What have you lost from when you first started at Sysco

bigblk

TB Lurker
Credits
Just wondering what has gone by the wayside these last few years. We used to be able to get a new ball cap whenever needed or clipboard, no more clipboards and new hats very rarely now.

We used to have a nice annual company picnic. Quit that around 7 years ago. Use to go to some nice family entertainment venues, or they held it in the yard and had entertainment.

We still get a Turkey for Thanksgiving, and Half a spiral ham for Christmas. Steak and Eggs cooked for us on Christmas eve morning.

Have not noticed them doing the driver and warehouse rodeo in a few years. Never wanted to go to Houston, so I never competed.

Real load bars, hate using straps.

Basically have lost anything that costs them money.

No more hats, used to give us a hoodie or sweatshirt once a year too. Picnic gone, roadeo gone. Still get the Sysco turkey @ Thanksgiving but was really small this year. No hams for us here. Still do the Christmas breakfast, but I don't eat. Quit a couple if years back when our VP dishing up scrambled eggs said Merry Christmas, then had to pause to look down and read the name on my coat before addressing me by my name. I've been here for a LONG time. Don't care to know my name? Keep your eggs, I'll keep my dignity.
Can't forget about the pension, we lost 2 sick days, and an AWESOME HMO option on our health insurance.

We talk about this in our house... My husband has been with Sysco over 10 years, me only 2. Used to be drivers got coats when needed, gloves, and various logo laden items. Just the other day I was looking for a leatherman for my work bag and my husband pulled one out of his and handed it to me, it has a sysco logo and he's had it for years. We don't see things like that in this new generation of Management.

The signs about the rodeos are all over the warehouse.... years and years old. Funny how the conversation about how these things are important to company morale was part of my interview process, yet it is clear it doesn't matter at their level. Why should it? We still come in and do our jobs, and most of us will continue to do so.

This year we were told there was no money to give drivers the usual turkey for Thanksgiving, and Christmas bonus was supposed to be a sysco umbrella (really?) for each driver, but then we were told they didn't buy enough so none were given out; no bonus at all.

No more driver meetings quarterly, or yearly for that matter, which at least they used to make breakfast at. They did hold a company picnic last year and are supposed to this year, but they do it on Saturday while drivers are still out on the road; they put out memos to tell everyone to be sure to send their wives and kids even if they couldn't make it since they were working...??

We get uniform shirts, but have to barter for sweatshirts (which they say we are not allowed to wear on route) and buy our own shorts. I'm still wearing the coat given to me by my previous employer when I chain up the Sysco truck in the snow. It's disheartening to hear the things that Sysco used to do to take care of their drivers, especially in comparison to what they don't now.

Our pension is no longer top of the line like it was once, but it's still a pension, our health insurance costs little and is a great plan. That's what we fight for in our contract!

At least u still have a pension. No sweatshirt on the routes at my opco as long as it says sysco they do not care. We have lost a lot so the big boys can get there bonus.

Since I started working at Sysco, I've lost sleep, my dignity, my spare time, my healthy eating habits, my sobriety, my sanity, my ability to be insulted, and all my fears.