Yellow | $$$ Where is the money at? $$$

Roadie

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey guys,

I was just curious to see what the opinion was. Where is the potential to make the most money?

City/Dock or Linehaul?

Thanks!:1036316054:

The answer is linehaul. But be ready to miss out on a lot of life in the meantime if you want to make all of the money that you can.

Yup, what they said. If I was to guess on average a linehaul driver makes about 65k to 80k depending on how hard you want to work.

Dock I would guess the average would be around 40k to 50k depending on the year and your seniority.

City I would guess would be around 45k to 60k depending how much overtime you work.

It just depends on your lifestyle and what type of schedule you can tolerate. Each job has it's good points and bad points, good luck.

The expenses incurred in linehaul is the difference. When you figure a meal (with tip) is an average of $10/meal it costs alot to run .

But then again, you get to stay at fabulous resorts like the Chicago Park Hotel and the Stafford Inn:1036316054:

Absolutely Linehaul. Never thought a guy could sneak out the back door of high school and make more money than 99% of my classmates. But be prepared to miss your kids growing up. I always said it wuz the best paying job I ever hated........

Well line-haul will make the most..with the raises city and dock are recieving with all the over time there being forced I know of at least 2 city men that made over 72000.00 in 2006 these men worked arond 58-60 hours a week.. and line drivers work around 60-70hrs so..line gets .01 -.02 pennies a mile on raises and city around .40-.50 an hour but that .40-.50 become .60-.75 after 40 hrs

Well, their not telling you everything... First it depends on your region. I see your in the central. You guys don't do much on drops and hooks except weekenks I would guess. Out in the east we do most of ours all the time, and thats about 10k a year. Yeah city and dock can make close to line haul(not really) but ask your self this... Would you rather be out there with no one looking over your shoulder? Do as you please. If your tired take a nap? Eat where you want to. Oh and by the way the post about spending money out here, it depends on how you do it. First, most pack lunch for the out trip, and you get to claim evry night out on your taxes, $52 a trip. Trust me, its sweet come tax time. But they do have one thing right, your not home. Any single guy should do it in my mind. Boo coo bucks, save tons in retirement(401k). And once you learn it, you get a lot of weekends off. Of course, you could be a dock mutt and hump freight for 12 hrs a day and come close to what we make, and work the yard/P&D and not even really come close, but hey thats up to you. Not trying to offend any body, but thats the truth in my area. Make 74k and worked 10 months, you decide.

Well line-haul will make the most..with the raises city and dock are recieving with all the over time there being forced I know of at least 2 city men that made over 72000.00 in 2006 these men worked arond 58-60 hours a week.. and line drivers work around 60-70hrs so..line gets .01 -.02 pennies a mile on raises and city around .40-.50 an hour but that .40-.50 become .60-.75 after 40 hrs

hmmm, at 60mph that equals $.60/hr all the time. Good day your avg. around 30ish per hr. , avg. day $25. you do the math.

I would agree with cookie monster on the average estimates of incomes. At 251 I heard alot of the senior dock guys made in the high 70's or low 80's but that's 7 days a week constantly. My opinion if you could get an early city bid start time would be ideal. The early city guys at our place like 3 a.m. or 5 a.m. are hitting there sixty hour limit on friday every week , sometimes they don't even have 8 hours to give them on friday. So otherwise they get 60 hrs. every week are home every night and have weekends off. That would be my cup of tea. Did hear a rumor some road drivers hit six figures down south.

I would agree with cookie monster on the average estimates of incomes. At 251 I heard alot of the senior dock guys made in the high 70's or low 80's but that's 7 days a week constantly. My opinion if you could get an early city bid start time would be ideal. The early city guys at our place like 3 a.m. or 5 a.m. are hitting there sixty hour limit on friday every week , sometimes they don't even have 8 hours to give them on friday. So otherwise they get 60 hrs. every week are home every night and have weekends off. That would be my cup of tea. Did hear a rumor some road drivers hit six figures down south.

There's a couple just about every where that hit that. When we had the metro bid(NYC) here, guys were hitting 60 plus just working 4 days a week at maybe 8 1/2hrs avg a night(except thursday which was 12.1) with weekends off.

Point in fact. You can make as much as you want on the road, no supervision. Pretty much take off when you want, if you know how to play the game.

To me, they are three different animals. First the dock and P+D guy is guaranteed 40 hours. That's $45k or there about. Most of the time during the week the P+D guy can make daily OT, but there's not much more OT on the weekends. The dock guy can make +2 hours per day and a 6th or 7th punch on his off days.

I will admit that I don't know that much about the road, but some of the guys that hustle take down some good $$. I also know that guys like IRC on a team run make good $$, but are gone a week at a time. Then there are some that don't know when to stop :27: DS.

At Yellow in Chicago(same pay scale), some of our sleeper team guys make six figuires, but they're never home. I can only speak for Chicago, but most guys here make between 50-60k their first year.

At Yellow in Chicago(same pay scale), some of our sleeper team guys make six figuires, but they're never home. I can only speak for Chicago, but most guys here make between 50-60k their first year.
Wonder how long it takes Bill Z to make that much?? OH Yea, he's got a collage degree, I think?!? :hide: DS.

I'm not taking anything away from Bill Z.........we depend on him to make the right decisions to make this company survive. But we actually do the work that makes the money that he puts into his pocket, so to me that means something. DS.

I'm not knocking the guy either, I wouldn't want that kinda reponsibility. I just wonder sometimes if alot of these CEO's are worth all the money companies pay em.