Averitt | What do you Love about working here? What do you Hate about working here?

A old dislike surfaced since I have been on shuttle.
Miles to TIF 228 and I thought of the countless times I was paid 202 for exact same trip with TL freight.
I can think of no accepetable explanation for this blatant discrepancy which is all over the system.

Fair or not, the majority of TL carriers are paid practical miles verses actual. I'm not excusing it or saying it is fair, just a fact.

Miles to TIF 228 and I thought of the countless times I was paid 202 for exact same trip with TL freight.
I can think of no accepetable explanation for this blatant discrepancy which is all over the system.

You get out of T/L and are running shuttle,or did you transfer into combo?

Fair or not, the majority of TL carriers are paid practical miles verses actual. I'm not excusing it or saying it is fair, just a fact.
We know it isn't fair, but I never expected you to go as far as to say Averitt would ever be unfair about anything and you didn't let me down.

Very few companies pay "actual" miles anymore but I have had a job or two like that in the past. That consists of the driver recording his odometer reading before and after each trip. Both of the jobs still exist but they no longer pay that way. It was always known that certain drivers would take advantage by always taking the longest possible route and never leaving the interstate except when absolutely necessary to make delivery. As companies searched for ways to reduce operating costs the "actual" miles policy was eliminated and I can understand why.

And it's not always TL carriers that get the short end. There was a case in the early 80s when Roadway, at the time the largest union LTL carrier in existence, was shorting its drivers about 50 miles per trip on runs going south out of Cincinnati yard, which was located north of the bypass. Basically the miles started at the KY border.

Reminds me of going to FUL from the east, which is technically in the Atlanta city limits, depsite the fact it is west of I-285. Aproaching from the west, it is dead on.

The term "practical' miles is a generic term, and with the advent of computers there are a lot of programming options available. Not like the hold days when the infamous Household Goods Mileage Guide (HHG) was the go-to reference book, a gargantuan tome that made the Old Testament look like a short story.

But those days are gone and there are mileage guides that take truck routes/bypasses into account. There are companies that cut worse than others, but we are at the extreme short end of the stick.

Another dislike of mine. Combo drivers getting screwed by $0.045 per mile for doing the same thing the Shuttle drivers do. If all of the combo drivers that run linehaul stayed their a$$ at home one night the pay would be equalized within a day. But we know they would never stay home enmasse.

except for the area around ATL,99.9% of the shuttle miles I run are spot on. T/L is paid FAIRY TALE miles for T/L frt,you can bet the house,Avrt isn't pulling frt for those mileage rates..probally pulling for point to point.....or practical miles.....sure wish we would get paid PRACTICAL miles in T/L!

I don't hate it or love it but all I do is shake my head and chuckle when I read the following and articles like it. Averitt has bought into the farce that is "going green" and the equally silly fraud that is global warming which makes them look foolish.

PRESS RELEASE

Averitt recognized as ‘Top Green Supply Chain Partner’
Industry magazine selects carrier for sustainability leadership

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. (Nov. 27, 2012) – Thanks to its commitment to protecting the environment, Averitt Express was chosen as a “Green 75 Supply Chain Partner” by Inbound Logistics magazine. It’s the third straight year Averitt has been selected for the honor.

Inbound Logistics bases its Green Supply Chain Partners list on a company’s involvement in three areas: participation in public-private partnerships; corporate sustainability initiatives; and collaborative customer-driven projects. The magazine’s editors solicited more than 200 transportation and logistics companies to complete a questionnaire specifying their investments in sustainability — ranging from fuel-efficient equipment to corporate-sponsored recycling programs, and everything in between.

“In our industry, it’s vital that we maintain our focus on environmental stewardship and sustainability,” said Gary Sasser, Averitt's president and CEO. “We’re extremely honored to have been recognized by Inbound Logistics three years in a row for our ‘green’ efforts. The entire Averitt team takes great pride in continually finding new ways to be environmentally friendly.”

Over the past several years, Averitt has developed programs to educate and reward associates for improving their fuel efficiency. Averitt has awarded $90,000 in fuel cards, a Smart Fortwo city car, and a Ford F-150 4x4 truck.

A charter member of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s SmartWay program, Averitt has taken numerous steps to reduce its environmental impact, including:
Using only ULSD (ultra-low-sulfur diesel) at in-house fueling stations, helping reduce emissions of particulate matter and nitrogen oxides
Equipping road tractors with APUs (auxiliary power units) to maintain driver comfort and reduce fuel use through idling when parked for extended periods of time
Installing sophisticated electronic technology that gathers data from tractor engine computers to track and measure fuel efficiency
Equipping trucks with systems that automatically shut down idling engines
Using leading-edge software to plan routes as efficiently as possible and alert drivers to the most cost-effective fueling locations
Using Biodiesel in select markets
Using low-viscosity lubricants and engine oils that lower the frequency of maintenance service intervals, therefore producing fewer waste products
Providing numerous e-commerce solutions, such as electronic bills of lading, invoicing and various forms requests, in order to reduce and potentially eliminate paper use
Striving to maintain balance within distribution network to reduce empty miles, thus reducing emissions and fuel usage

Averitt's current SmartWay score is 1.25, which represents outstanding environmental performance, according to the EPA. Partners with this score are already utilizing most of the commercially available fuel saving strategies and are actively evaluating the latest emerging technologies.

To learn more about Averitt’s environmental responsibility, visit www.averittexpress.com/green.

I hate the way Averitt disrespects drivers
That's an awful "blanket" statement. Be more specific, like ______'s night time dispatcher cussed me like a dog, or told me to shut up and wait. I have had several members of management thank me for being early or on time with a hot load of freight, never have I had a service center, either home or away, speak to me in a disrespectful manner. Central has been "short" with me a few times, but that wasn't a big deal, I understood it was rush hour and the phones were going crazy. Anytime a driver is spoken to in a rude manner it needs to be reported to your immediate supervisor or at least on here, the more details the better. Corporate monitors this site.

There a FEW people I come in contact with during the course of my week...that I would love to strangle...I just deal with it.....as a individual driver you DO NOT have to put up with any disrespectful actions taken towards you...stop it as it occurs RESPECTFULLY!,then pass it on up the line.

That's an awful "blanket" statement. Be more specific, like ______'s night time dispatcher cussed me like a dog, or told me to shut up and wait. I have had several members of management thank me for being early or on time with a hot load of freight, never have I had a service center, either home or away, speak to me in a disrespectful manner. Central has been "short" with me a few times, but that wasn't a big deal, I understood it was rush hour and the phones were going crazy. Anytime a driver is spoken to in a rude manner it needs to be reported to your immediate supervisor or at least on here, the more details the better. Corporate monitors this site.

After a while you learn when and when not to call Central. 2130 at night and 0130-0230 is NOT the best times to call. They are busy with calls lined up like planes coming into ATL!

I saw al those NEW RACERS there last week.....whats a matter...your 2012 got the floor mat's dirty?:hysterical:

I know what I am going to be hating...ELECTRONIC LOGS. No longer can I use a crooked pencil. However, I don't think I will change how I operate though. Once all of the new racers are in place this will soon follow I am certain.

I wonder how long before they install dash cams with forward facing cameras AND cameras and mics that sit and spy on drivers like they are doing at Conway. Say something negative about the company you get canned. I will leave and hang it up if and when this happens!!! Just sayin'! I hear FedEx has forward facing cameras already but the driver cam and the mic has taken it WAY to far. Or maybe stick a piece of gum over the lens and the mic. That'll solve it!

The electronic logs are a good deal, will NEVER go back to paper. I don't care about the dash cams, I've been thinking about getting one my self. Take a look in the nose of the new trailers....
The reason Conway has them is that their drivers are EFFIN pricks to begin with.. Company wide....PRICKS!