ODFL | What do you do when running out of time?

correct! But help me here because I'm getting forgetful in my geezerhood. The 2 hr extension in driving is for shorthaul runs to return to their domicile, but not to exceed 14 hrs total? or is it extended to 16 hrs total under adverse for shorthaul? so 13 driving+1hr worktime. however for line haul it is 1 extra hr driving not to exceed 14 hrs total, or 12 hrs driving and 2 hrs worktime not to exceed 14 hr total on duty. Right? and this is to allow you to reach your dispatched destination location, not just your home domicile. Shorthaul are all turnaround runs anyway.
The 2hr shorthaul exemption can only be used once a week for work at your home terminal unless you’ve had a 34 hr re~start and must have returned to you home terminal the previous 7 days. The adverse weather or unexpected bad driving conditions can be used to extend you day by 2hrs to 16 (driving up to 13) to reach your destination has long has the conditions or possible delay wasn’t known at the time of dispatch. There is nothing limiting how many times this can be used has long has all the regulations are met. There are a lot of guys that confuse the two exemptions.

True, but you still can’t go over your 70hrs. Also normally I always hauled hazmat coming home, there’s no way that I could make it back to my terminal being delayed by adverse weather due to Portland’s outdated freeway system. I’m sure that Billy could relate to this. I went to the nearest safe haven which was a terminal just a bit more than halfway on the return trip. I usually knew what I was doing before leaving my meet point and advised dispatch. Never had a issue.

True, but you still can’t go over your 70hrs. Also normally I always hauled hazmat coming home, there’s no way that I could make it back to my terminal being delayed by adverse weather due to Portland’s outdated freeway system. I’m sure that Billy could relate to this. I went to the nearest safe haven which was a terminal just a bit more than halfway on the return trip. I usually knew what I was doing before leaving my meet point and advised dispatch. Never had a issue.
Yes, 70hr/8 day always remains in effect. And what you’re doing is the safest thing to do then there’s never a question has to who knew what and when they knew it. Also to add to my previous post, the 2hr shorthaul exemption DOES NOT allow for driving past the 11th hr, while the exemption for the 2hr adverse weather DOES.

What do you do about running out time when you are close to a terminal? I’m talking about driving time or going over your 14. Management, dispatchers, and everyone in between has a different opinion on what we should do wether it’s sit and wait, use PC, use adverse conditions, etc. OD really needs to get everyone on the same page about this. There is no clear defined policy and procedure for what we are supposed to do.

By the way, if you say to park and wait to be rescued, good luck with that. Some coworkers have been told it would be 6 hours or 12 hours before they were helped. That is unacceptable. OD needs to do better than that.
I usually have Jesus take the wheel since I'm out of time!

Yes, 70hr/8 day always remains in effect. And what you’re doing is the safest thing to do then there’s never a question has to who knew what and when they knew it. Also to add to my previous post, the 2hr shorthaul exemption DOES NOT allow for driving past the 11th hr, while the exemption for the 2hr adverse weather DOES.
The two may be used together. Again, 16 hr is available once per 70/8.

Yes, good point. certain classes of haz-mat can't be left unattended while you take a rest period. Explosives A for one... Any others? That semi full of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and dynamite that caught fire and took out 8 city blocks of Roseburg Oregon on Aug 7th, 1959. proved the importance of that. 14 people died and over a hundred were hurt. The crater was 20 ft deep and 50 ft wide.

Yes, good point. certain classes of haz-mat can't be left unattended while you take a rest period. Explosives A for one... Any others? That semi full of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and dynamite that caught fire and took out 8 city blocks of Roseburg Oregon on Aug 7th, 1959. proved the importance of that. 14 people died and over a hundred were hurt. The crater was 20 ft deep and 50 ft wide.
here's the link to the pics of the damage. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=roseburg+or+explosion+aug+1959&iax=images&ia=images

And again any OD Driver who uses the Exemption will get wrote up and possible termination in OD Equipment..OD doesn’t allow anyone to use this option.Beware!
Many rules vary around this country at Od so there just aints no telling,,, drivers caught on texting cell phone still working here also,,

Company realize if they fire an idiot they will just replace with another idiot

Many rules vary around this country at Od so there just aints no telling,,, drivers caught on texting cell phone still working here also,,

Company realize if they fire an idiot they will just replace with another idiot
Correct,the telephone deal was example of over reacting with the new Cameras.Then the lawsuits started so Corporate decided they should give everyone 1 warning because they were loosing too many drivers.lol.The 2 hour exemption is not used by OD ..Other company may use it..

Too many Non-OD driver’s are chiming in on here and would hate for someone to read and believe they can use the exemption.Best thing to do is ask your Safety Supervisor or the person who overlooks your log records.My suggestion again has I have stated before is called communication.You are the one who knows if you have enough time to make the trip

Too many Non-OD driver’s are chiming in on here and would hate for someone to read and believe they can use the exemption.Best thing to do is ask your Safety Supervisor or the person who overlooks your log records.My suggestion again has I have stated before is called communication.You are the one who knows if you have enough time to make the trip
It would certainly be at the company's discretion to allow the use of the exemption under dot rules, however, It is difficult for a driver to predict his available hours remaining when he is in the middle of changing road, traffic and weather conditions. Why would they restrict their driver to that degree? Which exemption are we talking about here? The 2 hr short line return- to-terminal exemption or the 2 hr line haul driving exemption? Or is it both? Remember that you may incur another mandatory 30 min break if you reach another 8 hrs on duty that could cause you to violate your absolute 16 hr total on duty rule, as of 9/29 2020. I just read the revised rule extending the total on duty time to 16 hrs. I can't believe they are allowing this. The increased fatigue factor under these conditions is off the charts, but what the hell we're just truck drivers. Swamp trash in suits don't care. It would be instructive to understand what ODFL's reasoning is for this. Is it because of the increased fatigue it puts the driver under? If so, I salute ODFL. I don't know if ABF has done the same.

Last edited:
I wonder if they increased the HOS to 16 hours on duty for flight crews waiting out adverse weather conditions at airports for departure or landings? No? why not? They actually REDUCED aircrew flight crews flying passenger aircraft total on duty time from 16 hrs to 8-9 hrs on duty in 2010 due to reported fatigue issues and aircrews overflying destinations because they were, are you ready for this?... asleep!... And you will love this... They EXEMPTED flight crews that work for UPS and FEDEX (truck drivers in the sky) because it would be too costly for the companies to lose the availability of those pilots... Jesus! the arrogance of these feds... I was not aware of these rule changes until today when I researched this. Even though I am retired, this pisses me off!

Last edited:
It would certainly be at the company's discretion to allow the use of the exemption under dot rules, however, It is difficult for a driver to predict his available hours remaining when he is in the middle of changing road, traffic and weather conditions. Why would they restrict their driver to that degree? Which exemption are we talking about here? The 2 hr short line return- to-terminal exemption or the 2 hr line haul driving exemption? Or is it both? Remember that you may incur another mandatory 30 min break if you reach another 8 hrs on duty that could cause you to violate your absolute 16 hr total on duty rule, as of 9/29 2020. I just read the revised rule extending the total on duty time to 16 hrs. I can't believe they are allowing this. The increased fatigue factor under these conditions is off the charts, but what the hell we're just truck drivers. Swamp trash in suits don't care. It would be instructive to understand what ODFL's reasoning is for this. Is it because of the increased fatigue it puts the driver under? If so, I salute ODFL. I don't know if ABF has done the same.
Interesting. As I said before I tried to use the 2 hr exemption to get back to at least a safe haven. Safety said no, goes against OD policy. I figured no problem, why fight it or get bent out of shape over it. Due to unforeseen weather or accidents, I’d tell them where I was going to shutdown. Never had a problem. Psst, don’t tell anyone but I’d always get paid my wait time, full rate. A baker’s dozen goes a long way for a certain dispatcher. Hahaha.
Oh, oh, Billy might know who I am talking about. There’s going to be a full investigation by the ODOT, DOJ, and whoever. Neither of us work there anymore so I guess we’re safe.

Last edited:
I wonder if they increased the HOS to 16 hours on duty for flight crews waiting out adverse weather conditions at airports for departure or landings? No? why not? They actually REDUCED aircrew flight crews flying passenger aircraft total on duty time from 16 hrs to 8-9 hrs on duty in 2010 due to reported fatigue issues and aircrews overflying destinations because they were, are you ready for this?... asleep!... And you will love this... They EXEMPTED flight crews that work for UPS and FEDEX (truck drivers in the sky) because it would be too costly for the companies to lose the availability of those pilots... Jesus! the arrogance of these feds... I was not aware of these rule changes until today when I researched this. Even though I am retired, this pisses me off!
I'll never understand why some drivers want to skirt the rules that are put in place for our own safety. I can understand why going to bed somewhere when you're out of hours might be an inconvenience, but overall it's for a driver's own benefit and well being. Just do it, having an incident puts you totally at fault if you're illegal.

Interesting. As I said before I tried to use the 2 hr exemption to get back to at least a safe haven. Safety said no, goes against OD policy. I figured no problem, why fight it or get bent out of shape over it. Due to unforeseen weather or accidents, I’d tell them where I was going to shutdown. Never had a problem. Psst, don’t tell anyone but I’d always get paid my wait time, full rate. A baker’s dozen goes a long way for a certain dispatcher. Hahaha.
Oh, oh, Billy might know who I am talking about. There’s going to be a full investigation by the ODOT, DOJ, and whoever. Neither of us work there anymore so I guess we’re safe.
Yeah, I wasn't aware of the adverse weather increase in the HOS on 9/29/2020. BTW: there is no limit within the 70 hr rule as to how many times you can use this, either, as long as it was unknown to you at departure each time. I thought it was still 1 hr extra driving and 14 hr total. that I remember. 13 hrs driving and 16 hrs total on duty is just insane. Good for ODFL. 12 and 14 wore me out many times. Driving 13 and chaining/unchaining/ waiting for 16 is brutal. This will necessitate 2- 30 min breaks to be included within that 16 hr window as well. The last one could be required literally on the off ramp to the terminal, by the way, beginning at the 15.5 hr mark regardless of if the terminal is in sight or not.. This can't stand. It is ridiculous. I hope the dot/ fmcsa gets sued for this. There is no way this is safe. So does ODFL adhere to the old 12 hrs driving and 14 hr total weather exemption, or ignore it altogether?

Last edited:
I'll never understand why some drivers want to skirt the rules that are put in place for our own safety. I can understand why going to bed somewhere when you're out of hours might be an inconvenience, but overall it's for a driver's own benefit and well being. Just do it, having an incident puts you totally at fault if you're illegal.
Yes, but if flight crews aren't safe hauling passengers under the 16hr rule, how the hell are property carrying commercial truck drivers considered safe at 16 hrs, and UPS and FedEx pilots as well, for god's sake??

Weather & 2 hour return to terminal exemption are not allowed at OD and never have.Never ? why OD does what they do..We work for them and drive there equipment.If you don’t like it you are free to leave anytime.lol