Yellow | What is YRC management giving up?

Everybody in management from Welch to the dock supervisors need to work for our hourly wage ($21) for the duration of the extension!

I can't just let this pass. I'm one of those 'stupidvisors' many of you seem to think are doing so great wage-wise.
So here are the facts from MY seat.

How about YOU pay $752 a month for health insurance? That's me and my wife, no kids. I have $20-35 copays, pay $10-70 per prescription.
I get NO sick paid days, if I'm gonna be sick, I have to use vacation days. No vacation days left? Unpaid illness, and subject to discharge.
Wanna work with no grievance procedure? Supv on opposite shift got fired for not placarding a trailer. His fault, he admitted it. Dockman that DIDN'T write up haz mat? Got a warning letter and laughed about it.
My pay cut was PERMANENT, no stock deposit in trust to offset the lost wages. Used to get profit sharing, pension and 401-k. No more. Pension froze, cost me over $100k if I make it to retirement. My $1950/month won't pay my insurance. Checking on Obamacare, maybe I can qualify as poor and get subsidies.

You guys got a promise of return to full wage. No promise for me, just plain told it ain't coming back.
50+ hours a week, walking the rock, no overtime, called in early for meetings. If I don't go along, I'm not a team player, have a bad attitude and subject to discharge.

I don't load a pound of freight, but its my fault if some knucklehead stacks the load bad, and gets a poor load report.

Company is gonna pay $40 million in claims, all loaded by professional dock handlers. Most of my guys are decent, but I can't watch 40 doors at once. But some guys don't care, and might do it on purpose. Just to play games. And those guys? Many brag about screwing the company out of their 15% lost wages. And its managements fault. Yea, sure.

No lunch breaks, lucky to get to pee, know everything about my area at all times. I catch a guy sleeping in a trailer, he gets a warning letter. Switcher sleeps in tractor, my dock gets all backed up, he gets a letter.ME? I get fired.

Few guys complaining about absenteeism. There is no issue with guys using vacation and paid sick days. Its the no-call, no-show guys. How do I move my freight on time, when 5 guys don't show up? How do I make up 40 hours in the next shift?
FMLA is a right protected by law. But what are the odds that Joe Sixpack needs FMLA on ONLY Fridays and/or Mondays? I gotta find someone else to work OT because the guys is off. Oh, and the company? Gotta keep extra guys on the payroll, paying bennies just to work wen when others call off. If ONLY we had to schedule around vacations and sick days. Life would be grand! No one faults someone who needs it and uses it. Others leave the house late, and to avoid wanring letter for absenteeism, claims 'migraines, can't work today'

How about the guy who is taking mom to doctor, funny thing is he took funeral leave for mom in the spring?

There are people that abuse everything, mgmt. and labor alike. Most folks are honest, hard working guys, trying to service the customer. The guy that moves 1 bill on hour and is insulted when 'watched' doesn't deserve being protected. Yet his 'brothers' protect the slacker along with the good guys. Thieves are protected too, 'everyone' knows who is stealing, But don't finger your 'brother', let the stupidvisor catch it.

Sorry, I had to rant. I'm sure there are plenty of big-wigs both in Overland Park, and the IBT that get WAY overpaid. Gee, even TDU writes about all the $150k members. You Teamsters can exercise a vote and vote them out. Me? I'm over 50 and hard to hire on somewhere else. I can only walk away.

One last thing, if you see supv or manager abusing their job, taking the 'company pickup' to lunch, taking supplies from work, running their personal business from YRC, using 'company gas' call it in to the hotline on the bulletin board. It pisses me off. I wasn't raised to abuse anything or take something that doesn't belong to me. I work hard, I sleep well at night. Oh, and I issue you a warning letter because you deserve it, doesn't mean I don't like you, or I'm picking on you. My shift is treated the same, as well as I can see. Can't be everywhere at once, so some things get missed.

But really, we are all a bunch of middle class workers, in the midst of a company in trouble. Doesn't do any good to try to re-write history. It is today, what it is. Stockholders and board of directors could have stopped it, but didn't. So what? Issue is whats facing the company TODAY.

At least YOU will have a chance to vote. I won't, but I gotta live with your decisions. And I will.

Thanks for what you do.

I can't just let this pass. I'm one of those 'stupidvisors' many of you seem to think are doing so great wage-wise.

How about YOU pay $752 a month for health insurance? That's me and my wife, no kids. I have $20-35 copays, pay $10-70 per prescription.
I get NO sick paid days, if I'm gonna be sick, I have to use vacation days. No vacation days left? Unpaid illness, and subject to discharge.
Wanna work with no grievance procedure? Supv on opposite shift got fired for not placarding a trailer. His fault, he admitted it. Dockman that DIDN'T write up haz mat? Got a warning letter and laughed about it.
My pay cut was PERMANENT, no stock deposit in trust to offset the lost wages. Used to get profit sharing, pension and 401-k. No more. Pension froze, cost me over $100k if I make it to retirement. My $1950/month won't pay my insurance. Checking on Obamacare, maybe I can qualify as poor and get subsidies.

You guys got a promise of return to full wage. No promise for me, just plain told it ain't coming back.
50+ hours a week, walking the rock, no overtime, called in early for meetings. If I don't go along, I'm not a team player, have a bad attitude and subject to discharge.

I don't load a pound of freight, but its my fault if some knucklehead stacks the load bad, and gets a poor load report.

Company is gonna pay $40 million in claims, all loaded by professional dock handlers. Most of my guys are decent, but I can't watch 40 doors at once. But some guys don't care, and might do it on purpose. Just to play games. And those guys? Many brag about screwing the company out of their 15% lost wages. And its managements fault. Yea, sure.

No lunch breaks, lucky to get to pee, know everything about my area at all times. I catch a guy sleeping in a trailer, he gets a warning letter. Switcher sleeps in tractor, my dock gets all backed up, he gets a letter.ME? I get fired.

Few guys complaining about absenteeism. There is no issue with guys using vacation and paid sick days. Its the no-call, no-show guys. How do I move my freight on time, when 5 guys don't show up? How do I make up 40 hours in the next shift?
FMLA is a right protected by law. But what are the odds that Joe Sixpack needs FMLA on ONLY Fridays and/or Mondays? I gotta find someone else to work OT because the guys is off. Oh, and the company? Gotta keep extra guys on the payroll, paying bennies just to work wen when others call off. If ONLY we had to schedule around vacations and sick days. Life would be grand! No one faults someone who needs it and uses it. Others leave the house late, and to avoid wanring letter for absenteeism, claims 'migraines, can't work today'

How about the guy who is taking mom to doctor, funny thing is he took funeral leave for mom in the spring?

There are people that abuse everything, mgmt. and labor alike. Most folks are honest, hard working guys, trying to service the customer. The guy that moves 1 bill on hour and is insulted when 'watched' doesn't deserve being protected. Yet his 'brothers' protect the slacker along with the good guys. Thieves are protected too, 'everyone' knows who is stealing, But don't finger your 'brother', let the stupidvisor catch it.

Sorry, I had to rant. I'm sure there are plenty of big-wigs both in Overland Park, and the IBT that get WAY overpaid. Gee, even TDU writes about all the $150k members. You Teamsters can exercise a vote and vote them out. Me? I'm over 50 and hard to hire on somewhere else. I can only walk away.

One last thing, if you see supv or manager abusing their job, taking the 'company pickup' to lunch, taking supplies from work, running their personal business from YRC, using 'company gas' call it in to the hotline on the bulletin board. It pisses me off. I wasn't raised to abuse anything or take something that doesn't belong to me. I work hard, I sleep well at night. Oh, and I issue you a warning letter because you deserve it, doesn't mean I don't like you, or I'm picking on you. My shift is treated the same, as well as I can see. Can't be everywhere at once, so some things get missed.

But really, we are all a bunch of middle class workers, in the midst of a company in trouble. Doesn't do any good to try to re-write history. It is today, what it is. Stockholders and board of directors could have stopped it, but didn't. So what? Issue is whats facing the company TODAY.

At least YOU will have a chance to vote. I won't, but I gotta live with your decisions. And I will.

Thanks for what you do.

Well said. I too was in your shoes and after recent years of frustration decided to move o.....and yes also over 50.

Thanks for what you do.

You could have joined the union and been a dock jockey, but I suspect you thought you were meant for better things. Most supervisors I deal with have egos the size of Texas and can't be reasoned with. A guy at our barn has been written up for taking his children to the doctor, even when he brought the doctors note. The guys wife works. Everybody knows it. They take turns taking their child to the doctor so neither one misses too much work and he is kicked in the nuts for it. Letters are given out for BS reasons. Here's an example. I was breaking a trailer and as I do before I get into my load I look through the bills to watch for volumes, drums, and such. I see I have a lot of frieght going to one particular location. It's all show frieght and crates of varying size and weight. I block off one of the doors and proceed to dock the freight because none of it was coming of together. At this point of the night I was one of three guys on my end if the dock so I wasn't blocking any lanes or anything. I was jet getting the frieght off and grouping it together so when I got it off I could go high and tight. All of a sudden the supervisor says he is going to write me up for double handling freight. WHAT? I tried to explain my plan but he said if I didn't go back to work I'd be relived of duty. Termination for arguing my point. So I call a job steward down and after he is all like WTF? The sup threatens to fire us both. So in the end I did it his way. I put freight in and when I came across a piece that would fit high a few rows up I back stripped the trailer and restacked it. I probably handled each piece four or five times, instead if the two he was pissed about. Management sux!!

One thing I can definitely agree to is they need to cut management. Cut a 100 positions- that's only 2 per state. I'm sure they can find 2 wasted positions per state. And at let's say 75k a year in total compensation average they would save 7.5 million per year......

Where I'm at they're training a new dispatcher, and were already over-loaded with too many useless supervisors.

You could have joined the union and been a dock jockey, but I suspect you thought you were meant for better things. Most supervisors I deal with have egos the size of Texas and can't be reasoned with. A guy at our barn has been written up for taking his children to the doctor, even when he brought the doctors note. The guys wife works. Everybody knows it. They take turns taking their child to the doctor so neither one misses too much work and he is kicked in the nuts for it. Letters are given out for BS reasons. Here's an example. I was breaking a trailer and as I do before I get into my load I look through the bills to watch for volumes, drums, and such. I see I have a lot of frieght going to one particular location. It's all show frieght and crates of varying size and weight. I block off one of the doors and proceed to dock the freight because none of it was coming of together. At this point of the night I was one of three guys on my end if the dock so I wasn't blocking any lanes or anything. I was jet getting the frieght off and grouping it together so when I got it off I could go high and tight. All of a sudden the supervisor says he is going to write me up for double handling freight. WHAT? I tried to explain my plan but he said if I didn't go back to work I'd be relived of duty. Termination for arguing my point. So I call a job steward down and after he is all like WTF? The sup threatens to fire us both. So in the end I did it his way. I put freight in and when I came across a piece that would fit high a few rows up I back stripped the trailer and restacked it. I probably handled each piece four or five times, instead if the two he was pissed about. Management sux!!

I agree with you about the double handlig situation....that stems fro UPPER managements goal of 80% crossdock WOF. However, I disagree with you over your coworkers absentism letter. The fact that he had to take his kids to the doctor is irrellavant. ....thats what sick days are for. Burned em up playing....letter.

Thanks for what you do.

Boo hoo. Sign a card. This pig closes its because of management. We already gave $1 billion in concessions. Where did that go? 80, 000 shipments per day won't just dissapear. It will still need to be hauled by drivers. There will be no need for more clipboard monkeys and that's why you are worried. After all the coo's, layoffs, chicken sheet letters, harassment, you make a first post with a sob story? Boo hoo.

I agree with you about the double handlig situation....that stems fro UPPER managements goal of 80% crossdock WOF. However, I disagree with you over your coworkers absentism letter. The fact that he had to take his kids to the doctor is irrellavant. ....thats what sick days are for. Burned em up playing....letter.

Nice assumption. Typical bs management.

re: theft-mechanics repairing manager vehicle on company time? working on his house/remodeling/installing cabinets on company time-theft? these things went on endlessly. trucks diverted so that managers could remove freight. ordered to sit in a trailer while sups loaded their own personal vehicles, labor and management cooperation to steal tvs. sex on the job while we watched the store. it goes on and on. the petty theft was open and ongoing. the good news- the cheaters/ thieves and sex hounds have left. we have overpaid lazies in several jobs, but they only steal time. the big thieves on the labor side are usually the rats too, not always. unlimited theft is form of rat compensation, the thieves were all known, but they all knew management theft/thieves as well, so it is/was mexican standoff. we still have every possible contigency exercised, even creating runaround, to have a thief work unsupervised. once, a personel director was even caught assembling bicycles out of the freight for his kids, when a teamster returned to get his eyeglasses off his lift. nothing is done. i have been searched 60-120 times and I don't steal, the thief can walk right by unchecked while i am emptying my pockets/lunchbox/etc. the guy used to go out stuffed like the michelin man, best ever-he had a case of cigarettes on his shoulder going to his car. talked to atm in the yard on the way over. not even questioned. there is ample dirt, even some ongoing-we need to control costs 24-7, not just in the last 3 weeks, and we are already losing our discipline with that.

fmla would save lots of time and pencil

he had a child die earlier in the year. ate up all his "sick time" then, but I guess he should have just came on into work after burying his child.

he had a child die earlier in the year. ate up all his "sick time" then, but I guess he should have just came on into work after burying his child.

He should have thought of the freight that needed to be moved, right TOM!

not starting a us against them thread .At roadway they used to say how they were a family friendly company .Truth be told they never were and its gone down hill since then

not starting a us against them thread .At roadway they used to say how they were a family friendly company .Truth be told they never were and its gone down hill since then

No company is "mommy and/or daddy". Granted some are better than others toward their workers, but they are first and foremost businesses, existing to make a profit. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

I did say " they used to say how they were a family friendly company " that was party of their dog and pony show during hiring

I did say " they used to say how they were a family friendly company " that was party of their dog and pony show during hiring

My comment wasn't directed at you longblade. I worked for a terrific "family friendly" Teamster company years ago, but they were still a business and looking out for the bottom line first.

PS - The "family friendly" aspect diminished when the sons and nephews of the founders took over. Gee, what a surprise! :smile:

Then he has a legit reason for FMLA (which is widely abused) situations like that are exactly the reason it was enacted.

We cant be nice guys or family freindly and arbitrarily decide who has a good reason for being UE and who does not. . If we do and the absentism issue escalates to commitee....it will get thrown out on the grounds of favoritism.

Then he has a legit reason for FMLA (which is widely abused) situations like that are exactly the reason it was enacted.

We cant be nice guys or family freindly and arbitrarily decide who has a good reason for being UE and who does not. . If we do and the absentism issue escalates to commitee....it will get thrown out on the grounds of favoritism.

I agree with you 110%, but favoritism is rampant at my barn. If one guys misses every Monday because he doesn't want to go to the city I don't want a letter for taking my kids to the doctor. Also, our work rules state if you bring a doctors note it is excused. I want every Teamster treated exactly the same, whether they break one bill an hour our thirty, but it just ain't happening. Favoritism and **** poor management have turned my barn into a hellish place to work.

I agree with you 110%, but favoritism is rampant at my barn. If one guys misses every Monday because he doesn't want to go to the city I don't want a letter for taking my kids to the doctor. Also, our work rules state if you bring a doctors note it is excused. I want every Teamster treated exactly the same, whether they break one bill an hour our thirty, but it just ain't happening. Favoritism and **** poor management have turned my barn into a hellish place to work.

My response to would be why should everyone be treated equally when it comes to discipline etc....yet they should not be expected to perform equally. Hey you're not breaking so & so from talking.....but you are telling me to stop....They are running 7 bills an hour....apparently they have time to chat.