ABF | What to expect as new hire?

snowbird

TB Lurker
Credits
Saw a posting for city driver. Can you guys give me some insight as to what to expect as a new hire? Will I be on call? Will I have irregular schedules like working days and nights? Will there be some weeks when I don't even have 40 hours? The benefits really do interest me. This particular terminal I see the posting for is in MA and has 25 drivers if that matters. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

Saw a posting for city driver. Can you guys give me some insight as to what to expect as a new hire? Will I be on call? Will I have irregular schedules like working days and nights? Will there be some weeks when I don't even have 40 hours? The benefits really do interest me. This particular terminal I see the posting for is in MA and has 25 drivers if that matters. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.
Your best bet is to call the terminal and talk to the manager. In my case I have never been laid off at ABF, but I have seen it with guys after me, it's all about the situation when you get hired. The benefits are very good. Good Luck to you.

Yep everything you said sums up the job in a nutshell. First thing I'd ask is if it's a 7 day barn. Remember LTL is 24/7 so basically you can expect there to be a shift that covers every hour of everyday. Expect to be on call, 2 hour call window. While I was there I worked everything from midnight start on a Saturday to 4pm start Wednesday to 9am start Monday. They can't do anything too crazy cause you need your 10 hours rest, but it can get pretty ridiculous at times. Don't expect to work everyday when it's slow...3 punches in a 7 day period is considered full time. Lots of dock work and liftgate freight that you'll wonder how you're possibly going to deliver by yourself.

If you can deal with the above I'd say it's a decent job. My terminal was really laid back, decent management. The union isn't for everyone but the benefits and job security are tough to beat.

You def. want to ask up front exactly what your work schedule will look like. But my advice, if you can get it in your head to just do whatever it takes to get the job, put up with the crap you have to til you get some seniority, and you will reap the rewards of a great union job.
I didn't exactly like the night work, dock work, fueling trucks, jockeying trailers that was part of working in freight . But I sure enjoyed the pay, benefits , and pension of my Teamster job. Especially now that I'm collecting a pension at 58 !
Working in union freight is tough, but the best decision I ever made.
Good luck to you.

New guys come in the morning leave when you want Fridays are optional

Hey drivers, I got hired on for a city driver but on the driver development program early July. The hiring process took to this week. When I interviewed they were very short on guys at my barn but in the last month they found some guys that have their licenses. So now they don’t want me to do city instead their plan is having me take doubles back and forth from my barn and Carlisle with a lot of dock work in Carlisle on overnights. They still need at least 2 city guys but they’re not even considering me but they want me to a be glorified forklift driver in Carlisle. Need to start somewhere no doubt but I was wondering if you veterans think I still should pursue a career with ABF?

Hey drivers, I got hired on for a city driver but on the driver development program early July. The hiring process took to this week. When I interviewed they were very short on guys at my barn but in the last month they found some guys that have their licenses. So now they don’t want me to do city instead their plan is having me take doubles back and forth from my barn and Carlisle with a lot of dock work in Carlisle on overnights. They still need at least 2 city guys but they’re not even considering me but they want me to a be glorified forklift driver in Carlisle. Need to start somewhere no doubt but I was wondering if you veterans think I still should pursue a career with ABF?
Sounds like you are going to be a UE. Utility Employee. I’ve been a UE for the las 13 years. It’s not a bad deal. If you are new to this industry this will be great experience. At least you will be home every day. Once you get some seniority then maybe bump into the city, if that’s what you are looking for. Good luck and welcome to the company.

If that is what they want you to do you will be a city driver with seniority over the next hire,Go for it!!

Think you need to consider the overnights lifestyle. It works for some but it's something your body will never adjust to. If you want to work in the city just about any LTL will hire you into their version of a training program. All really depends on your personal situation and the hours you want to work.

Think you need to consider the overnights lifestyle. It works for some but it's something your body will never adjust to. If you want to work in the city just about any LTL will hire you into their version of a training program. All really depends on your personal situation and the hours you want to work.
I’m scared to death about overnights but on the other hand I want to see if I can handle linehaul hours and chase some big money.

I’m scared to death about overnights but on the other hand I want to see if I can handle linehaul hours and chase some big money.
Give it a shot, most of the guys at Carlisle will work with you, and teach you the in's and out's. Also keep in mine, that job is classified as a UE , so that means and extra dollar an hour. I ran UE both Carlisle and New Haven Ct, for 14 yrs before retiring. Just take your time, work with the guys and you'll be fine. True it takes some time to get used to the hours ( well your body never fully gets used to it) so give it at least a month before, throwing in the towel.

If you want to run linehaul remember that abf is not a home every night deal. The UE deal obviously is but that's mostly dock work. True abf linehaul shouldn't be any dock work but you'll be in a hotel every night until you can gain some seniority and get a turn.

Again depends what your preference is. Wanna be home every night? Don't mind working the dock or just want to drive? If you're willing to put in the hours plenty of money can be made in the city and you can sleep at a normal time. We've got city guys clearing 100k without a problem.

If you want to run linehaul remember that abf is not a home every night deal. The UE deal obviously is but that's mostly dock work. True abf linehaul shouldn't be any dock work but you'll be in a hotel every night until you can gain some seniority and get a turn.

Again depends what your preference is. Wanna be home every night? Don't mind working the dock or just want to drive? If you're willing to put in the hours plenty of money can be made in the city and you can sleep at a normal time. We've got city guys clearing 100k without a problem.
Motel. Big difference between hotel and motel.