What to do when you see a deer.

Deer-related car crashes, including wrecks involving elk and moose, are up almost six percent compared to last year's deer season, according to the report by State Farm Insurance.

State Farm advises motorists to be aware of "Deer crossing" signs. Drivers should also use high-beam headlights as much as possible and be aware that deer tend to travel in packs. Where there is one, more are probably close behind.

"Deer whistles," devices that attach to the vehicles' front bumpers, have been shown to be ineffective, State Farm said.

Some states have far more deer collisions than others. According to State Farm's claim statistics.

Worst states for auto-deer crashes
1. Pennsylvania
2. Michigan
3. Illinois
4. Ohio
5. Georgia
6. Virginia
7. Minnesota
8. Texas
9. Indiana
10. South Carolina

do NOT EVER swerve to avoid animals on the road

Good advice!

Also, if you happen to hit a dog, its the law in many states to report it, but I think that only applies to non-freeway driving.

BTW, if the animal is on the freeway, I won't move, I will just slow down as much as I can before impact.

So far no deer or dogs ever hit, counting my lucky stars.

Never Swerve........

I've hit 1,and have run over a still living 1 after it had just been hit,it was'nt living after i ran it over.

I usually :smilie_132: at it or them. I only ever see them on the sides of Highways or as Flat Landers after many times reduced.
I've come over a small hill whilst in a Combo in WV on N. B. I-77 near the eighteen yard line rolling about 70 in the center lane and saw a 5 point or so Buck just standing, yet I slammed the Horn and flashed the Lights and it made for the Hills. That was either in late '99 or early '00.

my opinion is if they're moving slow down if you have the chance (boy that is a bunch of worthless wisdom, huh?) but if they're just grazing or standing by the road, I don't even back out of it, much less hit the horn. the horn will surely startle them into moving & I think even the change of tone in your stacks could make them move, it sure makes them look up (at least with straights); if they not moving my way, I figure they're just watching me ride by.

I nearly hit a 2 deer today in my car.
I was driving through a wooded area scanning around like I usually do, suddenly these two deer jumped out of the woods. Must have been a 15 foot jump right into my path.
I slammed on the brakes and just nicked the SOB. No damage found.
I had lots of grassy mud on my hood from them hauling there butts off to cross the street.

No matter how much you try to avoid them, they always seem to get you when you least expect it.

I drive mostly at night. If I see them I get off the fuel and pump my brakes two or three times real quick. The hissing sound scares them away from the truck. Works like a charm. One day I had made a local pickup while it was still light out and when I pulled onto the two lane road there were five deer standing and grazing along the edge of the road. No other cars were around and I pumped the brakes and they ran like hell away from the truck.

I drive mostly at night. If I see them I get off the fuel and pump my brakes two or three times real quick. The hissing sound scares them away from the truck. Works like a charm. One day I had made a local pickup while it was still light out and when I pulled onto the two lane road there were five deer standing and grazing along the edge of the road. No other cars were around and I pumped the brakes and they ran like hell away from the truck.

That technique works great for Canadian Geese crossing the road. I also slow a bit and rev up the engine on those wanna-be pigeons.

Kan.,MO.heres another tragic example of a death due to swerving out of the way of a Deer.
Woman Dies When Van Swerves To Miss Deer - Kansas City News Story - KMBC Kansas City

From the Article:
When driving at night use high-beams when there is no oncoming traffic, as they are more likely to reveal a deer's eyes.
--Doesn't this idea also stun the Deer because of the Brightness?--
This idea as well might be ONE REASON there are soooo many drivers in cars AND Trucks that constantly have their Bright Lights on!!

The idea is to hit them hard enough to kill them but not make hamburger out of them, or stun them real good and then shoot them. You will go home a big game huntin hero and not have to sit in an uncomfortable treestand, buy deer corn, and wait for the animal to happen by. Coon or possum, now thats huntin, none of that sittin around waiting for something to come to you, where is the spirit in that, people sure are proud of it though..there I go throwin my opinion around, if only I could profit from it...LOL

Thats why here in Texas we have Ranch Hand Bumpers.Even on our Limos.

Heres a driver in PA.,being hurt swerving to miss a deer,he rolled his pickup,after bouncing off a semi.

If he thought to stay straight,and flashed his headlights on,and off I probably wouldn't be posting this crash report.