XPO | Where is our RAISE

Know alot of mechanics, carpenters, electrician, plumbers, and HVAC tech that have to buy there own tools. The one mechanic I know has over $30K wrapped up in tools

Why not. People have more respect and responsible when they are tied to an item financially..How many wrench's to you find in you truck when it come back from the shop. 8yrs and have yet to find one

Why should management be responsible??? There not the one taking them on the street. It's like saying management is responsible for the tractor trailer you are driving.

I have pull 3 jack off this year at your place. I done doing it. If your drivers are to lazy to back in the dock and pull off there jack, I'm sure there on OT by then, then so am I. My city drivers thank you for the extra equipment.

Now that's funny....You are saying you have no management so who would I tell???
Accountable....Really. I seen city driver not enter hazmat details and the load come into the FAC without placards. I sure no ones held accountable for that....

If you call someone out they going crying to HR or the union in your case and say they are being bullied. The problem today is the management is to afraid to hold someone accountable and driver have no self pride in the job
That's a good post, mostly, but I don't agree at all with the first part as pallet jacks and hand trucks have traditionally been owned by the companies there is no reason to change that.... and the part about management not having any responsibility for them because you take them out on the street....I take my truck out on the street too and if I damage it, they would investigate and do whatever they felt they needed to do, same thing with pallet jacks, company property so the company should also keep track of it.....Oh and by the way I have found tools in my truck more than once after it came out of a shop..

That's a good post, mostly, but I don't agree at all with the first part as pallet jacks and hand trucks have traditionally been owned by the companies there is no reason to change that.... and the part about management not having any responsibility for them because you take them out on the street....I take my truck out on the street too and if I damage it, they would investigate and do whatever they felt they needed to do, same thing with pallet jacks, company property so the company should also keep track of it.....
The problem here at least my place and OV-10 is jacks are not assigned. Back in the day when I worked for AF I was assigned a jack and a hand tucks. I had my lock, I was the only one having the key, and a chain and locked it up everyday when I came back. I was responsible for them, if they broke the replaced it, if I lost it it was my azz. Though I can't remember if they charged you for them if you lost one.
We had one guy do that, locked one up they came out with the bolt cutters and cut his lock off.

Oh and by the way I have found tools in my truck more than once after it came out of a shop..
I love free tools.. Got some from my GMC dealer over the years.....The one thing I sure the company didn't pay to replace that mechanics lost tool.

The problem here at least my place and OV-10 is jacks are not assigned. Back in the day when I worked for AF I was assigned a jack and a hand tucks. I had a my lock, i the only one having the key, and a chain and locked it up everyday when I came back. I was responsible for them, if they broke the replaced it, if I lost it it was my azz. Though I can't remember if they charged you for them if you lost one.
We had one guy do that, locked one up they came out with the bolt cutters and cut his lock off.
That would be fair....I have never lost one....two different times in my career I have turned around to go back and get one....My question on that would be who would implement such a system? Management? Lol

I sure you remember the old Roadway truck with the hand truck on the front bumper. we need to get OV-10 one of these

rr-truck.jpg
They have one of these in the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation on the grounds of the Rouge Plant in Dearborn MI....I went there three years ago, took a tour of the Rouge Plant where they make F150s, Greenfield Village (very cool place with the theme being history of transportation and buildings around 1900)..... highly recommend it...

They have one of these in the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation on the grounds of the Rouge Plant in Dearborn MI....I went there three years ago, took a tour of the Rouge Plant where they make F150s, Greenfield Village (very cool place with the theme being history of transportation and buildings around 1900)..... highly recommend it...
Just think what the new driver would say if they had to drive one of these
1968 Ford C-700 the pride of Roadway. They were still running these into the late
90's

rr2.md.jpg

The real question why in the last few years have the pay gone up so much and so fast. Is it at were it need to be, No, but in all my years as a driver the amount of the raise % is alot greater. Hell I remember the days of only getting a $.10 per hr raise. The last raise was well over $1. When I started here top pay in my area was $19 now it at $32. I think when I left LTL freight back in early 2003 top rate was around $15 to 16 per hr. So from 2003 to 2014 top pay only went up about $4. or on average $.36 per yr raise. Were as in the last 8yrs it went up $13 or on average $1.65 per year raise.
Now before you all gang up and want to bring up free healthcare and pension back then, you can't because the company I left had no pension and we paid into a healthcare plan just like I do when I started here.

Years ago we did more work then we do now. Hell these new driver couldn't even read a map book let alone drive a truck with a manual trans. They are leaving as fast as the schools are pumping them out. We had 2 so far come out of the XPO crash course school and quit one only was here one day after school. We have another waiting for his 6 months to be up to collect the sign on bonus then he gone.

As I look around my area more and more driving jobs are paying close to what we are. 30 to 35 per hour with NO dock, no pallet jacking freight or unloading, drop and hook, home everyday with weekends and holidays off and I sure a hell of alot of less stress. Some pay OT and other do not. Many are leaving for better working condition, better work life balance, but not so much for better pay. Right now there not one LTL carrier that's not hiring. If they want to get more and better driver then it's time to dig deep and start paying more then just an hourly rate..
The problem is the inflation rate! Although we have gotten bigger raises it is woefully lagging behind cost of durable goods, groceries, energy bills, gas, and healthcare! Now companies like xpo Fedex etc., they have raised there rates in kind as there expenses have gone up, but have you noticed the larger and larger profit margins of xpo Fedex freight OD and Estes. The raises we have received are not keeping up with the cost of living. This world is heading for higher and higher prices on all goods and services along with shortages in every sector!

The problem is the inflation rate! Although we have gotten bigger raises it is woefully lagging behind cost of durable goods, groceries, energy bills, gas, and healthcare! Now companies like xpo Fedex etc., they have raised there rates in kind as there expenses have gone up, but have you noticed the larger and larger profit margins of xpo Fedex freight OD and Estes. The raises we have received are not keeping up with the cost of living. This world is heading for higher and higher prices on all goods and services along with shortages in every sector!
Now don't leave out some of the union carriers...

Yet the tax and spend democrats are spending like a drunk sailor on shore leave. 87K new IRS agents and tax increase in this Inflection reduction act. You think stuff expense now just wait till next year. I see a repeat of the late 70s and early 80s repeating itself.

Inflation is a byproduct of a red hot economy . Demand outpaces supply . Prices go up not necessarily wages.

Last edited:
Inflation is a byproduct of a red hot economy . Demand outpaces supply . Prices go up not necessarily wages.
Yeah right! Nice try! If you haven’t noticed there are major parts and supply issues ie. shortages! Car sales alone are down a few million units last few years they have thousands of cars parked that can’t be sold because of chip shortages, we have truck parts on back order because there is no supply! Not because demand was any greater than other years, simply because the parts aren’t there! You have major inflation because the trump administration printed money like crazy in his last year in office and now Biden has ramped up spending even further! You get inflation from massive debt spending by your government and printing money like a madman!