What to do when you see a deer.

One more trucker trashes his semi unit rolling over,to save a deers life.

I'm happy to say the report says nobody was hurt.
I wonder if this truckers boss will hurt him when he finds out he dumped his load,and wreaked his equipment to avoild injury to an animal?
Truck driver avoids deer but flips his rig -- dailypress.com

Thats a good question for any driver: when will I ditch a rig?

My POV:

Human=YES

Animal=NO

Try to avoid either, if possible without much danger: Always

Did anyone happen to see that large doe sitting calmly in the westbound hammer lane on the Indiana Tollroad yesterday morning? As I drove by on the east side I saw a bear walking from his car with a large shotgun. Apparently the deer was hit in the hind.

ohhhhhh I hit 3 out of 5 deer one night on US 35 at the WV Ohio line a few years ago. Came around that last turn right before the four lane and there they were in the middle of the road. Slowed down, flashed the lights, honked the horn, two of them made it off the road, the other 3 got startled to much and when they tried to run their hoofs slid and they fell. Fur flying everywhere but those three just layed down so I wouldn't mess up my truck. I pulled over and was like, no way, that didn't just happen. Another driver pulled over behind me and he asked how bad my truck was hurt and he looked and couldn't believe it, not a scratch anywhere, had some fur on the bumper though.

Casper

and yes, we moved the three dead deer outta the road.

its not the deer that bother me its the moose.years back i use to run logs from maine up in to quebec.i hit a 815lb moose in jackman maine.it was like hitting a big rock in the road.riped the front spring shackles off the frame totaled the truck the hood came through the wind shield.it was like 5 or 10 deg out wind blowing up my butt middle of nowhere.i bought a big bumper and grill guard for my next truck.i have had deer come running out of the woods and hit the side of the truck or jump in front of the truck and stop.i even had a dewypile truck bounce one into me.them large animals are dangerous lets go hunting and thin them out.

I have had them run into the side of my vehicle when I slowed down. Since that I had sped up and they missed hitting me but never swerved. Also if I see one and its safe to do so come to a stop or slow way down and 2-3 more likely to follow.

After years of running through the East Texas woods, I finally had a deer jump in front of me. I did what everyone said to do, I didn't try to evade, I just hit it and that little sucker tore out a coolant line which left me on the side of the road for 5hrs. The last I saw of that little bas%%d was him skidding out from under the tractor, after I had started to brake, and then him shooting me the hoof from the other side of the road.:censored2:

I was in a bright orange car one time at a stop sign at 430am .A deer ran right into the door. Woke me up . There was just a little dent by the key hole . But let me tell you it scared me !

Hit one about 6 years ago on the PA turn pike,I was bobtail at the time,going 65mph.He did like OJ zig,zag,did not slow down,run him over,good thing I was in a old fright liner ,just push in D/S bumper.The shop just replace the bumper,always was told to run them over .

Yes driver you are correct,hit them straight on swerving into traffic on your left or onto the shoulder of the road may cause a very bad crash.
In that case don't think the authorities are going to blame the deer.
No sir you will take the total blame for swerving out of your lane.

I had a trainer tell me to try and take a deer with the RF bumper to avoid hitting a deer into traffic. I was wondering where he thought the LF bumper was going to be in that situation? For me, I hadn't thought about the lights or air brake noise, but I like to leave the jake on, thinking that might help to scare 'em off a bit.
I-94 in Michigan is like a freakin' warzone.

One of my former co-workers from Overnite when UPS Freight was still Overnite that is.
Well he transfered from upstate NY terminal down to FT Meyers FL.
He told me you think the deer running across the roads in NY are bad.
They got wild pigs down if Florida,and if you hit one of those it is like hitting stone wall.
Well that is something I'd just have to take his word for.

But either way nothing is totally your fault until you go out of your lane of travel into traffic when you don't have the room to do that.
Or running off the side of the road which could be a lot lower than the road surface,or softer,causing a rollover.

About a car,head on I mean,what do you do, I held my lane.Car went off the right side of the road,just missed my tractor&trailer lucky not much weight or a set of pups.

Command decisions...

About a car,head on I mean,what do you do, I held my lane.Car went off the right side of the road,just missed my tractor&trailer lucky not much weight or a set of pups.

That is when you instantly decide to defecate, vomit, or ejaculate....

Hit level, no highs or lows....

Apostolic,

Them that have done it told me to hit a cow or deer head on.

Never hit a hog-He will go under the bumper (older tractors) and
raise your steer axle off the ground/knock it loose and you loose
steerage.

Never hit a horse or mule - They are high enough to take the hit
flip right up over the hood to your lap. (Elk-Moose ?????)

(These were on the old equipment - Lower and shorter -Now some
of the "hoods" are long enough with front bumpers sweeping the
paint off the lines it might not apply.)