ABF | Where should I apply to straight out of CDL School?

My first job out of the military and from trucking school was Old Dominion. I would suggest starting there or any company that pulls doubles (twins, 2trailers, pups, etc). These seem to be the best jobs in the industry. Good luck.

My first job out of the military and from trucking school was Old Dominion. I would suggest starting there or any company that pulls doubles (twins, 2trailers, pups, etc). These seem to be the best jobs in the industry. Good luck.

Thank you for the info!

I would encourage you to search on indeed. Be sure to compare companies and ask questions. What'd you get at one company you might sacrifice at another. There's more driving jobs than ever before available, always a seat open. Keep your driving record clean.

I would encourage you to search on indeed. Be sure to compare companies and ask questions. What'd you get at one company you might sacrifice at another. There's more driving jobs than ever before available, always a seat open. Keep your driving record clean.

Ok great that’s what I’m going to do.

Most ltl companies are the same. Stay away from Central, Aaa cooper, Averitt, xpo, and Saia. Those carriers either have aggressive camera issues or pay poorly. Sefl and Estes are kinda on the bubble. Better than some worse than others. Top shelf... FedEx, UPS, AbF, Old Dominion

Most ltl companies are the same. Stay away from Central, Aaa cooper, Averitt, xpo, and Saia. Those carriers either have aggressive camera issues or pay poorly. Sefl and Estes are kinda on the bubble. Better than some worse than others. Top shelf... FedEx, UPS, AbF, Old Dominion

Thank you for the knowledge. Good to know. I don’t want to be jumping from company to company so I want to pick the right one first. Those 4 companies you listed seem pretty solid to me.

FYI....ABF is waving the 30 day probation period for new drivers at selected locations if hired by August 31. New hires will start at top pay. Also, if one new drivers goes to top pay, all hires go to top pay. This is according to Randy Johnson Atlanta linehall Transportation manager. The terminal is located at 1165 wilburn Avenue, Conley ga.

This is a Union job. All pay raises must be applied unilaterally, and without prejudice to all employees in that classification.

They can not single out a new hire....as classified,......and give him a raise based on a date,........without increasing all others in that classification.

If they are starting new hires at top pay,.....then they must increase every employee still within wage progression to top pay.
There is a contractual provision that says there is no limit as to how much the company can pay you,....but all pay raises must be applied unilaterally.

This was the issue last contract when.....after ABF realized they messed up badly by cutting vacations across the board,......they proposed exempting new hires from the vacation cut, so that they could get a weeks’ vacation in their first year.

That was roundly defeated by TNFINC......when ABF said it would apply to new hires only.

Maybe ArcBest has finally learned their lesson......You want to hire guys,....you give ‘em vacations the first year, eliminate wage progression,..offer a nice pension,.....and raise the pay......

Then, maybe....once again you’ll have those lines at your door like you did 10 years ago......

This is a Union job. All pay raises must be applied unilaterally, and without prejudice to all employees in that classification.

They can not single out a new hire....as classified,......and give him a raise based on a date,........without increasing all others in that classification.

If they are starting new hires at top pay,.....then they must increase every employee still within wage progression to top pay.
There is a contractual provision that says there is no limit as to how much the company can pay you,....but all pay raises must be applied unilaterally.

This was the issue last contract when.....after ABF realized they messed up badly by cutting vacations across the board,......they proposed exempting new hires from the vacation cut, so that they could get a weeks’ vacation in their first year.

That was roundly defeated by TNFINC......when ABF said it would apply to new hires only.

Maybe ArcBest has finally learned their lesson......You want to hire guys,....you give ‘em vacations the first year, eliminate wage progression,..offer a nice pension,.....and raise the pay......

Then, maybe....once again you’ll have those lines at your door like you did 10 years ago......
You are dead on. But you have pencil pushers running ABF not trucking people who came up thru the ranks. Like a watch repairman 30 days in to training trying to repair a Rolex. The watch will never be the same. Like ABF. von.

What’s up guys, I’m new to this forum. Was wondering what LTL companies are known for hiring new CDL school graduates. I live in Northern Nj . I would appreciate any advice . I’m here to learn .
Anywhere you can get 2 years safely under your belt. At the end of 2 years, become an owner operator & control your future. Or get out of the business all together. By then you will no if you want to do this for the next 40 years. von.

@Jtuminelli did you ever have any luck finding an LTL position directly out of CDL school? I'd love to hear more about your job search experience.

@Homesick I can't seem to pm you. I have military questions if you don't mind. Is there a way to enable pm? Thanks.

@Jtuminelli did you ever have any luck finding an LTL position directly out of CDL school? I'd love to hear more about your job search experience.

@Homesick I can't seem to pm you. I have military questions if you don't mind. Is there a way to enable pm? Thanks.
Wartown, I have been out of the military since 1987 and off fulltime active duty since 1985. I don't think there is much I can help you with there. But there are plenty of people on TB who may be able to answer your questions.

@Homesick thanks for the reply.
Wartown, this may interest you.......
Teamsters Military Assistance Program
Complete the registration form to find out more about opportunities that may fit your family’s needs.

Job Training Now Available for Military Personnel and Spouses

On August 16, 2018, representatives from the Teamsters Military Assistance Program (TMAP), along with representatives from Joint Council 3, the Teamsters Passenger Transportation Division, First Group (FG) and ABF, participated in the Soldier for Life Open House at the U.S. Army installation in Fort Carson, Colorado.

We hired a guy 2 years ago that went through the military program, and we have positions posted online for driver's. It's the Scranton Pa. terminal, not all that far from northern NJ.

@Homesick @GO40 @sabresfan Thank you all for the responses. I'm actually still active duty so I can't do any applying just yet. I'm just slowly collecting info and like to ask military folks about their transition experiences. I appreciate yall responding and helping out. Take care.