SAIA | What does it take to be a TM?

Ten years ago guys were pencil whipping them anyway. Just like the guys that can’t even walk around their rig, much less inspect anything.

They were doing the same 30 yrs ago.
Some would not know a defect if it bit them in the butt.

If the previous driver wrote it up in the VIR, then that piece of equipment would be out of service. No one would be able to dispatch with it until it is fixed and put back in service.

If the previous driver wrote it up in the VIR, then that piece of equipment would be out of service. No one would be able to dispatch with it until it is fixed and put back in service.
That’s the point I keep trying to make. It falls back on the shop. Just do your pre-trip and if it’s all good then go. Don’t worry about it. It’s not your problem.

That’s not always the case. Not every entry is an oos status. Do you know when you put something in that the unit is oos afterwards? It doesn’t tell you. You can put a dent in the trailer roof entry and it’s knocked out though. I’ll give you an example of what happens at the smaller terminals. You put in a broken spring on the trailer or a suspension issue or whatever and it puts it oos. The shop and your tm deem it ok to travel and put it back in service without even so much as a mechanic look and the next driver takes off with it and knows nothing about it and has just certified it ok. Is that something that makes you comfortable? Not me. I want to know. Ive seen it happen many times because the freight has to move and there’s not 50 empty trailers to go grab another.

You put in a broken spring on the trailer or a suspension issue or whatever and it puts it oos. The shop and your tm deem it ok to travel and put it back in service without even so much as a mechanic look and the next driver takes off with it and knows nothing about it and has just certified it ok.
And you do a proper pre-trip and catch it and refuse to pull it. Then call safety and tell them what happened.

And you do a proper pre-trip and catch it and refuse to pull it. Then call safety and tell them what happened.

More importantly than nit picking this apart, because we all know the shyster ways of this company, I trust another driver more than those putting my life in jeopardy for financial gains and then playing the COA card.

Saia is so desperate for drivers that there hiring drivers without hazmat endorsement and with automatic shifting restrictions ( didn’t know this even existed) . Some are even picking there hours they can work. Good job on running qualified drivers to our neighbors and being “pro active “ as you call it. :clap:

I was told they are hiring right out of driving school for the city in Pennsylvania Terminals. Must be able obtain hazmat within 90 days of hire! . Supposedly riding with P&D trainer for a month? I don't know that for sure, just what I been told.:concern:

I was told they are hiring right out of driving school for the city in Pennsylvania Terminals. Must be able obtain hazmat within 90 days of hire! . Supposedly riding with P&D trainer for a month? I don't know that for sure, just what I been told.:concern:

I believe it, and yes on the 90 days. There really catering to these guys now with gravy city runs so they’ll stay. All hugs and kisses now. Quite the opposite when I started. Oh well, just doing my thing.

DOT hasn’t required anything for a few years assuming there are no defects. You only need documentation for defects. If you’re driving it, that, in essence, is your certification you pre tripped it.
You are correct I think this changed about 3-4 years ago