TForce | When did Overnight get taken over by UPS Freight?

UPS bought Overnight 8/2005 to form UPS Freight. There was no UPS Freight b/4 that time.
OK, appreciate that, I couldn't remember exactly what went down, I remember Overnight going Union and that fight lasted a long time. Were they Union by the time UPS bought them all the way or some terminals?

It is spelled OVERNITE !!

Before UPS bought them they were at one time owned by Union Pacific Railroad. That happened in 1986. They remained a part of Union Pacific for 12 years. Union Pacific sells Overnite
Prior to UPS takeover, I worked for them for just shy of 20 years,/ During that time I thought I would have worked there for life. No Union. No outside company. Great company to work for. Looking back I should have never left.

Before UPS bought them they were at one time owned by Union Pacific Railroad. That happened in 1986. They remained a part of Union Pacific for 12 years. Union Pacific sells Overnite
Prior to UPS takeover, I worked for them for just shy of 20 years,/ During that time I thought I would have worked there for life. No Union. No outside company. Great company to work for. Looking back I should have never left.
Where were you domiciled?
I had friends who ran out of Charl.

I always thought it was OVERSITE ??

bought Overnite for 1.2 billion and sold them for 800 million plus with other terms attached the UPS has to pay. Sound to me UPS whated to just get rid of the freight end and sold them at a very big loss
UPS bought them with the intent of competing with FedEx Freight. Not so sure they wanted to continue on with it. FedEx Frt fully integrated their logo scheme onto all of the American Freightways and Watkins equipment. UPS Frt. never fully did that and there are still some Overnite signage on equipment to this day.

UPS bought them with the intent of competing with FedEx Freight. Not so sure they wanted to continue on with it. FedEx Frt fully integrated their logo scheme onto all of the American Freightways and Watkins equipment. UPS Frt. never fully did that and there are still some Overnite signage on equipment to this day.
I believe the purchase was more in line with buying out of the CSPF which was a financial anchor to UPS. 1.2 billion for ovnt. 6 billion to buy out the liability to the CSPF all for the trade of 10000 new dues paying teamsters.

I believe the purchase was more in line with buying out of the CSPF which was a financial anchor to UPS. 1.2 billion for ovnt. 6 billion to buy out the liability to the CSPF all for the trade of 10000 new dues paying teamsters.
That's what it was, 10,000 possible Union members for an exit plan from the CSPF.

UPS could never implement their 1-step per second system to the LTL business. They then decided to use UPS Freight as a “bundle package” to tie UPS package business with freight business. The Freight business was the sacrificial lamb as far as pricing was concerned. They never invested in the LTL like Fed-X, who went out to be #1 from the beginning.