Yellow | Whatever happened to Article 61 section 1

Teamster24

TB Lurker
Credits
Hello everyone, we have been trying to get some answers for our members on this Western region attendance policy. For some reason we can't get a copy of it. If anyone is knowledgeable on it could you please post a copy of it or share your knowledge with us.We would like to know about valid doctor slips and any time off due to injury or illness, do they count against you in the progression(s)?

Whatever happened to Article 61 Section 1.," An employee who misses work as a result of a bona fide illness or off-the-job injury must substantiate such bona fide illness or accident by presenting a doctor's certificate to the Employer prior to his scheduled starting time on the day on which he returns to work. This shall apply to brief as well as extended periods of absence.

If anyone has a copy, fax it to me at the number below and I will get this posted
All return phone numbers in the header will be removed before it is posted as with everything we post here
24/7/365 Truckingboards Fax and Voice mail (206) 309-7406

I can't speak to YRC's policy but if it falls under FMLA you can't be disciplined for it. For FMLA you must visit a doctor and receive a follow up visit or a prescription I believe.

Worked under it before I retired.
A valid Dr. slip will stop the progression. Had a few that wrote their own so some will be verified....
You will see that 95 % of the people have no trouble with this. And also after a few weeks it will be the same people in trouble all the time.
Through my experience as steward found a direct correlation between those that hit the boooze heavy and drugs along with DIVORCE
Absence and Leave early are one and the same. 3 of any of these within a 30 running day calender will secure you a LETTER.
. But after the Letter you can do it all over again but do not get the third day in 30 or you will get suspended usually only 1 day
After your suspension your good to go again but cross the 3 in 30 day line and your FIRED............
Most will get their job back at the first hearing after that your rolling the dice.......
If your injured off the job and can not work the company may go through the motions but you will have to have Dr. note .
Had one man with a heart attack and another in head on collision never bothered them.
Tardiness is in its own little file.
No call no show LETTER
Late call off LETTER

Last edited by a moderator:
With this absenteeism thing.Is corporate afraid we wont show up for work.I guess they want you in so they can continue to steal from us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

This is what we are being told, I pulled this off of Local 492 webpage. It is stating that,"Committees may consider timely, bona fide, verifiable doctors excuses in determining the validity of disciplinary action." and that the progression runs with our period for discipline which in the Central Region is 9 months.

National Uniform Attendance Policy
All Regions and Supplements of the NMFA
The parties agree that the purpose of attendance disciplinary action is to correct an employee’s behavior. Continued disregard of attendance obligation will result in discharge if the employee fails to change the behavior.
Disciplinary Progressions for Absenteeism or Tardiness:
First Offense: Verbal Warning
Second Offense: Warning Letter
Third Offense: One (1) Day Suspension
Fourth Offense: Three (3) Day Suspension
Fifth Offense: Discharge
Progressions will be followed in all instances unless extraordinary circumstances dictate an accelerated or decelerated progression. Examples of an accelerated progression would be No Call/No Shows or blatant abuse of time off. An example of decelerated progression would be a long time period between absences.
Discipline may be issued on all unexcused absences. Committees may consider timely, bona fide, verifiable doctors excuses in determining the validity of disciplinary action.
Proper communication on all absences is the employee’s responsibility.
The Employer may discharge an employee who has received two letters of suspension as long as the letters resulted in agreed to or a committee’s action discipline.

This is what we are being told, I pulled this off of Local 492 webpage. It is stating that,"Committees may consider timely, bona fide, verifiable doctors excuses in determining the validity of disciplinary action." and that the progression runs with our period for discipline which in the Central Region is 9 months.

National Uniform Attendance Policy
All Regions and Supplements of the NMFA
The parties agree that the purpose of attendance disciplinary action is to correct an employee’s behavior. Continued disregard of attendance obligation will result in discharge if the employee fails to change the behavior.
Disciplinary Progressions for Absenteeism or Tardiness:
First Offense: Verbal Warning
Second Offense: Warning Letter
Third Offense: One (1) Day Suspension
Fourth Offense: Three (3) Day Suspension
Fifth Offense: Discharge
Progressions will be followed in all instances unless extraordinary circumstances dictate an accelerated or decelerated progression. Examples of an accelerated progression would be No Call/No Shows or blatant abuse of time off. An example of decelerated progression would be a long time period between absences.
Discipline may be issued on all unexcused absences. Committees may consider timely, bona fide, verifiable doctors excuses in determining the validity of disciplinary action.
Proper communication on all absences is the employee’s responsibility.
The Employer may discharge an employee who has received two letters of suspension as long as the letters resulted in agreed to or a committee’s action discipline.
Has refusal to work OT ever been used as a violation of this policy?
Is OT refusal considered an unexcused absence?

Has refusal to work OT ever been used as a violation of this policy?
Is OT refusal considered an unexcused absence?
If one sign’s the daily ‘off on 8’ request list, he/she may be forced to work 2 hrs beyond shift, (3 hours on close out) if notified by last break, 6th hour. If no ‘off on 8’ request is made, they own you until 10 hours before next shift; unless relieved by a Junior. (Or 60 hour violation is imminent)

Even if one is violated by being forced to OT, abandoning work is a fireable offense.

<snip>

Even if one is violated by being forced to OT, abandoning work is a fireable offense.

I'm not so sure about that El, unless that is specifically spelled out in your particular supplement. "Abandoning work" was never one of the contractually documented reasons for immediate dismissal in any contract I've ever read. And neither was "refusing a work assignment". You can ask me privately how I know that. :smile new:

I'm not so sure about that El, unless that is specifically spelled out in your particular supplement. "Abandoning work" was never one of the contractually documented reasons for immediate dismissal in any contract I've ever read. And neither was "refusing a work assignment". You can ask me privately how I know that. :smile new:
It’s in our supplement. All of my experience is with local dock and p&d. I haven’t seen the company succeed in termination, but I have seen it enforced with a suspension imposed.

If one sign’s the daily ‘off on 8’ request list, he/she may be forced to work 2 hrs beyond shift, (3 hours on close out) if notified by last break, 6th hour. If no ‘off on 8’ request is made, they own you until 10 hours before next shift; unless relieved by a Junior. (Or 60 hour violation is imminent)

With my truck speed, they never force me on OT. I’m on it daily.

It’s in our supplement. All of my experience is with local dock and p&d. I haven’t seen the company succeed in termination, but I have seen it enforced with a suspension imposed.
Suspension or other discipline absolutely, but immediate discharge I doubt. That's not one of the contractual reasons for immediate discharge AFAIK.

It falls under ‘refusal to follow a direct work order.’
That's insubordination. Calls for discipline absolutely, immediate discharge no, not for the first instance anyway. It's not one of the contractually stipulated reasons for immediate discharge (unless it is specifically stated in your supplement). Repeated instances of course is another thing. Under civil law, any arbitrator decision must absolutely follow the contract. If not it can be overturned in civil court. Believe me, been there, done that. :smile new: