What to do when you see a deer.

My advice, when your driving in a truck, hit 'em hard. If you hit the deer and wreck the truck, it is a non-preventable accident. No problem. If you hit the ditch to avoid the deer, it is preventable, and as far as the company is concerned, your fault. Even if there was little damage to equipment.

i hit a deer once, those f`ers come out of nowhere, if you can see them beforehand your very lucky, and can slow down. but the ones that get hit are running through the trees and just pop out right in front of you, they dont stop to check traffic

I just came across this very wierd deer story,and thought I'd bring it over to this thread.
Deer leap to death from overpass | The Journal Gazette

Witnessed one like that in Indiana. Had kust grabbed 74 East off of 465 and about a mile ahead I see something falling from the bridge, a lot of black smoke and brake lights. Eas it up there. Two deer had jumped off the bridge into the EB lanes one was down in the median and gone, the other was laying down on the zipper but had its head up. The big truck that had smoked all 18 was in the right lane still getting checking his shorts so I eased to the left lane and very carefully drove around Bambi's legs. When my steer axle had just passed him, he stood up, ran next to me for 50 feet or so, and then cut in front of me, across the median and the WB lanes and into the woods.

I hit one on I-94 in Michigan last year and I swear there wasn't anything bigger than a hamburger left of the poor thing and I was only going about 60. It was just the way I hit it I guess but there was a huge blood spot that took almost two lanes, small body pieces from bumper to the tandems. It was like the thing went through a meat grinder. The amazing thing was it only bent the bumper back and nothing else was damaged.

I do have a correction from the original post:

"DO NOT swerve to miss it"

should say "DO NOT swerve to miss it or to hit it" for those of you down south :biglaugh:

CA.Heres an example of a guy swerving to avoid a deer in the road.
This pickup driver found himself going over a 20 foot embankment.
Deer Blamed For Highway 49 Crash - Sacramento Traffic News Story - KCRA Sacramento

21147919_640X480.jpg

I agree with most,slow down as much as you can if you have time.
But not so fast where some other vehicle is going to ram you in the tail.
Take dead aim at the animal if it is in your lane then hold on to your dentures.

Swerving is the worst plan,stay in your lane at all cost,and you should get a pass on whatever the results turn out to be.

Deer are running around the fall months so this time of year it is not if you see one or more deer but when,and where you are going to see them.

Had one standing in the middle the I78 last night,I was going down an hill around 65.Seen his white eye balls,moved my set over into left lane and slowed down some.The sucker ran back into the woods.This happen very fast,I had room to move over,3 lane high way around 3am.

Did anyone happen to see that large doe sitting calmly in the westbound hammer lane on the Indiana Tollroad yesterday morning? As I drove by on the east side I saw a bear walking from his car with a large shotgun. Apparently the deer was hit in the hind.
Dang what kind of Bear is that.Got a car and a shotgun.Most bears kill with their teeth and paws.:biglaugh:

I don't know why you have to have a license to shoot them and can only hunt during certain times of the year. Its not like there endangered. They are a menace to society and should be treated as such. The only good deer is the deer in my sausage.

Have you hit or almost hit a deer? Majority of the time it's because the deer jumps out in front of us out of nowhere.
Motorists should always be vigilant for deer and other animals crossing in front of them.

[list type=decimal]
[*]You can slow down as safely as you can, sound your horn to scare the deer away from the road. It's still possible you may hit it.

[*]Quickly scan for more deer. Deer travel in groups; others may be nearby, but out of view.

[*]DO NOT swerve to miss it, this only makes it worse for you and your vehicle. Just head straight and hit the deer, DO NOT swerve! The saying is "It's better to hit the deer, then to swerve and cause more damage"

[*]If you decide to swerve to miss it, especially if your near road banks, there's a big possibility that you could roll your vehicle,hurt yourself or cause a fatality. The Center for Disease Control reports that one half of motorist fatalities related to deer strikes result from the driver swerving to avoid the deer.

[*]Be more alert in areas of deer-crossing highway signs. These warning signs indicate locations of frequent deer crossings.
[/LIST]

Deer hit by cop doing 90-95 mph! This deer comes out of the right so fast! pause the video to see.

Cop Unloads in an Injured Deer This is probably how they die after being hit. It really had no where to run. We just never see it. I'm not even sure the officer shot it. The videographers were silly at the end.

Do any Truckingboard members have any stories,pictures or videos to share???

Remember, that is the same reprecaution that drivers need to take when they see a moose too.

I drive straight through them don't swerve for them or anything. I would rather replace a hood or some fairings than end up in a pine box because I swerved for the thing!!

[quote author=Dockworker link=topic=40970.msg390039#msg390039 date=1217725057]
Have you hit or almost hit a deer? Majority of the time it's because the deer jumps out in front of us out of nowhere.
Motorists should always..............

Not in our Country.
Have you ever heard from Gulash?
It's a Hungarian Dish.Very Spicy :hyper:

[quote author=outofworkjoe link=topic=40970.msg733456#msg733456 date=1256070785]
Had one standing in the middle the I78 last night,I was going down an hill around 65.Seen his white eye balls,moved my set over into left lane and slowed down some.The sucker ran back into the woods.This happen very fast,I had room to move over,3 lane high way around 3am.
[/quote]

Just,....
Don't follow them.Yes? You don't do that. Not even in the Recession.
Recovery of a truck from the Bushes is expensive.
OK?