnaround runs to let them get back to their terminal and another was a 1 hr driving exemption for road drivers to allow reaching a safe haven only. Just trying to clarify....If they never did, then good for them. They considered the safety of their drivers and the motoring public more important, apparently.
Never have..OD uses 11 hours Driving .14 hours total On Duty and you better not mess with those computers.I’ve known good drivers loose there jobs for trying to mess with those old original Peoplenet Systems back in the day..New Cortex System today are bullet proof..Good thing with the new ELD rules we are allowed to Edit them ourself now

Never have..OD uses 11 hours Driving .14 hours total On Duty and you better not mess with those computers.I’ve known good drivers loose there jobs for trying to mess with those old original Peoplenet Systems back in the day..New Cortex System today are bullet proof..Good thing with the new ELD rules we are allowed to Edit them ourself now
Thx for confirming that grumpy. But what do you mean you can now edit your ELD logs yourself? Are they TRYING to back to the 1930s? BTW: I was just wondering how they paid a driver if they went to bed enroute and continued on in to their destination after their rest. Did they get an 8hr mini or just a mileage rate on in to their destination? We had an a**hole in dispatch that tried to change our dispatch when we got up and extend us on beyond our destination to get the 8hr work out of us anyway. He tried that a couple of times before we got that stopped. They finally agreed to pay us the 10 hrs rest and then just complete the trip on our rest. It worked out well for all concerned.

Last edited:
Thx for confirming that grumpy. But what do you mean you can now edit your ELD logs yourself? Are they TRYING to back to the 1930s?
Yes,last ELD Update allows the driver to edit there logs now..Duty Status can be changed and you can add a duty status..Plus,for the driver..Some drivers are not aware of this change

Yes,last ELD Update allows the driver to edit there logs now..Duty Status can be changed and you can add a duty status..Plus,for the driver..Some drivers are not aware of this change
When I retired from ABF 14 yrs ago, we couldn't audit anything ourselves. Only our supervisor could do that, and he hated to do it.. But I can see where this is headed. It is designed to get us fighting amongst ourselves, when the hard-charging attaboys go on in and others go to bed enroute, and damn the DOT to hell for setting this up! They rolled over for the companies, and the exemption of retaining the 16 hrs of on duty time for UPS and FedEx pilots vs airline flight crews proves it! ODFL is right. Like I said on our forum on ABF, this will result in extending runs to take advantage of the increased adverse weather hours available and moving drivers. The weather restrictions were a thorn in the companies sides. It is allowed now, but it will be expected later, watch and see...

Last edited: