ODFL | What do you do when running out of time?

MidnightRider

TB Lurker
Credits
What do you do about running out time when you are close to a terminal? I’m talking about driving time or going over your 14. Management, dispatchers, and everyone in between has a different opinion on what we should do wether it’s sit and wait, use PC, use adverse conditions, etc. OD really needs to get everyone on the same page about this. There is no clear defined policy and procedure for what we are supposed to do.

By the way, if you say to park and wait to be rescued, good luck with that. Some coworkers have been told it would be 6 hours or 12 hours before they were helped. That is unacceptable. OD needs to do better than that.

Adverse conditions always. It gives you 2 more hours…you can use it everyday of the week as opposed to your 16… and nobody can/or will take the time to prove there was or wasn’t…. You’re the captain of the boat. I used to work at (XPO) and laughed every time I heard about drivers that would stop 20 minutes away from the terminal or an hour away from the terminal waiting seven hours for someone to pick them up when all they had to do was use adverse and get back …who cares …no one‘s going to get audited nobody cares …no one is able to check on whether there was a crash or whether there was bad weather …just use adverse …gives you two hours to get you home.

Out of time? Done. Hit the sleeper or hotel.

See you all tomorrow. No more trucking 24/7 like a hero for ::shit::. Dispatch does not give a damn one way or another unless you actually stopped.

Stopping because you are legally at the federal level out of hours is meaningless to them. They can always fire you or poison your working well so you quit and go elsewhere.

To Darwin, there is no way to get away with adverse conditions rule anymore. In the day of massive databases that knows exactly what the situation was weather and so forth anywhere on the planet going back they can convict you for abusing that rule.

Dispatch gave me 16 hours plus of work to stuff into a 10 hour day (Old logs)

Great. Get what we can today and tomorrow will finish up. If the dispatch kicks me or complains? All they have to do is stfu with that whining noise and send a driver to get my trailer and finish up that 6 hours work.

Quitting time means quitting time. Done. Dont like it? I'll buy you a few drinks and hurrah you with the girls a few hours. You will feel way better.

What do you do about running out time when you are close to a terminal? I’m talking about driving time or going over your 14. Management, dispatchers, and everyone in between has a different opinion on what we should do wether it’s sit and wait, use PC, use adverse conditions, etc. OD really needs to get everyone on the same page about this. There is no clear defined policy and procedure for what we are supposed to do.

By the way, if you say to park and wait to be rescued, good luck with that. Some coworkers have been told it would be 6 hours or 12 hours before they were helped. That is unacceptable. OD needs to do better than that.
Forget company policy or dispatch/management attitude. The law is perfectly clear and it's there to protect us. What's wrong with you people? The law is on our side, use it. SMH.

Adverse conditions always. It gives you 2 more hours…you can use it everyday of the week as opposed to your 16… and nobody can/or will take the time to prove there was or wasn’t…. You’re the captain of the boat. I used to work at (XPO) and laughed every time I heard about drivers that would stop 20 minutes away from the terminal or an hour away from the terminal waiting seven hours for someone to pick them up when all they had to do was use adverse and get back …who cares …no one‘s going to get audited nobody cares …no one is able to check on whether there was a crash or whether there was bad weather …just use adverse …gives you two hours to get you home.
So you laughed at drivers that followed the law while you got a pat on the head from the boss? What a guy!

I used adverse conditions in an ice storm that was not in the forecast and got to my terminal what would have been 11 minutes over my drive time of 11 hours. I was under my 14. I got a letter of instruction. I’ll never use that again. I’ll GPS to the nearest Holiday Inn Express the first sign of a non forecasted snowflake next winter too. All because of that letter.

Also, I don’t care if I dont make it past Rawson Ave in Oak Creek leaving the terminal. Safety first, remember?

Letters. HA.

I had a suit hand me a red letter once over something that he got rubbed the wrong way over. I lost a tire due to no air in it, disposed of it and bought another with my own cash. Situation was over.

Only it wasnt.

He hands me this letter that was really bad. A bomb as it were.

I read it in front of him, he pushed a form and a pen saying sign this.

I tore the letter four times in front of him, tore that form and snapped the pen. All of it went into the waste basket.

Told him to keep the 300 dollar tire as a gift from me. Im gone. And good riddiance.

Never mind that I should have kept a eye on air in tires. I learned that my own self. And now people wonder why I get difficult when a semi tire is discovered to be with any problem whatsoever.

Oh thats fine, run it.

Put that in writing sir.

Oh no. Its fine run it.

Put a new tire on there then, you can stick that old one anywhere.

Oh no...

round and round she goes.

Not OD .You will get wrote up .OD doesn't use that..

Last edited:

I've always said communication.In past I see I'm going to be close I go ahead and call destination terminal and give them a heads up.Dont wait till you are out of time..Gives the Terminal time to get someone to meet you.

Out of time? Done. Hit the sleeper or hotel.

See you all tomorrow. No more trucking 24/7 like a hero for ****. Dispatch does not give a damn one way or another unless you actually stopped.

Stopping because you are legally at the federal level out of hours is meaningless to them. They can always fire you or poison your working well so you quit and go elsewhere.

To Darwin, there is no way to get away with adverse conditions rule anymore. In the day of massive databases that knows exactly what the situation was weather and so forth anywhere on the planet going back they can convict you for abusing that rule.

Dispatch gave me 16 hours plus of work to stuff into a 10 hour day (Old logs)

Great. Get what we can today and tomorrow will finish up. If the dispatch kicks me or complains? All they have to do is stfu with that whining noise and send a driver to get my trailer and finish up that 6 hours work.

Quitting time means quitting time. Done. Dont like it? I'll buy you a few drinks and hurrah you with the girls a few hours. You will feel way better.
Linehaul has daycabs so you can’t just crawl into the sleeper and call it a day. You can’t go to a hotel until you get to a terminal.

I've always said communication.In past I see I'm going to be close I go ahead and call destination terminal and give them a heads up.Dont wait till you are out of time..Gives the Terminal time to get someone to meet you.
A coworker did that a few months ago and was told that no one would be there to pick him up until the next day. He called the terminal at least an hour before he would run out of time.

If you’re just down the road driver,,,.. run it in and notate nowhere safe to pull off and sleep. Would do that before adverse condition,, I known guys who for using adverse and never hear about it.. they still audit. Ask the guys no longer here who hooked sets when off duty before hos change..,,

Plan and prepare. If you’re running in adverse conditions then let dispatch know ahead of time like a couple of hours. Out of time in the summer due to a wreck on HWY 58, I parked it on the shoulder under a overpass about 3 miles from the yard. No problem, follow what the law say’s, period. OD does not supersede the law.

Did the guy call central dispatch or the closest terminal? I was at motel going to bed in 11 hours sooner than knw local dispatcher said with a quick call to central dispatch. Cut from 12 hours waiting to only 1 all after a 3 minute phone call.

They weren’t super stoked, but brought a city driver out to bring in unit and pick me up nonetheless.

In my head when I walked in to get a tractor to take to motel, I wanted to tell the guy who I talked to on the phone (like that scene from Blazing Sadles, but wording changed a little) “**** on you! I work for Central Dispatch!”

Did the guy call central dispatch or the closest terminal? I was at motel going to bed in 11 hours sooner than knw local dispatcher said with a quick call to central dispatch. Cut from 12 hours waiting to only 1 all after a 3 minute phone call.

They weren’t super stoked, but brought a city driver out to bring in unit and pick me up nonetheless.

In my head when I walked in to get a tractor to take to motel, I wanted to tell the guy who I talked to on the phone (like that scene from Blazing Sadles, but wording changed a little) “**** on you! I work for Central Dispatch!”
Like I said a nice call to Central Dispatch “Corporate “ will definitely raise some eyebrows and most of the time get the attention of the upper’s..