Where are all the NASCAR fans?

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
Today Feb.,21st is the super bowl of NASCAR,I guess it is a bit odd that the opening of the seasons biggest race is the super bowl,when the football season ends with the biggest game.

Oh all right may be that stock car race started & was made popular by red necks.
The majority of the racers & fans are pretty much still in that category.

Well then FYI for anyone interested the race starts at 1:20 PM EST.
Any prediction of who the winner may be?
I'm liking Jimmy Johnson,I have always been a fan of Jeff Gordon,however he's retired & is announcing.
Seeing Jeff owns Jimmy's car I will be following him this year.

With the constant rule changing and this new charter deal it may sour more fans. I realize it's a business but I am starting to lose interest in it. In past years I was really excited about the Daytona 500. I've gone to the race and the duals twice. I'll watch the race today but I'm not really psyched about it. In a restrictor plate race anyone could actually win. Trevor Baine proved that 5 years ago. I'm not an Earnhardt fan but if I was betting it would be on Junior

It was a good race with a great finish. I was cheering the finish when I thought that Truex had won. I couldn't understand why the 11 pit crew was celebrating. But I am happy for Hamlin he deserver the win.

Yes Crystal I have also lost some interest with the sport.
I do agree with you about how the rules seem to be changing from year to year.

I also agree that it was a really close finish.

I myself have been following stock car racing from the local dirt tracks to the NASCAR circuit on TV for as long as I can remember.

This race was a restricter plate race which matches the engines pretty close,so you do have to wonder how some of the cars are able to start far back & still advance to the front as fast as they do.
But all in all it is still entertaining if you pick a favorite driver & hang in with them through the good & the bad.
Other than that I guess it would be a big waste of time just for the sake of watching a long race,or selecting a good movie.

Growing up in the late forties and early fifties around Charlotte, I was a stout race fan, but in the past few years, my interest has really dwindled. It was one time that a Ford was a Ford and a Chevy a Chevy, no more! Those machines out there today a pure racing machine. And I cannot stand a restrictor plate race. Yesterday, I would flip from the race to a good movie and flip back for a minute or two. It has been years since I attended a race. I remember going to Bristol in the late sixties and tickets were $9.00 for a really good seat. Back when I was a teen-ager, my best friend and I would go to Spartanburg couple times a month and we always got in the infield because we wanted up near the pits because we wanted to see the fights. NASCAR has changed, I don't like it.

I didn't watch the race. NASCAR has been overtaken by politics & political correctness. The new rules remove any possibility for an independent team to run a full schedule & stand a chance to win. If I want to see real racing I go to a local track. NHRA is still my choice for championship racing but there are too many multi car teams competing in the professional classes. I don't plan to get back into drag racing. My reaction time has slowed over the years.

I agree with just about everything that has been posted. I used to be an avid fan but more and more the business end is turning me off. DMC Doc is right about the independent teams chances under the new charter system. It costs many million to run a team and owners like Childress, Gibbs, Rousch and Penske have the deck stacked in their favor. Why else would Kaufman shut down MWR, sell off the assets and buy into Ganassi? It seems to me it's strictly business.

I used to enjoy watching NASCAR shows with guys like Schrader, Benson, Michael Waltrip an even Jimmy Spencer. They would recap the race and call it like they saw it. That doesn't happen much anymore. About the only ones who still speak their minds are Ricky Craven and Kenny Wallace. IMO the rest are just shills trying to put NASCAR's best face forward. A couple of years ago I was so pissed when Harvick swapped his entire over the wall pit crew for Stewarts crew. I actually called Moody's radio show after hearing Harvick's crew chief brag about how they are all like family and how close the team is.

The original team had 2 wins and Stewart's didn't have any. Yet SHR swapped pit crews in order to win that championship. Moody treated me fairly on the radio but he defended the swap as purely a smart business move. I asked him where the loyalty was and he stuck with the smart business line. I listen occasionally but they are still shills protecting NASCAR and their jobs...............................I swore off going to anymore races but I might go to Darlington on a bus ride this year anyway.

I have always followed Jeff Gordon,from back in the day before he started racing in Winston Cup.
2 years ago when the chase rules were changed,I felt NASCAR really did Jeff wrong when he had a few wins,& poles.
Yet the top points went to drivers with top 5's & 10's with no wins.

So when Jeff said he would retire after last year I couldn't blame him.
Thats when my interest really took a nose dive.
However I still like watching the start,as well as the first,& last 50 laps of some of the big tracks,& recaps on the internet of some of the other tracks.
I guess I have found better ways to spend my time,even though I was a real fan at one time.

Another thing, I cannot stand the pre-race activities. It was once country music, now "rock". For one hour, we are exposed to some of the worse entertainment and then here comes the introduction of the drivers and have you noticed the "Coke Cola" drivers, all have a Coke in their hands, then during an interview, they have to take a drink of Coke. Sickening ain't the word for it!

I hope NASCAR knows what it's doing. The TV ratings were down for Daytona and only 39 cars are entered in tomorrow's race in Atlanta. I think this charter deal will hurt the show.

Where are all the NASCAR fans?

i lost interest in many (if not all) types of racing, since the days of Don Garlits, and Don Prudome and Cale Yarbororgh, to name only a few i can remember right now.

the olden days of racing may have certainly been more dangerous, and certainly more deadly than today's racing. but the fuel crisis and limited fuel supplies, the constant crashing or bumping into one another, have made it not much of any type of sport i want to watch, especially when in football, the crashing and bumping into one another can lead to a dropped ball and a possible touch down.

the bumping and crashing into one another on a track, can be deadly, and for what, an frigging trophy.>???

the bumping and crashing into one another on a track, can be deadly, and for what, an frigging trophy.>???
You make a good point but IMO NASCAR is strictly about the $$$$$$$$$$$$. Sure the drivers love to race and most would probably do it for free. But it's big business for everyone else involved in the sport.................. When I saw a new post in the thread I thought it was going to be about Brian France, Newman, Ragan and the Elliotts endorsing Trump

[QUOTE="Crystal, post: .................. When I saw a new post in the thread I thought it was going to be about Brian France, Newman, Ragan and the Elliotts endorsing Trump[/QUOTE]

This did it for me. I highly doubt if I will watch another race and I know very well that NASCAR will never get another dime of my money. I cannot believe NASCAR, well maybe I can, in my opinion Brain France and Donal Trump are "two peas in a pod". Two "ego-manics!.

Last edited:
bGXZsRY.jpg

Atlanta TV Ratings UPDATE: Continuing a rough start to the season, NASCAR's second race of the season scored its lowest overnight since FOX acquired rights. NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from Atlanta earned a 3.7 overnight rating on FOX Sunday afternoon, down 27% from last year (5.1) and the lowest overnight for the second race of the season since FOX began airing races in 2001

http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/story/_/page/NASCAR-Televison-Ratings-2016

LOL--NASCAR dying and Brian France playing politics with Donald Trump. What do they say about the 3rd generation??

Two major problems with NASCAR...they went commercial while pricing their hardcore fans out of the sport and their season is entirely too long...it would be a lot more interesting if the season only last 5-6 months like every other sport! I usually watch in the beginning, keep up some what through the All-Star race, then I'm ready for an ending around August...about the time baseball is getting interesting and football is getting cranked up. After August, who really cares about Nascar anymore??

I don't like the Chase format & I don't like the Super Team concept. That makes it nearly impossible for small, lower funded teams to compete even if they are competitive. There is much better racing at local tracks.

Another thing, I cannot stand the pre-race activities. It was once country music, now "rock". For one hour, we are exposed to some of the worse entertainment and then here comes the introduction of the drivers and have you noticed the "Coke Cola" drivers, all have a Coke in their hands, then during an interview, they have to take a drink of Coke. Sickening ain't the word for it!

That's their end of the deal w/ Coke...Coke gives them tons of money, and they give Coke tons of national tv exposure to their product. NASCAR, it's sponsors,(primarily Goodyear, `1Sunoco & Coke a Cola), it's race teams, it's drivers are all nothing but business men trying to make a buck off their loyal and devoted fans.

Has anybody noticed the empty seats at most NASCAR races? I would like to see attendance numbers this year compared to previous years. I know several people that went to several cup races every year for many years but now opt to attend local races. NASCAR is not listening to the fans.