XPO | When You Realize The Kid Running The Taco Bell Makes As Much Or More Than You

If this is what it pays to sell tacos, what are these kids doing working here as FOSs for ? Most of them are probably making less than half that. I doubt the FOMs even make half that. Maybe close. Depends on tenure. But still a good bit less than $100K.
Just check indeed and the average salary for assistant manger was around $45K which is what our FOS are.

If this is what it pays to sell tacos, what are these kids doing working here as FOSs for ? Most of them are probably making less than half that. I doubt the FOMs even make half that. Maybe close. Depends on tenure. But still a good bit less than $100K.
An exceptionally bright and talented young I/b fos got hired at my barn a few years back. I mean this kid was good. After being with the company about a year he asked for a little more money to keep from going to the poor farm. He told management that he had another job lined up that would better meet his financial needs. He told management that he wanted to stay with xpo, but if they were not willing to up his pay, then he’d have to leave. Management told him... ‘there’s the door son.’So he’s now working elsewhere making what he needs to survive!
why couldn’t management give just a little?

An exceptionally bright and talented young I/b fos got hired at my barn a few years back. I mean this kid was good. After being with the company about a year he asked for a little more money to keep from going to the poor farm. He told management that he had another job lined up that would better meet his financial needs. He told management that he wanted to stay with xpo, but if they were not willing to up his pay, then he’d have to leave. Management told him... ‘there’s the door son.’So he’s now working elsewhere making what he needs to survive!
Seen that exact story play out myself a couple times. I remember when Xpo took over the head of HR told our local management Jacobs never pays more than mediocre at any of his companies and to look elsewhere if that wasn’t sufficient . Thought that was a strange thing then but it has definitely played out that way based on the lack of enthusiasm and the retention rate of management. Where’s the reward for loyalty and hard work for them.
I think it’s safe to say at almost 4 years into the Xpo takeover that Xpo is a no frills employer at best. The economy is fairly strong but a weak economy should further show what their made of . As the orange man says “we’ll see”

Last edited:
This happens all the time not just here. We hear this all the time from poster on here how much better and greener the grass is over at (fill in the blank) company but yet they are still here. So he gave XPO a chance to counter the offer he was given and XPO refused to match it. That's there chose. Many would have just left and moved on and many have

Initially, it was his obvious plan to set a brush fire through Con-way. Addition by subtraction. Money matters. Cut everything down to the bare bones. Now all the sudden he " says " that he wants to be a pure play LTL. Well, you got a lot of work to do there Jacobs. You done chased off all these drivers and management. And a lot of them are working at these other LTLs that you are now in competition with. And they got an ax to grind. And will bend over backwards to beat you. Good job ! Somebody mail this guy a star card !

Initially, it was his obvious plan to set a brush fire through Con-way. Addition by subtraction. Money matters. Cut everything down to the bare bones. Now all the sudden he " says " that he wants to be a pure play LTL. Well, you got a lot of work to do there Jacobs. You done chased off all these drivers and management. And a lot of them are working at these other LTLs that you are now in competition with. And they got an ax to grind. And will bend over backwards to beat you. Good job ! Somebody mail this guy a star card !
How bout a Quarterly Leader Award too, only makes sense,right ?

Pretty easily. I have in the past had some jealous ones ask me what makes drivers worth what they make. And I tell them. Because no one will do this work for that little. We can’t hardly get people to do it for what drivers make now.
Also, the FOS position is generally a stepping stone for most as they progress into higher levels of management.

I was talking to an R&L driver that I hadn't seen before. He said regular guy that ran the area had moved to Florida. R&L packed all of his belongings into a trailer and hauled them south.
1/2 true. They'll spot a pup for you but you pack it and if you don't use all the space they'll put a sealable bulkhead in the trailer and they may put freight behind that. If you use the whole pup, you seal it. So technically they don't pack you but it is a nice little fringe for some

Increases in stress and drama. Increased the rate of turnover. Didn’t think that was possible after surviving the Terminator.
1/2 true. They'll spot a pup for you but you pack it and if you don't use all the space they'll put a sealable bulkhead in the trailer and they may put freight behind that. If you use the whole pup, you seal it. So technically they don't pack you but it is a nice little fringe for some
Sounds like U-Pack from ABF Freight. Space left in the trailer? They’ll put freight behind it. Full trailer? Outbound dock closes the trailer to the EOL terminal closest to the destination. There were numerous moving companies near our terminal that would pack (and load) your stuff for you. For a....nominal....fee. Hint: It costs more than a half-rack of beer!

When I bought my house in the late 1970's the company I drove for let me have a city tractor and jitterbug over the weekend to move myself from my apartment to the house. A relatively local move of course. The good old days.

When I bought my house in the late 1970's the company I drove for let me have a city tractor and jitterbug over the weekend to move myself from my apartment to the house. A relatively local move of course. The good old days.
Back in the early eighties on a Friday, I ask the terminal manager where I worked if I could use a tractor and trailer to move on Saturday. His reply was to make sure I fueled up the tractor when I got off of work.

My dad moved us twice using company equipment in the 70's, lots different now