TForce | What's the fastest way from harrisburg to richmond?

maxicoze

TB Regular
Credits
1) What's the fastest way from grumpyburg (harrisburg) to bichmond (richmond)?

Not necessarily the BEST way, but the fastest way-----because I-83 is very twisty and hilly and is tight during rush hours.

Although, here let's assume middle of the night.

2) What's the BEST way.
Here, not necessarily the fastest way.

I think use to take I-81, to I-66, then Rt.17 to I-95

Dead south on US 15.

Get on the interstate below Marysburg before taking US 15 south straight through.

You will pass Gettysburg PA, cross into Maryland towards Frederick then have a choice of routes towards richmond.

IF you are a 48 foot trailer (NOT A 53 ... or ... 65 foot overall length or shorter Stay on 15 into Virginia crossing just west of DC, cross over US 50 through Manassas, Find US 17 near Opal run east until I-95 at Freeericksburg VA 133mile marker, take 95 south.

Washington is in chaos, so bypass it entirely on US 15.

Scales at US 15 x US 50 near Manassas. Maybe open maybe not.

DO NOT stop anywhere in Manassas because the local Judge hates truckers has for years. Falls back on your overall length at 65 feet long for combination vehicle tractor and trailer oR a 48 foot trailer or two pups etc.

Mind your overhang. IF a 48 foot, set that rear axle tires about 4 feet inboard from the ICC bumper if you can do it by weight.

IF you get hungry there is a fast food stop at Opal US 15 at or near US 17. But a Fredericksburg Truckstop series at I-95 from roughly 133B mile marker straight to richmond.

FAST? Well if its 2 am, go on. Get going yer late.

IF its rush hour? Forget it. You will get down here eventually.

DO not use 81 to get out of PA. You cross into a little bit of WVA too far west and have to recross to get back over to Richmond in the mountains. Not worth the fuel burn.

These are general ideas and I usually run that route. Doublecheck on the trailer restrictions on US 15 in Virignia first. IF you are overlength say with a big sleeper tractor nose and a 53 foot, Manassas will be joyfully fining you, inspecting you and in generally shafting you.

Dont be stupid.

IF you are overlength, do a little hop over the US 301 and cross that big narrow bridge into Virginia just east of DC. You will have to fight half of maryland's traffic to do it but the reward is a pastoral country drive towards Richmond using a roundabout in virginia.

In PA being on US 15 hop off in frederick Md and route yourself to US 301 bridge

The very existance of DC and pending work on the Legion Bridge crossing into VA on 495 really royally effs everyone.

95 N-Us17N-I-66W-81N to Us 11. I think that is pay route #1.. Not a bad ride... I-64 to I-81 is pay route 2 if I remember correctly...

Dead south on US 15.

Get on the interstate below Marysburg before taking US 15 south straight through.

You will pass Gettysburg PA, cross into Maryland towards Frederick then have a choice of routes towards richmond.

IF you are a 48 foot trailer (NOT A 53 ... or ... 65 foot overall length or shorter Stay on 15 into Virginia crossing just west of DC, cross over US 50 through Manassas, Find US 17 near Opal run east until I-95 at Freeericksburg VA 133mile marker, take 95 south.

Washington is in chaos, so bypass it entirely on US 15.

Scales at US 15 x US 50 near Manassas. Maybe open maybe not.

DO NOT stop anywhere in Manassas because the local Judge hates truckers has for years. Falls back on your overall length at 65 feet long for combination vehicle tractor and trailer oR a 48 foot trailer or two pups etc.

Mind your overhang. IF a 48 foot, set that rear axle tires about 4 feet inboard from the ICC bumper if you can do it by weight.

IF you get hungry there is a fast food stop at Opal US 15 at or near US 17. But a Fredericksburg Truckstop series at I-95 from roughly 133B mile marker straight to richmond.

FAST? Well if its 2 am, go on. Get going yer late.

IF its rush hour? Forget it. You will get down here eventually.

DO not use 81 to get out of PA. You cross into a little bit of WVA too far west and have to recross to get back over to Richmond in the mountains. Not worth the fuel burn.

These are general ideas and I usually run that route. Doublecheck on the trailer restrictions on US 15 in Virignia first. IF you are overlength say with a big sleeper tracto

I've tried the Rt. 15 thing and it seems like the speed limit and lights (although not that many) seems like it might be a slower way? Not to mention, the road gets REAL narrow in some places....on lane in each direction....etc. One of the manassas boys was implying to me that I-81 to I-66 is the fastest/best way from HRS to Manassas? It was late and i was sleepy so i may not have got it word for word.......

And yes, i have seen the overlength signs on RT.15 (knock on wood.......) i'm thinking a set with a daycab is over 65 ft?

2) i know DC is a clusterf, but let's assume there is no traffic and construction. i should have said that in the original post. i'm thinking 2am, it is still fairly empty.
Would taking I-83, then balto, then dc and straight down I-95 be a good route?

95 N-Us17N-I-66W-81N to Us 11. I think that is pay route #1.. Not a bad ride... I-64 to I-81 is pay route 2 if I remember correctly...

About the I-81 to I-64.
i've tried this, and, i really didn't want to divulge this, although some of you may already know this, but not all of our tractors do 68. i've already said too much.

Anyways, i have a hunch this route may actually be as fast as any other route combination.

With the combination of a fast tractor, absolutely no signal lights and a high speed limit
i feel, even with the extra mileage (not sure how much), this route can be just as fast, possibly THE fastest way. Especially compared to a 68mph tractor. Theoretically you could go non-stop, although i've never been able to do it.

However, i never kept good records as far as time/distance; i was always in a hurry so i didn't really have time to keep track.

i only run road sporatically now, as i'm the backup road driver at my terminal.

I've tried the Rt. 15 thing and it seems like the speed limit and lights (although not that many) seems like it might be a slower way? Not to mention, the road gets REAL narrow in some places....on lane in each direction....etc. One of the manassas boys was implying to me that I-81 to I-66 is the fastest/best way from HRS to Manassas? It was late and i was sleepy so i may not have got it word for word.......

And yes, i have seen the overlength signs on RT.15 (knock on wood.......) i'm thinking a set with a daycab is over 65 ft?

2) i know DC is a clusterf, but let's assume there is no traffic and construction. i should have said that in the original post. i'm thinking 2am, it is still fairly empty.
The fastest way at night is the 0 {zero} route. US-15, I-70E, I-270, I-495, I-95S.

Damn Sir. You are good.

I clean FORGOT the York-Baltmore option. Hell If you are in Harrisburg you are near York anyway. Have at it.
\
There are new scales on 83 south but I am out of date with my knowledge with one important exception for Maryland near say Hunt Valley etc.

STAY. ON. 83 straight down. DO NOT try to use State routes along 83. There is actually a ban on through trucks on those relatively local routes by Maryland and troopers will run you down with like a 500.00 ticket.

Stay on 83 straight down. When you reach 695 go west around to 70 You could stay on 695 to Jessup and thence south via 95.

There is also a Hanover Option straight south into Carroll County on 97 state route etc. Work your way to DC through the woods. You will need some horses to get out of there.

Yes its slower. But you are not risking everything in the horrible DC aggressive driving etc.

To this day I cannot bring myself to physically be near DC. Its too much of a reminder of bad old days. If anywhere in the USA is a trouble for hitting people or cars etc it will be on 495, 295, 395 etc etc etc etc.

When I traveled Maryland I used to run the woods on the smaller roads. Less blood pressure, heart trouble and hardly any stress considering some of the good food availible.

There is a traffic light at Battlefield Crossing. Make sure your rig has hit the second diamond and then set up your boot for a fast stop if it throws a red in your face at double nickel.

I am reduced to tossing peanuts salted from the way in the back cheap seats.

You will want to wait until US15 off 66 to zip south on the big fourlaner to the US 17. Be faster that way.

I hope you have the horses. You will be taking on a special mountain district called the Front Range. Its not conductive to keeping schedules.