ADuiePyle | What's Line-Haul W/ADP like?

Hub-City

TB Lurker
Credits
Any of you ADP line haul drivers care to share your experiences? I am contemplating applying and would like to hear some comment. Thanks.

Any of you ADP line haul drivers care to share your experiences? I am contemplating applying and would like to hear some comment. Thanks.

Not to butt in but what happened to that heavy equipment gig you were talking about? That sounded like a sweet deal, not to mention a sweet truck!!

Did not happen!

Hey GT.
Ya, I missed that one: Seems the driver whom I was to replace reconsidered his position and decided to continue working there.

Right now I'm working casual a few days a week for a contract agency. It's interesting as I've been to fish processing plants, paperboard factories, downtown boston moving flatbeds around and even to Brooklyn once! The hardest part is remembering what frickin tractor I'm in that particular day: 8-9 or a 10 speed!
All-in-all, I enjoy the work. Just looking for something steady, not ball-breaking and a rig I can call my "own". Slip-seating with pigs is not my thing!

Nice to hear from you!

Hey GT.
Ya, I missed that one: Seems the driver whom I was to replace reconsidered his position and decided to continue working there.

Right now I'm working casual a few days a week for a contract agency. It's interesting as I've been to fish processing plants, paperboard factories, downtown boston moving flatbeds around and even to Brooklyn once! The hardest part is remembering what frickin tractor I'm in that particular day: 8-9 or a 10 speed!
All-in-all, I enjoy the work. Just looking for something steady, not ball-breaking and a rig I can call my "own". Slip-seating with pigs is not my thing!

Nice to hear from you!

Hey good to hear from you too!! I understand the pig thing, I still don't have my own tractor, we have a few pigs here, I would hate to see how they live at home, I hope you can get on with ADP, I hear they are a good company, the wife delt with them when she worked for SEFL, they partnered with ADP for the northeast, her words were "they are wonderful", hopefully a driving job with them will be too, I'm pulling for you!!

First Hand Reference

Hearing from your wife firsthand that ADP is a good place is probably the best reference one needs make an informed decision. I've read forum "reviews" and they seem to be long on good and short on gripes! Your wifes' testimony lends credibility to this.

They have a terminal not very far from my house which is a good thing! I also have a connection....an old friend will vouch for me!

This is the busy season at my store so I'll apply in a month or so. The application process probably takes about a month so starting after Jan 1 would be realistic. Not crazy about starting a new gig mid-winter but snow never bothered me. At least not as much as wet ice! I've run the Maine Tpke in winter and it's definately a challenge! The worse part of running in bad weather is the a-holes who CAN'T drive in it. Most times, though, the roads are pretty empty later in the night. Getting stuck in rush hour traffic at the beginning or height of a storm bites the big one!

All for now. I'll PM ya if you want a progress report later on!

This is the busy season at my store so I'll apply in a month or so. The application process probably takes about a month so starting after Jan 1 would be realistic.

Hub-City, There is a downside to starting on 1/1 that you may not have thought of. Freight levels drop off drastically for the first 3-4 months of the year and things can get pretty slow. I know ADP has a no layoff policy but there is no guarantee of how many hours you may get. I've heard that ADP does a good job of trying to get guys their hours but there is only so much work they can create when things get slow.Being the bottom man means you'll be the first one to have your hours cut.

Good luck to you. I've heard many good things about ADP.

This is the busy season at my store so I'll apply in a month or so. The application process probably takes about a month so starting after Jan 1 would be realistic.

Hub-City, There is a downside to starting on 1/1 that you may not have thought of. Freight levels drop off drastically for the first 3-4 months of the year and things can get pretty slow. I know ADP has a no layoff policy but there is no guarantee of how many hours you may get. I've heard that ADP does a good job of trying to get guys their hours but there is only so much work they can create when things get slow.Being the bottom man means you'll be the first one to have your hours cut.

Good luck to you. I've heard many good things about ADP.

Seefer,

thanks for mentioning slow freight. I have an eye out for that and may very well apply earlier. On the other hand, I don't need fulltime work. Casual suits me fine: one or two 2-4 runs are fine by me. I'm not looking to get rich: I just want to do good work for a good company. I've busted nuts for ungrateful companies before. Not this time. In fact, I refuse runs now and again because of the unrealistic dispatch xpectations. I also refused one because the tractor was a death-trap. It's not worth it anymore! From what I know, Duie has fine equipment and I think that's due in part to the quality of their drivers and employees...

Hearing from your wife firsthand that ADP is a good place is probably the best reference one needs make an informed decision. I've read forum "reviews" and they seem to be long on good and short on gripes! Your wifes' testimony lends credibility to this.

They have a terminal not very far from my house which is a good thing! I also have a connection....an old friend will vouch for me!

This is the busy season at my store so I'll apply in a month or so. The application process probably takes about a month so starting after Jan 1 would be realistic. Not crazy about starting a new gig mid-winter but snow never bothered me. At least not as much as wet ice! I've run the Maine Tpke in winter and it's definately a challenge! The worse part of running in bad weather is the a-holes who CAN'T drive in it. Most times, though, the roads are pretty empty later in the night. Getting stuck in rush hour traffic at the beginning or height of a storm bites the big one!

All for now. I'll PM ya if you want a progress report later on!

Yes, definitly let me know how it goes with the progress, its good that you have other things that can make you money, that way you won't have to worry about the slow time, one of the benefits of living in the NE, you are used to the bad weather, I hope you get on with them, like I said I'm pulling for you, it sounds like a great opportunity for you, good luck and let me know...and don't be such a stranger!!

reply to hub city

Line haul is Ok, decent money, good equip., bennies. As for Boston, two new terminals are going to open- Johnston, RI, and Northboro,MA. The Webster,Ma term will close and divide into these 2. They are always looking for Linehaul drivers there, if you have 4 yrs. experience, it'll only take 2 yrs. to top rate. Check them out.

Line haul is Ok, decent money, good equip., bennies. As for Boston, two new terminals are going to open- Johnston, RI, and Northboro,MA. The Webster,Ma term will close and divide into these 2. They are always looking for Linehaul drivers there, if you have 4 yrs. experience, it'll only take 2 yrs. to top rate. Check them out.

I'll do that! Thanks!

Does ADP ever hire rookie drivers with no experience as linehaul, or as anything for that matter? Or am I dreaming? I remember I went to a trucking career fair at NETTTS driving school and ADP had a tent there as well as a new Mack truck parked at the lot, so that leads me to believe they do consider rookies. I'd work for $5/hour to get Class A experience... I live in worcester county so the NBoro terminal is right next door. I spoke with the recruiter and he seemed like a real nice guy.

well i don't work for pyle....god knows i tried to get on... i even tested/interviewed at webster before they moved to the new RI terminal.....

when you find out, let me know too.....

newbee's

:smilie_132::smilie_132:they do hire new drivers, you have to start out on the dock for a few months and basically prove yourself. So apply for the dock and make sure to let them know you have a CDL lic.

:smilie_132::smilie_132:they do hire new drivers, you have to start out on the dock for a few months and basically prove yourself. So apply for the dock and make sure to let them know you have a CDL lic.

well i don't know about that, (starting on the dock i mean)...i got 20 years experience....i think i "proved myself" long ago.......

You need to contact the local terminal. They actually have a driving school and will train you and everything. As long as you have a clean record and a good head on your shoulders, you will be OK. There is a contract you will have to sign, committing to 1-2 years, or you will have to reimburse them for the schooling.

You will be happy there. And everyone is desperate for good drivers.

just started with adp a month ago, and i gotta say, they were honest about everything, and so far its been exactly what they said it would be. a decent place to work, the money isnt bad, the equipment isnt bad, all in all i'm pretty happy with it.